MLD 2011 - Sign-Up Thread

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I think it's about time we start to get this going, (I assume this is alright that I go ahead with this, if not seventies can remove the thread until a later date, but it seems necessary at this point.) We're due for an ATD finish within the next two weeks or so, so the MLD is right now planned for the beginning of July. So post in this thread what team you'd like to draft with, and include in your post if you will be co-managing with someone, or you'd like the assistance of a co-manager.

27835_1542.jpeg

ATD-ML 2011 - THE MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Drafting those all-time greats overlooked in the main ATD

Sign-up Thread
Dwight & Velociraptor - New New York Awesome Express
tony d - Garnish Dragons
DaveG - Warroad Lakers
BiLLY_ShOE1721 - Philadelphia Quakers
seventieslord - Regina Capitals
markrander87 & Stoneberg - Halifax Sleepwatchers
vecens24 & TheDevilMadeMe - Eden Hall Warriors
SuperSwede21 - West Coast Phantoms - (& Dreakmur?) - TEAM STATUS IN QUESTION
Reds4Life & jkrx - Detroit Red Wings
Reen Machine - Montreal Bad Habits
Iain Fyffe - Brandon Shamrocks
Tom ServoMST3K - Winnipeg Falcons
TheJudge - Saskatoon Quakers
Selfish Man - Pittsburgh Hornets

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are VI's copied rules from last year, rule changes are open and we can discuss anything we feel is necessary to change.

The draft will last 24 rounds. You must draft 2 goalies, 6 defensemen, 12 forwards and a coach, with 3 additional picks to be used for whatever position(s) you want.

Trading is allowed. Trades must be equal in numbers, 2 picks for 2 picks, 1 player and a pick for 2 picks, and so on. Really lopsided trades can be vetoed. Rounds 15/16 through 23/24 will be double picks per round.

The time limit is 4 hours. If you miss a time window don't panic, just make up the pick ASAP. You can PM your preferred pick to me beforehand and be assured I won't ever be drafting your top pick for whatever round because my pre-draft prospect list is so darn long I can do without (even if with a grimace).

Suggestion: POST A REASON OR STATISTIC OR DESCRIPTION WITH YOUR PICK to aid discussion and let us know a bit about the pick, as many may not be household names, especially from other eras.

You must PM the next GM after your selection. And please post a notice to that effect on the draft thread to ensure a smooth flow to the draft.

Any player from any league or era are eligible as long as they were not drafted in the ATD 2010. As soon as a pick is posted, the next team's clock will begin even if an ineligible player is chosen: the pick will simply be made up as soon as possible.

Player selection should be based on what they have done (the 'next best' draft, so to speak, the greatest all-time careers not honored by being picked in the main ATD 2010 draft), and not what they will do in the future, though it's understood that there is a bit of historical hypothetical projection with players whose careers were cut short by injury.

Absolutely no dropping of players: once drafted they are drafted, but players could be traded if team needs change. At the end of the draft a team could pick up an undrafted UFA and simply discard a draft pick.

The number of teams that make the playoffs will depend on the number that qualify for the postseason. To qualify, a team must meet this all-time draft roster condition: Have on the team at least ONE player from each of the following all-time hockey periods:

1916 or earlier
1917-1942
1943-1965
1966-1979
1980-1994
1995-2004
in 2010 (ANY active/nonretired pro player with 300-plus games pro experience regardless of when he began his career)

The very first game ever played in a top pro league defines which time period for the required condition (so, an eighties player whose NHL or SEL rookie season started in 1979 would meet the 1966-79 time period requirement).

On another front, there will be an all-star team of 1LW, 1RW, 1C, 2D, 1G, 1Coach voted on after the regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I can confirm that once again myself and Dave will be entering a team in this, team name unknown at this point, looking forward to it.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
We're aiming to start and the end of June! Last week as it looks right now, so anybody who is interested please post on this thread!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Count me in as well.

Regina Capitals.

VR, if you are stepping up to run it, that's fine. (I don't know if that's what you meant by starting the signup thread or not)

Otherwise, I volunteer to run it, as long as you guys will have me.

One proposed rule change - 25 rounds went very well in the ATD - let's do it again in the MLD. Also, the rules didn't say it, but we did vote on a full all-star squad last time, and should do it again this time.

We had 16 teams last time, which was a record. Let's really push for 20. Anyone thinking of signing up with a co-GM... do you REALLY need one? Split up if you can!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Anyone thinking of signing up with a co-GM... do you REALLY need one?
I know I won't be running anything or having my own team, but could I be

a) a co-GM?
b) an assistant GM? (advisor to a particular team if a GM wants it but not official pick announcer)
or
c) a general consultant? (whenever anyone wants to)

5821004-beggar-with-hat-waiting-for-some-money.jpg

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I know I won't be running anything or having my own team, but could I be

a) a co-GM?
b) an assistant GM? (advisor to a particular team if a GM wants it but not official pick announcer)
or
c) a general consultant? (whenever anyone wants to)

5821004-beggar-with-hat-waiting-for-some-money.jpg

I'm not even sure if I'm going to be a part of the MLD, but I would think that the extent to which your various aliases voted for each other should probably be better known before any decisions are made.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Count me in as well.

Regina Capitals.

VR, if you are stepping up to run it, that's fine. (I don't know if that's what you meant by starting the signup thread or not)

Otherwise, I volunteer to run it, as long as you guys will have me.

One proposed rule change - 25 rounds went very well in the ATD - let's do it again in the MLD. Also, the rules didn't say it, but we did vote on a full all-star squad last time, and should do it again this time.

We had 16 teams last time, which was a record. Let's really push for 20. Anyone thinking of signing up with a co-GM... do you REALLY need one? Split up if you can!

I'm definitely down for being a big part of it, you can still be the general commissioner, and I think I'd rather that as well, but I'll make the majority of draft threads and take part in the deciding of rules if that's cool with everyone.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... the extent to which your various aliases voted for each other should probably be better known before any decisions are made.
1. Both times I won the MLD championship were years before that (co-GMships with Nayld Psycho and Hockey Outsider) when I had outsiders administer the voting process (BM67 the first time and JohnFlyersFan the second time). I didn't count votes myself because I wanted a fair, impartial process.
2. I voted with ZM or VI but not with both except I believe the one time the ZM team was not getting any respect (a regretful impulsive mistake). Nothing came of it.
3. I never at any time intended to cheat anyone out of anything. I've always thought the draft should be about the drafting of players itself, appreciating historical figures one digs up info on.
4. I'll only participate to the degree that you unanimously agree to. One objection of course ought to be enough to nix my participation. I'm hoping those who join MLD might allow my limited involvement. A respected veteran GM has already contacted me to be involved and I'll accept in the capacity to which I am allowed.

Last edited:

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
seventieslord will be the commissioner of the 2011 Minor League Draft

I will be frequently helping out, as I'll have a lot of time on my hands in the summer, working and doing archiving at a local firm.

Some rules to be discussed/revised, we should assemble a rule committee once we have more noted participants.

- Duration of the draft (25 seems to be a good idea, I'm down for it)
- 20 teams would be a great goal, I vote two conferences and four divisions, five teams per division. If not we can just aim for 16 and do four teams per division.
- All-Star voting is a great idea as well, I'm also for this.
- Trading. Deciding whether we'd like to trade or not, we were able to trade last time around, but I can't recall trading activity being very frequent and it went rather smoothly, we can dictate this as well.
- Time windows for picks, from what I know, seventies is going on vacation around the end of August, and I will also be going away around the same time, not sure of my dates. But I think we could have the draft finished in a month or less, and the playoffs done in even less time. Pending on how sign-up goes. June 27th, 2011 can be a tentative start date for the MLD.
- Era requirements, neat addition, we can discuss it.

Let me or 70's know if you'd like to be a part of rule discussion.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
- Duration of the draft (25 seems to be a good idea, I'm down for it)

Agreed

- 20 teams would be a great goal, I vote two conferences and four divisions, five teams per division. If not we can just aim for 16 and do four teams per division.

Every time we push for more teams, we end up getting screwed at the end. We should go with as many QUALITY GMs as we can get.

- All-Star voting is a great idea as well, I'm also for this.

Agreed

- Trading. Deciding whether we'd like to trade or not, we were able to trade last time around, but I can't recall trading activity being very frequent and it went rather smoothly, we can dictate this as well.

Trades in the MLD are less common. I don't see the need to make restrictions. A trade committee or veto process is in order just in case.

- Time windows for picks, from what I know, seventies is going on vacation around the end of August, and I will also be going away around the same time, not sure of my dates. But I think we could have the draft finished in a month or less, and the playoffs done in even less time. Pending on how sign-up goes. June 27th, 2011 can be a tentative start date for the MLD.

Sounds good

Don't care either way.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Seeing the likes of Didier Pitre, Jack Laviolette and the town's own homegrown Taffy Abel, Michigan Soo was an original 1904 member of the International Professional Hockey League.

Historical team names are awesome!

It will hopefully give me a good reason to look through some old newspaper archives.

While researching Hod and Bruce Stuart, I found that a lot of the American papers did better write-ups than their Canadian counterparts.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Can't even recall if trading was allowed last time. We may as well allow it though, in case there are people interested. We had trading in MLD11, and there was one trade.... maybe two.

Sounds good. If it goes long, I can easily pass off vote collection to someone else... but I don't think I will have to.

It's not an addition, we've always had it. But I personally don't care either way. I always meet the requirements, without even thinking about it. I imagine that most do as well. I think if someone wants to go all-modern... do so at your own peril. You won't win that way.

Every time we push for more teams, we end up getting screwed at the end. We should go with as many QUALITY GMs as we can get.

I agree, but keep in mind I'm not really looking for any NEW GMs. My goal would be to see 20 of the 40 from the ATD stick around for the next phase.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I agree, but keep in mind I'm not really looking for any NEW GMs. My goal would be to see 20 of the 40 from the ATD stick around for the next phase.

How many votes were we getting in the play-offs? That's probably the best number we can hope for here.

Last MLD had a record number of teams because it was decided that there would be a long lay-off before the next ATD.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I'd like to participate, but I'd need a good assistant GM with me I think to be even close to effective in something like this.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
How many votes were we getting in the play-offs? That's probably the best number we can hope for here.

Last MLD had a record number of teams because it was decided that there would be a long lay-off before the next ATD.

perhaps. But the layoff is just as long this time, and if a set percentage is going to be interested in participating, that pool that the percentage is drawn from is bigger.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'd like to participate, but I'd need a good assistant GM with me I think to be even close to effective in something like this.

What do you mean by effective? Even if you think winning is that measure of effectiveness, I think you'll be fine. You've shown a very good base of knowledge for a rookie here, and there's no reason you couldn't do well on your own.

For me, the MLD is about getting guys moved up into the main draft. Regardless of whether you win or lose here, you'll know what kind of job you really did next draft... when the MLD guys start moving up into the ATD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad