MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
That's the first pro championship (to my knowledge) for Atlanta since the 1995 Braves, and if you count MLS as major, only the 2nd ever for the city since the Falcons/Braves started play there in the mid-60's.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Well Miguel Almiron would be wasting his time in MLS. I think he's leaving. Josef Martinez is a bit older but is also bound to leave.

Barco could also leave for different reasons.

I see the others staying.

Atlanta however has the money and attraction power to replace them with equivalent players

Reactions: robertmac43

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Lot of talk about Atlanta and losing some players.

Let's talk about Portland.

Is this a sustainable team that they can bring back their squad next year?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
How did this MLS Cup compare to last year?

ATL/POR, like SEA/TOR, was a 2-0 score

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Well Miguel Almiron would be wasting his time in MLS. I think he's leaving. Josef Martinez is a bit older but is also bound to leave.

Barco could also leave for different reasons.

I see the others staying.

Atlanta however has the money and attraction power to replace them with equivalent players

Well Barco is here for a few more years I believe? Almiron is almost certainly gone. Idk about Martinez. Will definitely be a different team going forward but I think we can build off of this. Was definitely worth it. :D

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
How did this MLS Cup compare to last year?

ATL/POR, like SEA/TOR, was a 2-0 score

I was actually kind of bored throughout. There were a couple moments where it looked like it was starting to open up, but it didn't last long. But it might have been because I didn't really have a rooting interest this year unlike the previous 2 where I was vehemently cheering against Seattle. Last year was probably better because it was the redemption story of Toronto that made it more interesting.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I actually made the trip out to Atlanta for the game. It was a blast. The crowd was crazy and really going the entire game. The only time people sat was for halftime. There were crazy lines after the game for championship merchandise at the team store and booths around the stadium.

Reactions: robertmac43

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I have a bucket list where my goal is go to a bunch of MLS/NHL stadiums across the country. Atlanta, Portland, Seattle, Orlando, Kansas City are absolute musts for me.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
It was unbelievable to be in that stadium last night. I was expecting some collapse or for them to just completely blow it and it never happened. I didn't know how to react after. Atlanta teams don't win.

Looking on to next year, the biggest question right now is who replaces Tata, and that needs to happen quick. Miggy has definitely played his last game. It will be interesting to see if they try to replace him with Barco or bring in someone new. I think Martinez will stay at least for another year. The wildcards are if Parkhurst and/or Larentowicz retire.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The crowd was great but the game never really delivered. Portland never showed up and Atlanta got lucky with that first goal, but overall for the season they certainly deserve it. But please put on a real grass field with all that $ it would improve tv and play for the players.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not what I meant obviously being from Atlanta but sure, go on being an ass. :rolleyes:
You guys already have the most insufferable fans in the whole league, even worse than Seattle (who as we all know invented supporter culture in America because all those years the ESC was in 101 or the Skezzy Beagles were in RFK never happened).

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
The crowd was great but the game never really delivered. Portland never showed up and Atlanta got lucky with that first goal, but overall for the season they certainly deserve it. But please put on a real grass field with all that $ it would improve tv and play for the players.

Grass in an indoor stadium will be difficulty level with no natural sun light. They would have to constantly under grow lights.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The roof is permanent? I thought they could open it. Anyway too many artificial fields in MLS really brings the quality of play down and it's a disaster for TV.
On a real grass field it seems the balls slows down perfectly on passes while on those fake fields the ball is often too long going out of bounds it's like playing on ice...No to talk about how it slows the players down and is a ankle injury making machine.

Will be interesting to see how Atlanta will do next year and what the new playoff format will be.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The roof is permanent? I thought they could open it. Anyway too many artificial fields in MLS really brings the quality of play down and it's a disaster for TV.
On a real grass field it seems the balls slows down perfectly on passes while on those fake fields the ball is often too long going out of bounds it's like playing on ice...No to talk about how it slows the players down and is a ankle injury making machine.

Will be interesting to see how Atlanta will do next year and what the new playoff format will be.

MBS's roof can open, but the stadium is so tall that only portions of the field get direct sunlight.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
That's really too bad, the stadium is beautiful, the fans are loud and in great numbers but the field is just terrible.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Another problem is the sheer number of events that occur at MBS. There are many times when there are NCAAF, NFL, and MLS games in the same week, as well as concerts and other events. During those times, the field would be ripped to shreds if it were real grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad