MLS 2016 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

That attendance is quite amazing considering this is third division soccer. This is the second week in a row they have had 20,000+

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm literally baffled. Good on them, I have my serious doubts about this being remotely sustainable, but the fact they can get that kind of number for a USL regular season game at all is really impressive.

Good timing for the team, too, launching in a season in which the Reds are expected to lose 90+ games with no hockey/basketball teams in direct competition with to start the season. Once football season starts, that's when we'll be able to see how many fans are really all-in on this.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Hahaha that's terrible

1. Not even close to handball
2. What he blew for was very clearly inside the penalty area and at first he decides it's a freekick.

But how he got that to a handball is just terrible

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Toledo lets a Molino handball go that results in Orlando going up 2-1 and then awards a penalty kick for a ball hitting Carrasco's shoulder in the penalty box. He's a ****ing joke.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Can the MLS hire a think tank of retired refs that are well respected to completely rehaul their reffing system? Because if they don't then this kind of **** is going to start turning fans away

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Are they playing on artificial grass in Orlando? If so is this normal in MLS?

It is turf, yes. It's the high quality stuff though, after is was laid when the Citrus Bowl had their big renovation FIFA gave it their approval for even men's national teams to play on.

It's more common in the MLS than in other leagues but the number of artificial fields are dwindling gradually.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I don't see the reason for a team like Orlando to use it. A team like Montreal with their climate sure. It's still different and bad for injuries with these harder pitches. Can't see the likes of Kaka, Gerrard, Drogba etc coming over like it very much

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't see the reason for a team like Orlando to use it. A team like Montreal with their climate sure. It's still different and bad for injuries with these harder pitches. Can't see the likes of Kaka, Gerrard, Drogba etc coming over like it very much

If whoever is the next Gerrard decides to stay in Europe, mission accomplished. :laugh:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal

They're waiting for their stadium to be built.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

Citrus Bowl is multi-purpose so having turf off-sets having to regrow the field when they host a concert or something like that there. I've also been on that turf, softer than most grass fields I've been on but it does have a tendency to harden, like a field that has really tightly packed dirt under it.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Atlanta United Showcases World-Class Training Ground

Atlanta United owner Arthur Blank and president Darren Eales today provided updates on the club’s progress and revealed project renderings of the club’s new $60 million training ground.

Currently under construction in Marietta, GA., the Atlanta United training ground will be a best-in-class facility and will rival top international training facilities. Located on Franklin Gateway, the 33-acre site will include a 30,000 square foot headquarter building and six fields.

ATLUTDTGNews.jpg

SOUTH_WEST.jpg

Pitch.jpg

AERIAL_VIEW.jpg

diningroom-C2B.jpg

ENTRY_VIEW.jpg

lobby-c2B.jpg

LockerRoomEdited.jpg

I guess the MLS arms race has begun. That locker room looks amazing.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
How long till the Us produces top tier talent...

So many world clas academy projects going on..

If teams ever start sponsoring their acedemy players with 1 or 2 classes in between training time, not very long.

But Garber is focused on "Americanising" the sport, and not much gathers more interest in North American sports fans than 1)playoffs and 2) drafts.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
That clubhouse looks amazing but I'm not sure why it needs to have a country club vibe? Do other big teams clubhouses at their training grounds appear similar?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
MLS: St. Louis, Sacramento leading expansion race, then in order are Detroit, San Diego, San Antonio, Austin, Cincinnati*-via ESPN http://es.pn/app

I'd go with Detroit and then Cincy to join StL and Sacramento. Soon to be 3 teams(4 when you add in Sacramento) in California and 2 in Texas, spread the footprint more before packing a bunch of teams in close proximity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad