MLD 2011 - Sign-Up Thread

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
It annoyed me but nevertheless, that was no ones fault here.
I did post at the time: "If anybody is gonna show up late and make up his skipped picks it's chaos. He's a real trooper." You have a long history of doing so. A co-GM is simply what you need when you're busy.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Hey guys, I just came back from my trip in Australia. First day home!

I would like to participate in the MLD, but more as a ''helper'' than a true Co-Gm (Getting my own team is definitely excluded). If anyone is looking forward to do the hard work and need a more experienced GM/someone giving his opinion and advises once in a while, give me a shout. If not, I'll gladly look from the bench.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
I would like to participate in the MLD, but more as a ''helper'' than a true Co-Gm (Getting my own team is definitely excluded). If anyone is looking forward to do the hard work and need a more experienced GM/someone giving his opinion and advises once in a while, give me a shout. If not, I'll gladly look from the bench.
You'd be an ideal assistant GM for a newbie GM.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I did post at the time: "If anybody is gonna show up late and make up his skipped picks it's chaos. He's a real trooper." You have a long history of doing so. A co-GM is simply what you need when you're busy.
That's the thing. I am not big on having to make picks up. I want to make sure that I have the time and I did mention it to seventies or you before the draft, that I may run into some issues around the end of the draft and to be ready for it.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
At seventieslord's urging, I'd like to give this a shot.

Some of you may be familiar with me already, either as the guy who brought Dan Bain's stats to the world, or as one of the writers at Puck Prospectus, or as some guy prattling on about some obscure hockey thing or another. More likely you've never heard of me, and I don't blame you.

At any rate, I'm conversant in all eras of hockey history and this thing sounds like fun. I'm looking forward to it.

Assuming you'll have me, for a team name I'd like to go with the Brandon Shamrocks.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
At seventieslord's urging, I'd like to give this a shot.

... the Brandon Shamrocks.
:handclap: Welcome! From your posts on HfBoards you obviously are well versed in hockey history!

shamrocks_logo.jpg

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
the start of the MLD is postponed indefinitely. Hopefully not for too long (I'd hate to wait until september) but long enough for us to at least get to 16 teams.

I'd like for this thread to just stay as-is for now as an open invite to all ATD GMs so whoever hasn't said yes yet might change their tune in the next couple weeks, and with some luck, we can proceed.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Rather than just stop participating, I figured I should say something. The ATD has really lost its appeal and stopped being any fun for me towards the end of this last draft. All the arguing about rules, the VI socks, and the hissy fits being thrown during the playoffs really turned me off. I'm out for a little bit and will hopefully be back, but will not be in this MLD regardless of start date.

But I'll be watching the draft itself! :)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
The ATD has really lost its appeal and stopped being any fun for me towards the end of this last draft.
A break can be a good thing. It's nice to see you aren't closing off the possibility of wanting to participate in ATD 2012 or 2013.

But I'll be watching the draft itself! :)
Past GMs like BM67 and Hockey Outsider stop by and contribute to discussions. It is always appreciated.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
the start of the MLD is postponed indefinitely. Hopefully not for too long (I'd hate to wait until september) but long enough for us to at least get to 16 teams.

I'd like for this thread to just stay as-is for now as an open invite to all ATD GMs so whoever hasn't said yes yet might change their tune in the next couple weeks, and with some luck, we can proceed.

My opinion is that one of the worst thing that happen to the ATD is pushing to have more team that we can sustain. I thought we learned that lesson with the last ATD. You've got how many teams now, 11? Well go with it, and have fun with the draft. It should be THE most important criteria.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
My opinion is that one of the worst thing that happen to the ATD is pushing to have more team that we can sustain. I thought we learned that lesson with the last ATD. You've got how many teams now, 11? Well go with it, and have fun with the draft. It should be THE most important criteria.

I have no problem whatsoever with the draft being postponed - the 40 team draft did just go on and on.

But I 100% agree with your main point. Pushing to get more and more teams is a big mistake IMO - and was a major cause of the sock puppets, so many uncommited GMs abandoning their teams before the end, the draft dragging on forever, and finally a lot of GMs losing interest as the playoffs went on.

We have 11 teams. I would be quite happy with a 12 or 14 team draft at this point.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Pushing to get more and more teams is a big mistake IMO - and was a major cause of the sock puppets, so many uncommited GMs abandoning their teams before the end, the draft dragging on forever, and finally a lot of GMs losing interest as the playoffs went on.
Indeed! I begrudgedly admit that having a bigger draft isn't necessarily better.

That said, while 12 is doable, a 16-team MLD would give two equal divisions, a smooth quick playoff process, and isn't so much to shoot for! It of course is the commish's call (seventieslord) but there seems to be several wanting sooner rather than later. Once you have a FIXED date, it'll be easier to do some aggressive recruitment via targeted PMing.

Note: Whenever the MLD starts, have double picks in rounds 15/16, 17/18, 19/20, 21/22, 23/24 like is usually done in the minor league and the pace will be fine.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Was talking to Dave, as there are a lack of teams in this and i think I can handle running a team on my own we've decided to put in separate teams for this, Dave will be confirming this now in a bit, as for my new team name you can call me the Garnish Dragons.

Would like to thank Dave for all his help in this since the AAA draft last year, really helped me to grow in this and I look forward to doing this on my own.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Confirmed, I'll be heading my own team for the MLD. For the first time since the last MLD even. It's been a lot of fun working with Tony over the course of the AAA and AA drafts and this past ATD and I think we helped develop eachother as managers a good bit over that time.

So for now, I'm going with the Warroad Lakers as my team name:
1995%20Warroad%20Lakers.jpg

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'd like to see more than 12, maybe put out feelers to some of the usual participants in these drafts but if 12 is all we get then that's it. Looking forward to doing this on my own.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
... maybe put out feelers to some of the usual participants in these drafts ...
I was waiting for a date to be set before doing the usual PM recruitment drive. Perhaps give a one-week notice of the start up date, to give GMs time to prepare! That would mean not starting this weekend, but maybe the weekend after? :teach: How about Friday, July 1st at noon? (Deadline to join Wednesday.) It's just a suggestion but, if so, it gives time to get invitations to get the total to 14 or 16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->