Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team II - New York City wins the MLS Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
You know what's been bothering me with the Euros, and really soccer in general these days?

Aesthetically, it's just so drab. I guess we all have preferences based on what we liked when we were children, but I grew up in the 90s, the 1998 World Cup is really my lodestone for what all international soccer should look like. And the mid-90s in soccer was all about big boxy shirts with vibrant colors and that glossy material. You got a great sense of each nation's identity just casting a glance at thepitch. Today, everything is form fitting and absolutely monotone. They all look like under armour practice gear. It's all white shirts, white shorts, a small red number somewhere on the middle and the world's tiniest crest on the chest. You could easily turn on a game between Switzerland and Wales and not be able o figure out which team is which. That never would've happened in the 90s.

2021-06-12T143752Z_150953709_UP1EH6C14N3LP_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-EURO-WAL-SWI-REPORT_1623509100177_1623509113047.JPG

This is from yesterday. No distinctive personality on their kits, the little tiny lines on the Swiss shoulders or on the Welsh shorts are barely visible. On a wide shot on the TV, it just looks like red on red with yellow numbers vs. white on white with red numbers.

Italy vs. Turkey: White on white, red on red. Nothing really distinctive.
turkey-italy.jpg

And so and and so forth. Croatia always has a unique checkerboard kit but today they wore their clash kits which are shades of black and resemble something an MLS team would wear. Still probably the best so far at the tournament. And I like England's style, it's definitely patterned off their classic look and they have the bold red numbers with navy outline that pop. I just realize that I hate the cut of the shirt. Looked great on the old 90s style but looks cheap now. Though I know that it's probably much better for the players in terms of performance and breathability.

But between the modern cut of the jersey and the extreme minimalism of the design, it feels like nobody has a visible national identity anymore. I hate this trend and hope the game moves on from it by the next World Cup.

Edit: Watching more highlights from yesterday, I really liked Austria's look with the black kits and mint-green shorts, though I have no idea what that color has to do with Austria. And Nederland/Ukraine was a good aesthetic matchup - I don't mind monochromatic looks if it's a traditional trademark of the team like the Oranje. And Ukraine's yellow numbers on blue jerseys work - the tone is rich.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think my issue is that the big 3 suppliers (Nike, Adidas, Puma) have gotten really lazy with standardization, so all the Adidas ones look generally the same, same blocky number and the three stripes on the shoulders. Nike's are rather plain and have the rounder numbers and a swoosh under the collar. Puma is the worst though, they gave like 5 different teams the exact same jersey template for the away white kits in Euro and Copa America. Italy, Czech Republic, Uruguay, and a few more, it's plain white, horizontal lines on the chest with the country name in the same font in the middle. They're terrible.

Back in the day Nike and Adidas used to do crazy shit with jerseys. Now it's all boilerplate and soulless IMO. Which is ironic considering it should be the opposite given the advances in printing and manufacturing tech and such compared to 30 years ago.

And it's not all about the jersey, it's the shorts too. The different combos of short colors with shirt colors helped give identities to teams back in the day. So far I think Russia is the only team who actually wore colored shorts with their white kits at Euro.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Aesthetically, it's just so drab. I guess we all have preferences based on what we liked when we were children, but I grew up in the 90s, the 1998 World Cup is really my lodestone for what all international soccer should look like. And the mid-90s in soccer was all about big boxy shirts with vibrant colors and that glossy material. You got a great sense of each nation's identity just casting a glance at thepitch. Today, everything is form fitting and absolutely monotone. They all look like under armour practice gear. It's all white shirts, white shorts, a small red number somewhere on the middle and the world's tiniest crest on the chest. You could easily turn on a game between Switzerland and Wales and not be able o figure out which team is which. That never would've happened in the 90s.
Word. Time to bring this glorious piece of American Heritage back:

89de60a734409032cc997bd3937facbc.jpg

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
@McGarnagle I agree Puma is f***ing lazy which is a shame cause I like their stuff. But you should throw on some Copa America. So far the uniforms have been great

That Ecuador strip is phenomenal. And a lot of the South American kits are so classic and perfect that they really don't need to tinker with them - Peru, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil. I could do without the weird patterning within the stripes on Argentina's jersey, but it doesn't ruin it. Hard to ruin the albiceleste. Chile's condor feathers are pretty awesome. I like how Venezuela leaned into the maroon as their color to separate themselves from everyone else whose flag is yellow, blue, and red. Bolivia's is meh, but at least they're distinctive with the forest green. A lot of people think Colombia's isn't good, but I kind of like the 80s vibe to it with the Adidas template. But yeah, templates kind of suck.

Regardless, CONMEBOL clearly has the best kits in the world.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
That Ecuador strip is phenomenal. And a lot of the South American kits are so classic and perfect that they really don't need to tinker with them - Peru, Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil. I could do without the weird patterning within the stripes on Argentina's jersey, but it doesn't ruin it. Hard to ruin the albiceleste. Chile's condor feathers are pretty awesome. I like how Venezuela leaned into the maroon as their color to separate themselves from everyone else whose flag is yellow, blue, and red. Bolivia's is meh, but at least they're distinctive with the forest green. A lot of people think Colombia's isn't good, but I kind of like the 80s vibe to it with the Adidas template. But yeah, templates kind of suck.

Regardless, CONMEBOL clearly has the best kits in the world.

Strangely enough I actually kinda like the Argentina uniforms. But that’s probably cause that’s who I root for in CONMEBOL :laugh:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I feel like Germany possesses the ball 90% of the time but can't do anything with it, and France possesses it 10% of the time and looks like a threat to score every single time.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
This France team is so loaded it’s disgusting. Their second team could prob make the semis. They played like total shit today but never looked like not winning.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
At least it's different.

I'd have to see the whole kit with shorts and socks to make a final judgment, but I'm not sure how to think about it. On one, totally different, but on the other hand the US has had a lot of bland uniforms so something different-ish is welcome.

They need to just go back to the 94 kits full time though.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The debate about VAR/instant replay in sports will never end and never have a correct solution for everyone.

The disallowed Finland goal today fits right in as a call that was technically correct upon a deep review of the tape, but really violates the spirit of the law. His head was barely ahead of the last defender, legally offside, but come on. It was called a goal on the field and I doubt it'd be any controversy if it was upheld. VAR should really only overturn blatant missed calls and not search for technicalities.

I had no stake in the FIN/RUS game so in a neutral context I think it's too much. If I had a rooting interest, if it benefits my team I'd be for it, and goes against them I'd hate it. That's human nature, but since in a totally neutral context I'm anti-forensic VAR, I guess that's where I stand on the matter.

Side note: the Russia goal that decided the game was beautiful

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
The debate about VAR/instant replay in sports will never end and never have a correct solution for everyone.

The disallowed Finland goal today fits right in as a call that was technically correct upon a deep review of the tape, but really violates the spirit of the law. His head was barely ahead of the last defender, legally offside, but come on. It was called a goal on the field and I doubt it'd be any controversy if it was upheld. VAR should really only overturn blatant missed calls and not search for technicalities.

I had no stake in the FIN/RUS game so in a neutral context I think it's too much. If I had a rooting interest, if it benefits my team I'd be for it, and goes against them I'd hate it. That's human nature, but since in a totally neutral context I'm anti-forensic VAR, I guess that's where I stand on the matter.

Side note: the Russia goal that decided the game was beautiful

I think I read somewhere that they're testing out a rule where if any part of a player's body is behind the last defender, then they're onside. Kind of similar to how the NHL changed the offside rule where a body part just needs to be behind the imaginary vertical blue line versus on the ice.

Reactions: McGarnagle

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think I read somewhere that they're testing out a rule where if any part of a player's body is behind the last defender, then they're onside. Kind of similar to how the NHL changed the offside rule where a body part just needs to be behind the imaginary vertical blue line versus on the ice.

I may just be bringing my hockey bias into soccer, but that seems logical to me. Like if your back foot is still behind the defender, regardless of where your the rest of your body is, why not call it onside? For a sport that really needs offensive chances, it seems silly to keep such a strict offside rule.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Or maybe keep the rule as it is, but stop using computers to draw lines to figure out if the attacker's big toe is onside or not.

Clear and obvious should be the threshold. Give the referee 30 seconds to watch a replay. If he can't make a decision in that period of time, the original call stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad