Revs/MLS/Soccer MLS - NE Revolution / US National Team II - New York City wins the MLS Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Halftime: Columbus 0-0 New England

Not a great first half performance from the Revs. Did a little too much defending, and didn't have many chances moving forward. Another game where halftime adjustments could be very meaningful.

Subs def have to come in. Nguyen...McNamara..Rowe?

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Disappointing. Lots of opportunities. This team going forward though, lots to love.
Agreed.

The nice thing about this winter is that there's a lot of dead weight on the roster that was left over from the previous front office that is coming off the books. Revs should have salary cap room and international roster spots they can use moving forward.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Agreed.

The nice thing about this winter is that there's a lot of dead weight on the roster that was left over from the previous front office that is coming off the books. Revs should have salary cap room and international roster spots they can use moving forward.

I will say, the situation with Fagundez upsets me. I want to know what happened with him and Bruce. Between his dad tweeting things, I would pretty much think hes gone. Which sucks because I love the kid. Homegrown guy.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No respect

upload_2020-12-6_20-50-48.png

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I don't know - I think Diego's kind of regressed the past few seasons.

I won't be terribly upset if both parties move on.

he fell out of favor a while back. It was fun when he was a relatively unknown novelty

i think both parties would be just fine with a mutual separation

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Anyone know why Columbus is already moving from their soccer specific stadium to a new soccer specific stadium? And the Revs can't even get one!

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Anyone know why Columbus is already moving from their soccer specific stadium to a new soccer specific stadium? And the Revs can't even get one!

Because Gillette is essentially paid for and is just a pure profit machine at this point. No city or town around boston is going to give Kraft the land and money needed to make it worth it to give that up.......especially when the future of live sports with fans is looking like a bad bet. Anyone building a new stadium right now is an idiot.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
So they are destined to continue playing at the cavernous Gillette for years to come? I don't see it. Every other MLS franchise has gone the SSS route. Fans might be hesitant to come back at first but the pandemic will pass and fans will return.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
And it's not just about pandemic times. The SSS should have been figured out years ago.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
MAPFRE isn't totally going away, it's just being transformed into the the training center, much like the Revolution II addition...

it's due to the fallout of Precourt ruining the Crew SC Branding, not the fault of the Kraft Group or the Revolution brand itself, which could have cost Columbus the franchise outright.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
And it's not just about pandemic times. The SSS should have been figured out years ago.

It WAS figured out. The fans just don't like the answer (that it didn't make financial sense even pre-covid). They can't come out and say it, but why would they ever do it without some crazy sweetheart deal? Instead, every few years they'll pretend to be evaluating sites, etc, but nothing will change.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
So they are destined to continue playing at the cavernous Gillette for years to come? I don't see it. Every other MLS franchise has gone the SSS route.

That's not accurate. Seattle. Atlanta. NYC FC. Chicago is back to Soldier field.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Remember how Kraft became a major player in the New England sports scene in the first place: Land. He bought the Foxboro Stadium parking lot, which he leveraged into buying the stadium, which then allowed him to leverage the lease in order to buy the team.

He owns Gillette and the land it's on. As great as a SSS in Boston proper would be, Kraft doesn't have to do that to maintain profitability and just as importantly, control. He'd have to lease out a plot of land in Boston for no small change, then get funding for a stadium while having to satisfy the zoning regulations and building codes that the city would put on him (likely much more strict than those he faces Foxborough), etc. In his little kingdom at Patriot Place, he can do almost anything he wants and doesn't have to buy land to do it. Nobody understands the value of owning property and land in sports business better than Bob Kraft. I doubt you ever see a SSS in Boston unless he gets an absolute sweetheart deal. Theoretically he could build a more intimate soccer stadium in the same complex as Gillette, but it's not something he needs to do as long as he's got the big stadium there that has open dates.

Reactions: EvilDead

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
That's not accurate. Seattle. Atlanta. NYC FC. Chicago is back to Soldier field.

Ok I didn't mean literally everyone but I don't think it's unreasonable to say a founding member of the league should have a SSS. I would love to be a visiting player playing the Revs at the "Morgue". Well, except for the field turf situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad