Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team IV - Revolution hire Caleb Porter as new head coach

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Couldn't happen to a better loser franchise than the Revs. This is what they get for kicking Arena out the door.

Just delete this pitiful team already.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
As bad as the Revs have been in MLS play thus far, they've been that good in CONCACAF Champions Cup play. They earned a 1-1 draw with Costa Rica's LD Alajuelense on Thursday night to advance to the Quarterfinals by a score of 5-1 on aggregate.

They'll face Mexican giants Club America for a spot in the semifinals.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

Arsenal vs Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid vs Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid vs Manchester City
PSG vs Barcelona

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I have a friend who asks me all the time, "Why do the Revs need their own stadium? What's wrong with Gillette?"

This.

This is what's wrong with Gillette.

Reactions: Mione134

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I have a friend who asks me all the time, "Why do the Revs need their own stadium? What's wrong with Gillette?"

This.

This is what's wrong with Gillette.

Hey it's the New England Promotional Products Association Expo. Gotta make sure the boomers can promote their ballpoint pens and tumblers.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Interesting, as Sullivan is 14 years old, and I believe he's not able to join Man City's academy until he's 16. That said, Taylor Twellman tweeted out the other day that he's spoken with scouts for clubs in Europe that think Sullivan is the best 14-year old on the planet at this point.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Revolution and Cincinnati are scoreless 15 minutes into the match at Gillette.

Revs are still looking for their first MLS victory of the season.

Game is free on Apple TV.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
The non Bruce era is going great

:sarcasm:
They've got three big issues at the moment...

1. New goalkeeper Henrich Ravas has been wildly inconsistent. He's made some really good saves... but he's also had several blunders. I think it was always fair to assume that the Revs weren't going to get the same level of goalkeeping they got from Petrovic or Matt Turner, but Ravas would probably best be qualified as "barely acceptable" at this point.

2. Giacomo Vrioni just isn't working out. He rarely looks dangerous. It just seems like he's almost always on a different page than the rest of the team. And beyond not scoring, he isn't nearly as good at the holdup play as someone like Adam Buksa was. He's clearly not a DP-caliber forward, but for some reason, the Revs seem determined to make the square peg fit in the round hole. Vrioni scored yesterday, but that was due in large part to a defensive blunder.

3. To me, it looks like they're struggling adapting to Caleb Porter's system. It looks good at times, and there are other times, when it looks like players (...especially in the midfield) have no idea what they're doing. Cincinnati brought on Lucho Acosta at halftime yesterday, and suddenly the Revs have seven players parked in front of Ravas... which I KNOW is not what Porter wants.

So yeah... there was the coaching change, but Caleb Porter's got two MLS Cups to his name, and it's still early days. The bigger issue is that they've lost a lot of talent from the record-breaking 2021 team, and they haven't done a good enough job in replacing the players they've lost.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Revs are really struggling.

They're 0-4-0 in MLS this season, and they're down 1-0 at home to Chicago just before halftime.

Caleb Porter is trying to find a spark - they've changed formations... again, and they benched Henrich Ravas in favor of backup Earl Edwards, but it's not working so far.

UPDATE: Nacho Gil ties the match at one seconds before the halftime break. Huge goal.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Ravas isn't the answer. Neither is Edwards.

I don't know why they never gave Vaclik a chance. Very strange.

The era of not having Bruce looms large.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Ravas isn't the answer. Neither is Edwards.

I don't know why they never gave Vaclik a chance. Very strange.

The era of not having Bruce looms large.
For what it's worth, I believe it was reported that Vaclik's knees ended up being MUCH worse than the team thought, and by the time they figured it out, it was too late to sign anyone else.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
For what it's worth, I believe it was reported that Vaclik's knees ended up being MUCH worse than the team thought, and by the time they figured it out, it was too late to sign anyone else.
Oh wow. I hadnt heard of thar. If that's the case, the medical team failed them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad