MLD 2011 Draft Thread II

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Does anyone have any idea how VI managed to convince HHH to take Rudy Migay at 994th in the ATD? Or, why he chose to pimp Migay over Hinky Harris?

I almost selected Migay over Cully Dahlstrom in the ATD. It was between him, Dahlstrom and Larry Patey. I don't know much about "Hinky"

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
after reconsideration , I'm out of the doughty bid , for multiple reasons.

1.I think it was bad idea
2. never knew about the rule , so I could of picked doughty anytime , and didn't , so I want my team to face the other teams in his truest form.
3.I'm incapable of really evaluating ther worth of ap layer with 3 season under his belt.
4.I will let the chance for somebody else that REALLY want Doughty.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Please don't be difficult. I know you realize how unfair it would be to allow this. I already said that just declaring Doughty available would be the least desirable of scenarios, as it just allows whoever is fortunate enough to be picking next, to take him. You could have had him, as long as no one else expressed that they would have taken him earlier had he been available at the time. Clearly, at least two GMs feel that way, so he'll be going to one of them.

Doughty isn't even the best defenseman still available, how it is unfair for me to draft him?

If he is available in this MLD, I have selected him (just to put an end to this rediculous lottery).

If he is not to be in this MLD, I'll make another pick.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
after reconsideration , I'm out of the doughty bid , for multiple reasons.

1.I think it was bad idea
2. never knew about the rule , so I could of picked doughty anytime , and didn't , so I want my team to face the other teams in his truest form.
3.I'm incapable of really evaluating ther worth of ap layer with 3 season under his belt.
4.I will let the chance for somebody else that REALLY want Doughty.

5. Dreakmur got you wondering if Doughty is even better than Brad Stuart.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't oppose this , to me Doughty hasn't play long enough , he's basically a 2 year wonder , and in the past all those 1-2 years wonder had way less worth ( in those drafts )than what their good years of play indicated

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Doughty isn't even the best defenseman still available, how it is unfair for me to draft him?

If he is available in this MLD, I have selected him (just to put an end to this rediculous lottery).

If he is not to be in this MLD, I'll make another pick.

If someone else wants to give up a guy that they already chose, then it's likely that they think he's among the best defensemen available. It's also a fair assumption that they'd have taken him at that point, if the rule allowed it at the time.

Yes he is available. No, you're not selecting him.

The rule was that he did not qualify for this draft, so you could not have drafted him at any time. ;)

correct. And now that he's available, he has the chance for a re-do.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
5. Dreakmur got you wondering if Doughty is even better than Brad Stuart.

Doughty IS better than Stuart , but in the grand scheme of thing is he really better for my team?

How do you value tings like this? I think the 300 games rules wasn't a bad idea after all , comparing 2 great seasons to 8 good season ( not even sure how many years he played on top of my head ) , how are you suppose to do that? Why makes anexception for ap layer like Doughty , who while good , isn't Bobby Orr either?Is he really worth the exception?

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I believe Dreakmur should be allowed to select him. The rules were never clear that he couldn't be selected. The way the rules read on the front page makes it seem like that he just wouldn't be eligible to count towards the minimum for playoff qualification. I think a lottery makes less sense than selecting him now.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I almost selected Migay over Cully Dahlstrom in the ATD. It was between him, Dahlstrom and Larry Patey. I don't know much about "Hinky"

wow, why? Dalhstrom has decent offense, and his defense can be reasonably backed up. Patey has an excellent selke record for that late in the draft. Migay only contributed to poor 1950s Leafs teams and was a plugger who was assumedly good defensively, but not to the level that anyone still mentions him today, and certainly didn't distinguish himself offensively.

Hinky Harris had five offensive seasons as good as any Migay ever had, including one for the cup-winning Leafs, and I see nothing separating them defensively, either, at this point.

Keep in mind I'm not necessarily pimping Harris as anything that special, just wondering what's the big deal about Migay.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Doughty IS better than Stuart , but in the grand scheme of thing is he really better for my team?

How do you value tings like this? I think the 300 games rules wasn't a bad idea after all , comparing 2 great seasons to 8 good season ( not even sure how many years he played on top of my head ) , how are you suppose to do that? Why makes anexception for ap layer like Doughty , who while good , isn't Bobby Orr either?Is he really worth the exception?

Yes.

I believe Dreakmur should be allowed to select him. The rules were never clear that he couldn't be selected. The way the rules read on the front page makes it seem like that he just wouldn't be eligible to count towards the minimum for playoff qualification. I think a lottery makes less sense than selecting him now.

Hell no. If Billy is bidding Keith Brown for Doughty's services, then that essentially means he would have taken Doughty back then. Dreakmur doesn't get Doughty just by being fortunate enough to be the guy with the current pick at the moment backlash to this idea suddenly begins coming in!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
With my real pick, I'll take a guy who has a substantially better offensive resume than Doughty to run my 2nd PP unit - Bryan Berard.

Yes he does... and a substantially worse overall resume!

Not that I'm criticizing it... if offense is what you're looking for with this pick.......

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
wow, why? Dalhstrom has decent offense, and his defense can be reasonably backed up. Patey has an excellent selke record for that late in the draft. Migay only contributed to poor 1950s Leafs teams and was a plugger who was assumedly good defensively, but not to the level that anyone still mentions him today, and certainly didn't distinguish himself offensively.

Hinky Harris had five offensive seasons as good as any Migay ever had, including one for the cup-winning Leafs, and I see nothing separating them defensively, either, at this point.

Keep in mind I'm not necessarily pimping Harris as anything that special, just wondering what's the big deal about Migay.

I originally picked Patey but then pleaded to re-select 3 minutes later :laugh:

I liked what Dahlstrom brought a little more than both Patey and Migay. He was a tenacious fore-checker and elevated his game in the post-season. I took Patey's penalty killing into account and to reiterate what you said, his Selke voting was tempting (Erixon/Patey defensive debate anyone? ;)) Migay was more so an option, and I think I would've even gone with Terry Ruskowski before Migay, but he was either already selected by one of the GM's taking over, or Dahlstrom was ultimately the better selection, can't really remember.

I'd have to research why Migay is inferior to Hinky (someone I'm looking forward to learning about) Migay seemed like a sensible pick where I took Dahlstrom, looking for a defensive fourth line centre to get some time on the penalty kill.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
all right since it's this way I'm just gonna bid my own error just like Billy , Brian Gionta

Keith Brown wasn't so much an error, just a pretty vanilla defenseman, I think serving up Gionta is more of an error than where you picked him. Considering he is capable of supplying offense in an MLD role.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm confused and I hate it.

**** you doughty , go to hell

IM OFFICIALLY OUT OF THE BID AND ANY OF MY NEXT BID SHOULD NOT BE LEGIT , MEANING I CAN'T EVEN BID ANYMORE.

Now I just look like an idiot , so I will remain silent on the doughty case and leave the opportunity to people that might use Doughty better than I will since I clearly have problem fixing his value.

**** that , doughty will jinx me if I ever pick him.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
seventies, there shouldn't be an auction just because the rules were unclear and you think that a guy is becoming a massive steal when in reality he's just a fine pick according to some GMs. I just dont find any of this as correct.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
(Erixon/Patey defensive debate anyone? ;))

"3 6 7 8 9" >>> "3 6". (especially when the 6, 7, 8, 9 came with 8, 8, 9, and 5 votes and the lone 6th was 5 votes)

Patey has a career adjusted -91 and 0.65 adjusted ESGA/GP (Erixon +19 and 0.59). Also has the same adjusted ESP/GP as Erixon (0.33).

Patey was a good pick where he was taken though, obviously.

I have never read scouting reports on him though. Since he was mediocre offensively and the books from those years only mention about 10 guys per team (a goalie, 4 D, 5-6 forwards), he may not even be in them :(

Last edited:

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
seventies, there shouldn't be an auction just because the rules were unclear and you think that a guy is becoming a massive steal when in reality he's just a fine pick according to some GMs. I just dont find any of this as correct.

I wouldn't pick Doughty right now just because his career is very short and despite having accomplished a few feats, he's a fine pick right now. Potentially ATD worthy in 4-5 years. I picked Kane in the ATD as a last round spare and because he is one of my favorite current players (yes, I'm a Canucks fan, but the guy is just so damn dominant)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Keith Brown wasn't so much an error, just a pretty vanilla defenseman, I think serving up Gionta is more of an error than where you picked him. Considering he is capable of supplying offense in an MLD role.

If that's the case, then someone else would pick him up after Reen dropped him, and the system would work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad