MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
As for Sage, interesting inteview with Faber on how badly Northcutt got hit and hurt.

Urijah Faber: Sage Northcutt’s cheek was ‘splintered’ into ‘30 pieces’ in ONE debut

Maybe it's me, but if One doesn't let people see the weigh ins, who's to say the guy's wraps weren't loaded? Seems like an awful lot of damage from a single punch. Sure, it was a good shot, but I've seen far worse that didn't do a third of that kind of damage. Definitely thinking there was more than a fist in that wrap.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
As for Sage, interesting inteview with Faber on how badly Northcutt got hit and hurt.

Urijah Faber: Sage Northcutt’s cheek was ‘splintered’ into ‘30 pieces’ in ONE debut

Maybe it's me, but if One doesn't let people see the weigh ins, who's to say the guy's wraps weren't loaded? Seems like an awful lot of damage from a single punch. Sure, it was a good shot, but I've seen far worse that didn't do a third of that kind of damage. Definitely thinking there was more than a fist in that wrap.

I was thinking that he had initial damage from the punch and then much worse damage because of how he landed. From what I've heard those bones in the face are kind of like an eggshell where you can absorb the first hit decently but if there is a second impact it can really damage you.

Reactions: LSCII

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Post-MMA Careers:

Paddy Holohan , who went 3-2 in UFC before retiring due to a blood disorder, won election to South Dublin city council earlier today.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Aspen Ladd and De Randamie are headlining the Sacramento card with Urijah Faber as the Co-Main. You couldn't pay me to go sit 6 hours for that card.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
He's not seeing that money - no way does some supplement company have 27 million lying around.

Yeah they didn't even show up in court to defend themselves. They will just file for Bankruptcy and probably won't see much if any of it in the end. It's all about clearing his name for Yoel he said though. I don't know if he is natty, I highly doubt it though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah they didn't even show up in court to defend themselves. They will just file for Bankruptcy and probably won't see much if any of it in the end. It's all about clearing his name for Yoel he said though. I don't know if he is natty, I highly doubt it though.

Between Olympics and the UFC and considering his age he's probably been tested more than anyone around, so if you don't believe he's clean then you probably shouldn't believe anyone is clean.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Aspen Ladd and De Randamie are headlining the Sacramento card with Urijah Faber as the Co-Main. You couldn't pay me to go sit 6 hours for that card.

One of the the weirder choices for a main event we've seen in a long time. The card in general looks like garbage.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Between Olympics and the UFC and considering his age he's probably been tested more than anyone around, so if you don't believe he's clean then you probably shouldn't believe anyone is clean.

He should be procreating 24/7 then so we can fight off the aliens when they invade. If you look like that at 42 all natty you literally hit the genetic jackpot.

Reactions: m9

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
What's with these weird releases? There are a number FAR worse fighters in UFC then the guys that were released.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What's with these weird releases? There are a number FAR worse fighters in UFC then the guys that were released.

I saw a bunch of flyweights coming off losses were cut - division is likely gone or limited, so no surprise there.

Theodorou was more of a surprise but he's also extremely boring.

Justin Willis seemed like a negotiation thing - they'll probably get it figured out.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I saw a bunch of flyweights coming off losses were cut - division is likely gone or limited, so no surprise there.

Theodorou was more of a surprise but he's also extremely boring.

Justin Willis seemed like a negotiation thing - they'll probably get it figured out.

Theodorou has always been a snoozer. Probably wanted big bucks and they told him to F off and be a ring girl like he has been.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

o_O

I get Suarez didn't look the best against Ansaroff, but it was still #2 beating #3. I'd get Rose getting a rematch. Shit, Joanna getting a title fight makes more sense. But Zhang? Don't get me wrong, I think she's legit, but she beat Torres and 2 other girls I never heard of in the UFC. I think Arial is right. This is only happening because there is a card in China. I think he also makes a good point that Dana says Watterson was ranked to low (which she is), but Zhang is only one spot higher.

Pretty cool from Andrade, though. Rose came to Brazil to defend against Andrade. Now Andrade is going to China to defend against Zhang.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

o_O

I get Suarez didn't look the best against Ansaroff, but it was still #2 beating #3. I'd get Rose getting a rematch. ****, Joanna getting a title fight makes more sense. But Zhang? Don't get me wrong, I think she's legit, but she beat Torres and 2 other girls I never heard of in the UFC. I think Arial is right. This is only happening because there is a card in China. I think he also makes a good point that Dana says Watterson was ranked to low (which she is), but Zhang is only one spot higher.

Pretty cool from Andrade, though. Rose came to Brazil to defend against Andrade. Now Andrade is going to China to defend against Zhang.

I'm just to have an active champ.

Sometimes it's more about timing with these title fights and I think Rose & Suarez both said they will be out for a bit.

I think Suarez will still get that title shot later in the year and there are many other options for Rose whenever she returns.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Sometimes it's more about timing with these title fights and I think Rose & Suarez both said they will be out for a bit.

I think Suarez will still get that title shot later in the year and there are many other options for Rose whenever she returns.

Yea and at the end of the day were talking about the woman's strawweight belt, not a big draw regardless.

Reactions: m9 and pistolpete11

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I understand your point and I can't really argue. We just aren't going to agree.

I don't think a champ should stay active just to stay active. The champ should fight the #1 contender. Not just any fighter because the UFC needs to fill up their cards (which they have too many of). If there's not a clear #1 contender, then wait for the division to shake out a little bit. I'll agree it's better than a champ sitting out for a year or something, but if Suarez needs a couple months to fix her neck and a few more for training camp, that's fine by me. She's earned the shot. If she's out longer than that (she said she wanted the fight, though...at least publicly), then have Zhang fight Joanna for the next title shot or something along those lines.

Each division is different of course. Jones, for example, there wasn't and really isn't anyone deserving of a title shot right now. So I didn't have a big problem with him fighting Smith and now Santos. Everyone in that division is/was a few fights away from really deserving a shot anyway. Although, if Smith beat Gus BEFORE fighting Jones, that would have made that fight a lot more exciting going into it. Or Valentina vs. anybody at WFW right now. But there's a clear cut #1 at SW and a few other girls that could make just as good of a case as Zhang. Either give it to Suarez or let it shake out with the other girls.

I know there's other things to consider like injuries, contracts, fighters want to fight to get paid, the UFC has to fill up so many cards, fighters turn down fights, but from an entertainment perspective, I don't like it. I think Zhang is only getting the fight because the UFC is marketing to China.

And another thing that bugs me was Dana mocking Waterson and/or the reporter that asked about her getting the next title shot because she's ranked too low. And then 4 days later you're setting up a title fight with the girl that's ranked just above her. I know a lot of people like Dana for stuff like that, but I hate that shut-up-I'm-smarter-than-you shit.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I understand your point and I can't really argue. We just aren't going to agree.

I don't think a champ should stay active just to stay active. The champ should fight the #1 contender. Not just any fighter because the UFC needs to fill up their cards (which they have too many of). If there's not a clear #1 contender, then wait for the division to shake out a little bit. I'll agree it's better than a champ sitting out for a year or something, but if Suarez needs a couple months to fix her neck and a few more for training camp, that's fine by me. She's earned the shot. If she's out longer than that (she said she wanted the fight, though...at least publicly), then have Zhang fight Joanna for the next title shot or something along those lines.

Each division is different of course. Jones, for example, there wasn't and really isn't anyone deserving of a title shot right now. So I didn't have a big problem with him fighting Smith and now Santos. Everyone in that division is/was a few fights away from really deserving a shot anyway. Although, if Smith beat Gus BEFORE fighting Jones, that would have made that fight a lot more exciting going into it. Or Valentina vs. anybody at WFW right now. But there's a clear cut #1 at SW and a few other girls that could make just as good of a case as Zhang. Either give it to Suarez or let it shake out with the other girls.

I know there's other things to consider like injuries, contracts, fighters want to fight to get paid, the UFC has to fill up so many cards, fighters turn down fights, but from an entertainment perspective, I don't like it. I think Zhang is only getting the fight because the UFC is marketing to China.

And another thing that bugs me was Dana mocking Waterson and/or the reporter that asked about her getting the next title shot because she's ranked too low. And then 4 days later you're setting up a title fight with the girl that's ranked just above her. I know a lot of people like Dana for stuff like that, but I hate that shut-up-I'm-smarter-than-you ****.

We definitely are in agreement that Suarez deserves the next title shot, all things being equal. When someone wins a #1 contenders fight the important part to me is that their next fight for the title - they shouldn't have to fight someone else before their next fight. It's very similar to Tony Ferguson here where we all know Khabib's next fight is versus Poirier, but despite that Tony Ferguson doesn't need another fight to get that title shot.

All indications are the UFC wanted Suarez to get that next fight as well but she has a neck injury and she needs time off to figure out what is going on with it. Neck injuries are weird - she just had a long layoff due to the injury and it's possible she's off for a long time again. Holding up a division because a challenger is injured just doesn't make any sense at all to me and it's completely unfair to a champion to have them wait around. You do things on the champ's schedule, not the other way around.

I actually think this all worked out pretty good for the UFC and the fans. That's a good main event for a free card in China and hopefully Suarez is ready to fight the winner around the end of the year when she's healthy.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Bellator 222 (DAZN only, no Paramount Network) has the potential to be a very entertaining card. And since I need something to take my mind off the Bruins, Rory MacDonald better deliver, lol.

Darion Caldwell also kicks off the main card in a Bantamweight title fight vs Kyoji Horiguchi. Talk about starting off with a bang.

And not really a major talking point, but I think Bellator would be better served to have put this card in the MSG Theater, and not the main arena. Would be shocked if they surpass 10,000. The Theater is a legendary venue in its own right, and, while smaller, would make the atmosphere a lot better. /rant.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
We definitely are in agreement that Suarez deserves the next title shot, all things being equal. When someone wins a #1 contenders fight the important part to me is that their next fight for the title - they shouldn't have to fight someone else before their next fight. It's very similar to Tony Ferguson here where we all know Khabib's next fight is versus Poirier, but despite that Tony Ferguson doesn't need another fight to get that title shot.

All indications are the UFC wanted Suarez to get that next fight as well but she has a neck injury and she needs time off to figure out what is going on with it. Neck injuries are weird - she just had a long layoff due to the injury and it's possible she's off for a long time again. Holding up a division because a challenger is injured just doesn't make any sense at all to me and it's completely unfair to a champion to have them wait around. You do things on the champ's schedule, not the other way around.

I actually think this all worked out pretty good for the UFC and the fans. That's a good main event for a free card in China and hopefully Suarez is ready to fight the winner around the end of the year when she's healthy.
I hear you and I can't argue it. I just don't agree. I'd rather wait a couple of months to see the fight that should actually happen. If Suarez is really out that long, then do another #1 contender fight between Zhang and Joanna or something. Beating Tecia Torres and being Chinese shouldn't earn you a title fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I hear you and I can't argue it. I just don't agree. I'd rather wait a couple of months to see the fight that should actually happen. If Suarez is really out that long, then do another #1 contender fight between Zhang and Joanna or something. Beating Tecia Torres and being Chinese shouldn't earn you a title fight.

How is this fair to the champion Jessica Andrade? She wins the belt and has a chance to make the most money of her career and you think she should be forced to wait around? Makes no sense.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure how I missed it but Dana White announced they are doing a Fight Night in Vancouver on September 14th. No big fights announced yet but nice for those of us here in the area.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bellator is tonight with Rory vs. Gracie, Sonnen vs. Machida, and Horiguchi vs. Caldwell. Pico is also back and is going to be fighting pretty soon on the prelims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad