MLD 2011 Draft Thread II

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
There are a lot of excellent right wingers in this draft. Therefore, I need a shutdown left winger that is tough to play against and can frustrate my opponents. This was an easy pick for me cause I always felt he was underrated thanks to selke voting be also based on offense back in the day.

The Belleville Bulls will take a gritty winger who was fantastic in his own end.

LW - Rob Zamuner

I object to this pick. Any selection of Rob Zamuner has to be accompanied by a joke about the 1998 Olympics.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Awesome Express select Pat Quinn, D

Quinn---Leafssm.jpg

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Not this again!

Cue the Rob Zamuner/Jason Allison who's the better offensive and defensive player by 12% discussion between Dreak and chaos that extends 6 pages of quotes and pages from books.

I remember trying to trade Rob Zamuner for a 7th round pick in NHL 2005, and getting rejected.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I didn't even know this 300 game minimum existed, but, since it does, Doughty cannot be drafted. We know better next draft, but we can't change the rules when the teams are already half done.

You were here posting and had the chance to object earlier. Doughty's eligibile; your choices are to give up a drafted player for him, or decline. Since you stated he was "getting to the top" of your D-men list, I am assuming you're fine.

Question:

Shorty Green played his first season of Sr. A in 1916-17. Does that count as professional hockey for the era requirements?

Literally no, because it's not pro, but the rule should really be "senior", not "pro". I don't think junior accomplishments typically add to a player's legacy, but minor league and Senior hockey achievements (particularly before expansion) do, and the point of the "pro" distinction was really to say "hockey that added to the player's legacy" - which Senior A generally does, or at least could.

I would be open to a reinterpretation of this rule retroactive to the start of this MLD, as long as no one vehemently disagrees. It just makes sense.

Cue the Rob Zamuner/Jason Allison who's the better offensive and defensive player by 12% discussion between Dreak and chaos that extends 6 pages of quotes and pages from books.

I remember trying to trade Rob Zamuner for a 7th round pick in NHL 2005, and getting rejected.

Allison is 13.56% better offensively.

so do I win the bid?

I'm going to give it more time. I think a lot of teams have at least one D-man they could look at replacing.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
C Michal Pivonka

Pivonka.jpg

2x Top 10 SHG(4, 10)
3x Top 24 Assists(13, 16, 24)
9th in AS/G, 95-96
SH TOI/G(89 to 96): 3, 5, 3, 3, 5, 3, 5
21st in NHL in assists during 7 year peak(89 to 96), everyone in top 33 already selected

Michal Pivonka first caught the attention of NHL scouts as a result of his standout performance at the 1983 European Junior Championships where he was named to the tournaments all-star team. He kept up his stellar play at World Junior tournaments in 1985 and 1986, winning a gold medal in the latter outing.

He was selected 59th overall in the 1984 NHL Entry Draft by the Washington Capitals. Pivonka expressed a strong interest in defecting to the NHL but insisted on completing his required military service before making the jump.

He joined the Caps in 1986-87 and filled an important void created by the retirement of Bengt Gustafsson. Pivonka centred a line between Bobby Gould and Gatean Duchesne, making a good impression from the start with his strong skating, excellent passing, and willingness to play physically.

Pivonka remained as a fixture with the Caps for 12 seasons. By the early nineties, fellow countryman Petr Bondra joined the club, uniting with Pivonka to make an effective offensive duo. In tandem, they raised each other's game with Pivonka scoring a career- high 80 points in 80 games during the 1991-92 campaign.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=11296

Michal Pivonka is often the forgotten man in the list of Caps greats. He was over-shadowed by Gartner, Carpenter, Hunter, Iafrate, Langway and Bondra, but few players have done more for the franchise. A top defensive centerman, Pivonka contributed in all aspects of the game and deserves most of the credit for making Peter Bondra the offensive force he became. Forced to retire due to debilitating injuries, Pivonka faded from the scene but won't soon be forgotten.

http://www.washingtonhockey.com/main/history/iretired.html

It seems that at times Bondra will do anything to get a goal and he has worked very well with center Michal Pivonka during his entire career in Washington. Pivonka knows how to feed Bondra perfectly, assisting on 60 percent of Bondra's goals...

http://www.google.com/search?q=mich...Mqnj0QGZ28jkCw&start=10&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=838

Michal Pivonka, 20, star of the Czech national team, was first approached by Washington scout Jack Button.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mich...AqTv0gGX3YzbCw&start=20&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=838

... some of the league's greatest international stars including Pavel Bure of the Vancouver Canucks, Mats Sundin from the Toronto Maple Leafs, Washington Capital center Michal Pivonka, and Colorado Avalanche defenseman Uwe Krupp...

http://www.google.com/search?q=mich...AqTv0gGX3YzbCw&start=20&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=838

The Capitals got consistent scoring from forwards Dino Ciccarelli, Dimitri Khristich, Michal Pivonka, Dale Hunter, and Mike Ridley

Bondra has developed a special chemistry with veteran Michal Pivonka, another Capitals draft pick who is on the team's top line.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mich...NKyr0AHvpeDZCw&start=30&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=838

The Flyers trailed 2-1 after the first period thanks to some sterling play by center Michal Pivonka. Pivonka had a goal and an assist to set up the lead. ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=mich...ONOztwfl1aznDA&start=80&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=838

Last edited:

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Doughty might not exactly fit my team dynamic, but I'm definitely going to have one of the best puck moving defensive corps in the draft with Wilson, Smith, Dorey, Johnsson, and hopefully Doughty.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Philadelphia also selects C Michal Pivonka to complete our 3rd line.

GustafssonBengt_1.jpg

Blatant trip, consensus = takes to many arbitrary penalties = negative factor

;) Only kidding, I like the pick to be honest, he's someone I think fits well with Krusha and I would've considered him in a later round.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Literally no, because it's not pro, but the rule should really be "senior", not "pro". I don't think junior accomplishments typically add to a player's legacy, but minor league and Senior hockey achievements (particularly before expansion) do, and the point of the "pro" distinction was really to say "hockey that added to the player's legacy" - which Senior A generally does, or at least could.

I would be open to a reinterpretation of this rule retroactive to the start of this MLD, as long as no one vehemently disagrees. It just makes sense.
I'd say this is pretty much a givem, otherwise players from the pre-pro era could never count for anything.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You were here posting and had the chance to object earlier. Doughty's eligibile; your choices are to give up a drafted player for him, or decline. Since you stated he was "getting to the top" of your D-men list, I am assuming you're fine.

I was on my phone, and was only kind of paying attention. I assumed people would make the right choice and not change the rules.

I will give up my pick that is on the clock.... and select Drew Doughty, who is apparently available now.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'd say this is pretty much a givem, otherwise players from the pre-pro era could never count for anything.

True.

I will give up my pick that is on the clock.... and select Drew Doughty, who is apparently available now.

Please don't be difficult. I know you realize how unfair it would be to allow this. I already said that just declaring Doughty available would be the least desirable of scenarios, as it just allows whoever is fortunate enough to be picking next, to take him. You could have had him, as long as no one else expressed that they would have taken him earlier had he been available at the time. Clearly, at least two GMs feel that way, so he'll be going to one of them.

Reen's bid of Brad Stuart is in the lead.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Does anyone have any idea how VI managed to convince HHH to take Rudy Migay at 994th in the ATD? Or, why he chose to pimp Migay over Hinky Harris?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad