Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team - Revs clinch playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Both these teams left everything on the field. England is watching this and smiling.

I think the golden goal rule should come back and that Croatia should've won, despite how entertaining a finish this has been.

Subacic's hamstring is barely hanging on and now he has to face PKs. Eek.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Both these teams left everything on the field. England is watching this and smiling.

I think the golden goal rule should come back and that Croatia should've won, despite how entertaining a finish this has been.

Subacic's hamstring is barely hanging on and now he has to face PKs. Eek.
Golden goal is the BEST way. Should be the only way.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Though I was rooting for Croatia...I developed a soft spot for Russia after watching them beat Spain. Their fans are tons of fun and incredibly friendly.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
That shootout was phenomenal, this tournament is still the best

Modric's PK was everything

Modric has taken three poor penalty kicks in the last two games, but somehow scored on two of them. Croatia really lucky to have crawled their way to the semi. Watch them win the whole thing. :laugh:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Modric has taken three poor penalty kicks in the last two games, but somehow scored on two of them. Croatia really lucky to have crawled their way to the semi. Watch them win the whole thing. :laugh:
I picked them to get to the final. Yet they've made beating Denmark and Russia look way harder than it needed to. Took a phenomenal amount of luck too, Modric's penalty today was hilarious. The keeper got it clear as day, and of all places for the deflection to go, it hits the post and goes in.

If they go all the way, Subasic might be the Golden Ball winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fossy21

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I picked them to get to the final. Yet they've made beating Denmark and Russia look way harder than it needed to. Took a phenomenal amount of luck too, Modric's penalty today was hilarious. The keeper got it clear as day, and of all places for the deflection to go, it hits the post and goes in.

If they go all the way, Subasic might be the Golden Ball winner.

Subasic is great. Thought he was lucky the Danes didn’t realise how early he committed on their penalties, but he probably knows there are usually only one or a few players on each team cool enough to wait out the goalie. Today he seemed to change up his tactics because while he danced around on the line, he didn’t commit as early, probably anticipated the Russians had scouted that out. To be fair, the one he saved today were shockingly bad, he basically saved it on his third effort, after looking at his watch and taking a swig from his water bottle. :laugh:

Looking forward to some great games. I personally want England vs France, and that would also be my guess after watching them. But any matchup will be great, and Croatia vs Belgium would guarantee a new champion. Guess I could live with that (envy).

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
I was up in MA visiting my Dad this week. I put on the Russia/Croatia game because I'm genuinely interested, and he sat down at half time and started making all the standard soccer jokes. Too much diving, too boring, not enough goals, whatever. But he sat with me and we watched. We are part Russian, so he naturally started rooting for them. And soon as you know it, he's enthralled. He starts cheering, and getting into it, and calling fouls and everything. When Croatia scored the extra time goal, he was stunned it wasn't sudden death...and when Russia tied it he cheered the loudest I've heard him cheer since the Bruins 2013 run, maybe louder. Obviously we were upset about the result, but I kept teasing him "and they say soccer is boring" as he sat on the edge of his seat. This world cup has really delivered. When Russia lost, we walked dejected down to finish bleeding the brakes of his car, but he kept commenting on it- it really sucked him in.

The last game he watched was in a bar in Barcelona, when he visited me while I was living there.... in the summer of 2010...
...needless to say he's spoiled.

Personally, nothing can top my 2010 experience, but this World Cup has had consistently exciting games, and an insane number of staggeringly beautiful goals. Can't wait to watch more.

Reactions: Fossy21

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Fox's coverage of the world cup is absolutely terrible. The color and play by play guys are so bad it's stunning, the halftime coverage is bad, etc. Compare this crap to NBC's coverage/presentation of the EPL. Night and day.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I don’t see how anyone beats France. They’re too structured, deep and talented. They’re so loaded. But I guess that’s why they play.

In terms of a better game, I’d like to see England/France

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don’t see how anyone beats France. They’re too structured, deep and talented. They’re so loaded. But I guess that’s why they play.

In terms of a better game, I’d like to see England/France
I thought Belgium out played them but came up short obviously. Good game though. Interesting game tomarrow. Does Croatia have its legs?

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I thought Belgium out played them but came up short obviously. Good game though. Interesting game tomarrow. Does Croatia have its legs?

And Vrsajlko is likely out, plus news came out today that Lovren is seriously banged up and may not be able to go (I expect him to). That's two of their top defenders.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
How good is NGolo Kante?

2016 leads Leicester City to incredible Premier League title (500 to 1?)
2017 leads Chelsea to Premier League title
2018 most likely to lead France to the World Cup

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
A France/England final would have a good chance of being the highest rated worldwide event in television history.

I still think Croatia would make for a better football match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad