MLD 2011 Draft Thread II

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sorry for the delay everyone.

We're not fans of any of the modern goalies left, so we'll pick an old-timer as our backup:

Bert Lindsay, G

bertlindsay.png

- second best GAA and likely 2nd best goalie in the NHA in 1909-10 after Riley Hern
- PCHA First Team All Star in 1912-13
- Led the PCHA in wins and GAA in 1912-13 and 1913-14

Fun facts:

- Father of Ted Lindsay
- Invented a new kind of hockey net to prevent injuries from players crashing into posts in 1947: Source

good pick.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
good pick.

We weren't sure at first.

We wanted to make sure that he had more on his resume than just the PCHA First Team in 1912-13, which I consider more or less equal to an NHL Second Team AS, of which there are quite a few guys left.

I consider the "two Retro Vezinas" from Ultimate Hockey to be worthless, as we actually have a record of PCHA All Star teams for the time.

Seeing that he was generally considered a standout player for half a decade at least added enough "filler" to give him the consistency we'd want from a backup.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I consider the "two Retro Vezinas" from Ultimate Hockey to be worthless, as we actually have a record of PCHA All Star teams for the time.

Last time I looked through the retro vezinas, I think I found that they were basically awarded just like modern jennings trophies (meaning lowest GAA)

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
....when the Islanders first were granted a franchise, the Creighton we are talking about was approximately 40 years old :laugh:

Yes, thats why I edited it. Just saw Creighton and missed the first part of the conversation.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
We'll pick a spare defenseman who played big minutes in all situations, a guy who is defense-first, with decent puck moving skills.

Paul Martin, D

Martin has averaged 23:22 in the regular season and 24:42 in the playoffs over the course of his career for very good defensive teams.

He played for Team USA in the 2004 World Cup, 2005 and 2008 World Championships.

He was expected to be one of the US's top 2 defensemen in the 2010 Olympics (along with Ryan Sutter), but couldn't play due to injury.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I clue up the draft by picking a 3rd string goalie in Martin Biron.

Biron has 208 career wins in his NHL career and should provide great spot duty to my goaltending corps of Dan Bouchard, Nikolay Puchov and now Biron.

For more on Biron click the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=18254

The next picker has been notified they're up.

Well, that's my draft and I'd like to thank everyone for making this such a good draft. Everyone handled themselves accordingly, this was my 1st draft but I think I drafted a good team. Was fun to research guys I hadn't heard of before and though I drafted a guy I thought was a defenseman I ended up with a pretty good forward. Looking forward to reading the feedback on my team over the coming days and a good playoff round. Looking forward to the feedback both good and bad about my team.

Last edited by a moderator:

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
With its final pick in the draft, the Pittsburgh Hornets select John Mariucci, D

JohnMariucci-5.jpg

seventieslord said:
As the two-year captain of an original six franchise (for Chicago in the 1946 and 1948 seasons), Mariucci has to be recognized. While not an all-star caliber player (which available players were?), there are plenty of quotes to support his toughness and his workmanlike attitude. He is definitely remembered. Then you add in the fact that he was an all-star multiple times in leagues other than the NHL, and that he's in the HHOF as a builder (indicative of leadership, dedication, and a true love and zest for hockey) and he's a slam dunk at this point. Some say that no one has ever done more for USA hockey than Mariucci.

Mariuccu was an NCAA all-american in 1940 and on the 1943 EAHL first all-star team. In his first AHL season (1949), he had a very respectable 42 points, good for 5th among defensemen in the world's second-best league.

Mariucci had 13 points in the NHL in 1942, but there were four guys with 28+ points. However, when he had 11 in 1946 and 1947, that was equal to half of the #2-scoring blueliner. By today's defense scoring standards, those are like 30-35 point seasons, so don't let the low raw totals sour you. For what it's worth, Mariucci was the highest-scoring 1941-1948 NHL defenseman remaining, despite missing the two most lucrative war years: 1944 and 1945.

this below quote indicates Mariucci was a forward, which they got from the loh.net website, but this is a mistake. No other source says Mariucci was a forward; he was definitely a defenseman. The Trail also lists him as a defenseman in his stat panel and in every playoff game that he started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageminnesotahockey.com
After graduation from college Mariucci played for the Chicago BlackHawks for 5 seasons. He was a solid defensive forward and combative team leader who served as captain twice. Mariucci didn't back down from any opponent and waged many fierce battles. In his first 13 NHL games with the Hawks, Mariucci had just under fifty stiches from his forehead to chin. "I'm tired of sewing you up," Chicago trainer Eddie Froelich growled. "Imagine how I feel," Mariucci replied, (per Chicago reports).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's Who In Hockey
One of the toughest hombres ever to glide over a big-league hockey rink... John's fistic ability was remembered by those who chronicled hsi 15-minute fight with Detroit's Black Jack Stewart, both in and out of the penalty box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Ever Played in the NHL
established himself as a fearless defender who backed down from no man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red, White and Blue On Ice
"Of course I didn't back off from bodyckecks in my first NHL game," said Mariucci, "but this major league hockey is more finesse than brute strength and I was trying to prevent goals rather than get into fights. I've got a lot to learn. It's the fine points of the game that I'm working on the hardest."... It took very little time for "Maroosh" to establish a notable presence in the city off Lake Michigan... "Mariucci has certainly caught the fancy of the Cihcago hockey crowds. 'Marush', and "come on, Minnesota' were frequent rafter ringers, especially after John came out #1 best in skirmishes against the boards... never one to miss a bodycheck, no matter how extraneous to effort, Mariucci sent half a dozen Canadiens sprawling during the course of the evening... Mariucci attempted one solo sojourn that took him to the lip of the Montreal nets, but his scoring thrust was stopped. He was on the ice when the Hawks scored both of their goals, and otherwise gave all indications of being a permanent fixture in Chicago hockey doings"...

He established a feud with Detroit defenseman Eddie Wared... He had found his NHL niche as the brash, tough guy enforcer with the off-ice heart of gold... Mariucci's tough guy reputation belied the fact that he was a superb skater: (three quotes from 1943 in the EAHL) "It was John Mariucci, however, who was the real strength of the team last night. Playing a defense position, he spent almost as much time down ice aiding the attack as breaking up rival plays. The bull moose of the team seems to gain skating speed with every start."... "Mariucci did not have wings last night, but he moved up and down the ice as if he were flying. Johnny is by far the fastest skater in the league."... "paced by John Mariucci, the Strong Man, with five goals, the Coast Guard conquered New Haven... used a halfback's stiff arm on his swerving solo dashes into scoring position. Three times he registered goals by racing the full length of the ice. A skilled as well as fast skater, he provided opposition that the New Haven defense could not meet. The crowd thundered its appreciation in applause for this colorful performer..."

Fighting may have stopped on a worldwide basis, but it hadn't stopped for him. He was never better as a battler than in a 0-0 home game tie with Detroit December 6, 1946: "whatever the goalless aspect of the match may have lacked for the excitement seekers was made up for in a 15 minute gory brawl, featuring Jack Stewart and John Mariucci... Referee King clancy was looking the other way when Stewart cut Mariucci as the game was going into its late stages. With blood streaming down Mariucci's face, Clancy ordered him into the penalty box, apparently for spilling gore onto the ice. Mariucci fought one round on the ice, then resumed in the penalty box. The fighting was good, but a bit messy on account of the wonds. Altogether, the combatants each drew a minor, a major, and a misconduct...

Mariucci finished third in the league in PIM with 58… The Canadiens took the first game 6 to 2 but had little difficulty in winning the second 5-1, but Maroosh would nonetheless leave his mark in this match before the series resumed in Chicago. Chicago Daily News, March 22, 1946: "a four-way bout at Montréal started when Cooper and Chamberlain whacked each other over the heads near the Hawk net... Then Richard skated in, swung at Cooper and missed… Whereupon Mariucci leveled "The Comet" (later renamed the Rocket) with a devastating right... Richard had just reached the Bastile when Mariucci snarled something at him and Richard swung again, this time over the boards… Johnny leaned from the box and belted him onto the ice once more."

On August 17, 1948 his NHL career came to an end at Chicago established a working agreement with the HL St. Louis flyers and assigned him there as captain with additional duties as scout.… Four days after the season opener, the locals were treated to a vintage Mariucci performance, but this time with a touch of offense. St. Louis Post-Dispatch, October 17, 1948: "Mariucci was off the ice, but went over to the Indianapolis bench… He seemed to choose the entire visiting team. There is the usual jawing before somebody swung it somebody else, and the upshot was… Mariucci and Lee Fogolin were rolling on dry land, underneath the Indianapolis bench, in a first-class brawl… Mariucci took a cross ice pass from Eddie Olsen and let fly a long shot that just zoomed into the chords… 19 seconds later Mariucci piped home another long shot from way out that gave the flyers their 3-2 victory"...

St. Louis went on to capture the HL's Western division title and faced the Eastern division winning Providence Reds in the first round of the playoffs. Slowed by injuries to key players, the flyers lost in seven games. Nonetheless, he was his usual self as the Post-Dispatch, March 29, 1948, described him as "dashing" and "whose every move is cheered in St. Louis" while "taking the worst beating of any flyer" and "though taped with miles of adhesive, he'll be out there tonight."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hall: Celebrating the History and Heritage of the USHHOF
He did, in the words of an old but appropriate cliché, become a legend in his own time… Became a fixture manning the Blackhawks defensively end of the 1948 season and eventually became the team captain in the process… Never one to back away from a fight, the hard rock Mariucci was second in penalty minutes during the 1947 season… A legend, a character, an infamous brawler, and a true gentleman, he will always remain immortalized as the "Godfather of Minnesota hockey".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey, Chicago Style
Perhaps the best, and the meanest Hawk defenseman of the 40s...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gods Of Olympia Stadium
Bill Gadsby: "...Oh, I knew I hurt him. Like I said, I didn't feel very good about it. You don't want to maim a guy. I don't, anyway. Now some guys, like John Mariucci, he'd like to hope the son of a ***** maybe dead. That's the type he was. Ever hear of him? John Mariucci. He was on the Blackhawks when I broke into the NHL in November 1946. Mariucci was for Minnesota, and he stuck out, believe me. He was the toughest I've ever seen play the game of hockey – the meanest and the toughest! It was either my second or third game in Chicago, and him and Jack Stewart of Detroit got in a fight. They hit each other for 2 to 3 min. on the ice. I knew Stewart was a tough guy, and I knew Mariucci was a mean, tough ******* from playing with him. In those days they only had one penalty box, and in they go together. Both of them are caught up. Their noses, chains, and mouths are all bloody and bleeding. They started up again. And they beat the – – – out of each other. They were taking turns hitting each other, just to see who was going to go down first...

But that John Mariucci! Mariucci took care of the Bentley brothers and Bill Mosienko, our best players in Chicago. Guys would hit the Bentleys with the bad check, a stick check, or into the boards; Mariucci would go after them just like it had been his own son. And he would beat the pistol out of them. He'd beat them up! Big Doug McCaig, who played here in Detroit – he was about 6 foot four and probably weighed 220 – he hit Max Bentley one night at center ice with a bad check. I mean, really bad. Mariucci was in our corner and he started skating toward McCaig, picking up speed as he went. McCaig was just getting up off the ice. Mariucci had his fist closed for the whole way, about 60 feet. He hit McCaig right here in the John and lifted him right up off the ice. 20 years later, our trainer here in Detroit, Lefty Wilson, told me Doug McCaig didn't know where he was for three days.…

Mariucci used to get Charlie horses. He'd be all bruised up. He get little bottle of that Capsoline they had. It's a liniment. It's hotter than a son of a *****. I'd put it on sometimes, and I had to go get a wet towel and rub it off, it's so damn hot. He would take a shower in it! He'd slather it on both legs. And he play. He just hobble of the dressing room and play. I've never seen a guy like that."

Benny Woit: "tough guys? There were lots of them. There was a guy named John Mariucci, who played for Chicago. Mariucci wasn't that big of a man, but he was a mean little son of a gun, too."

Ted Lindsay: "I'll tell you another guy who was tough. John Mariucci. And he was a good hockey player besides. He played for the Blackhawks in my first years. Mariucci was tough as nails. They didn't make them any tougher. The only guy tougher than him was black Jack Stewart. It was funny. Those guys have their own rivalry."

Leo Reise: "when I first came up in 1947, John Mariucci was my defense mate. John was my buddy. We got along famously. The best fight have ever seen was Mariucci and black Jack Stewart. In Chicago, bareknuckled, right out at center ice. Nobody grabbed anybody. Nobody was trying to pull the shirt over. Boom! Boom! And they fought to the penalty box. Oh, what a fight that was. He stood back and were thinking, "I'm glad it's not me." It was a great fight! Did they make a great pair with a fought. Oh, boy.… Mariucci was tough, but if anybody says he was the toughest guy in the league back then, it's only because they didn't know black Jack Stewart that well."

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Man, it was nice to read that Mariucci bio again. I loved discovering that guy in the "A" mock draft last year, perhaps more than anyone else.

A very worthy pick as a hired thug and dressing room leader!

I am fully expecting that, when BM67 completes the all-star voting results for the 1946-1948 seasons there will be some token votes in there for him, indicating his popularity as a player. Maybe not quite like Kampman, Evans, Portland, Buswell or Graham got, but I'm thinking at least a few anyway.

Man, that "Dragon Naturally Speaking" software really did me well, but I did a real poor job of catching its errors last December! Saw about 15 in that bio.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
When I asked my old man if he saw this guy play, his description made me laugh, so I'll share it with you guys.

"He started a million fights, and lost every single one of them." :laugh:

Anyway, to finish off the team, I'll take a very aggressive hard-hitting defenseman who also spent some time as a shut-down right winger....

Bugsy Watson

Based on what I've been able to find, he was played on the blueline afterbeing picked up by Oakland in 1969. Before that he was a shadow on checking lines. On the blueline, he was a top-4 defenseman for 10 years, who was also one of the go-to PKers (despite being in the box a lot).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
pappyline in the past painted Watson as a no-talent thug whose sole purpose was to illegally rough up Hull in the finals once. While the latter part is probably true, I think it cloured pappy's overall view of Watson a little too negatively. Watson actually averaged 20.80 minutes per game, although for crappy teams. That's not what I'd call special or significant, but you can do a ton worse than Watson. Considering he spent a lot of time in the box, he was relied on a decent amount and was clearly not "just" a thug. He was in my top-10 for defensemen heading into the AAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad