MLD 2010 Mickey Ion 1st round: #4 Baltimore Skipjacks vs. #5 Carolina Hurricanes

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Mickey Ion Quarterfinal Round

Baltimore Skipjacks

coach Red Berenson

Anton Stastny - Erich Kuhnhackl - Marian Stastny
Eric Vail - Dave Gagner - Dave Christian
Kelly Miller (A) - Jaroslav Holik - Chico Maki
Curt Fraser - Orest Kindrachuk (C) - Doug Brown
Mike Krushelnyski, Anze Kopitar

Andrei Markov (A) - Darius Kasparaitis
Jeff Brown - Kent Douglas
Dave Ellett - Arnie Brown
Bryan Berard

Riley Hern
Johnny Mowers

vs.

Carolina Hurricanes

coach Peter Laviolette

Geoff Courtnall - Alexei Yashin - Russ Courtnall
Ray Whitney - Mike Ridley (A) - Vincent Lukac
Martin Gelinas - Bob Carpenter - Dave Trottier
Ted Irvine - Mike Fisher - Roxy Beaudro
Mark Napier

Jyrki Lumme - Jeff Beukeboom (A)
Bruce Driver (C) - Mike O'Connell
Barry Gibbs - Sylvain Cote
Bob Murdoch

Pete Peeters
Tomas Vokoun
Flat Walsh​

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
First things first, congratulations DaveG, your team will be a very tough opponent and won't be taken lightly.

I'll start my analysis tomorrow, Chigurh should return from his trip tomorrow, so we'll begin the playoff discussion then.

Cheers!

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
Yes, I'm back :)

Congrats to our worthy opponent, and we wish you well in this series.

I'm still not quite settled in yet - I came to check in on everything. I'll get something started in the morning.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
First things first, congratulations DaveG, your team will be a very tough opponent and won't be taken lightly.

I'll start my analysis tomorrow, Chigurh should return from his trip tomorrow, so we'll begin the playoff discussion then.

Cheers!

Actually, I'm the Charlotte Clippers, although I have some confidence in my team and the way it's built as well. But my 2-7 matchup is indeed a tough one.

As for this one, this is going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. This is one tough matchup to predict at first look.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Actually, I'm the Charlotte Clippers, although I have some confidence in my team and the way it's built as well. But my 2-7 matchup is indeed a tough one.

As for this one, this is going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. This is one tough matchup to predict at first look.

I guess I'm so used to you being the Hurricanes in my mock entry drafts :laugh:

Best of luck to you!

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
This is interesting, both of our first lines include a pair of brothers and two highly talented, controversial centers.

I'll begin with the Skipjacks four-part analysis, I'll try and keep it a little shorter than my usual ATD write-ups. Our first line is assembled of three European phenoms who all made an impact on the game of hockey in the 70's and 80's. Marian and Anton Stastny, the brothers of Slovakian legend, Peter. All played with the Quebec Nordiques in the early 80's and all made severe impacts early on. The three of the brothers took the reins of the first line and excelled mainstream success, Anton's point totals from 1980-1988 (the length of his NHL career) were: 85, 72, 92, 62, 80, 74, 62 and 72 respectively. While Marian's point totals from 1981-1985 (significantly shorter than Anton's) were: 89, 79, 52, 21 (season shortened due to injury) and 53 in his final season, when he was traded to Toronto and returned to Europe shortly after. You can imagine brothers as talented as these two bring enormous potential to the table, and their chemistry on the wings will compliment any line quite nicely, no matter who the center is. Although in this case they will have a man who's talent is equal to the Slovak brothers caliber, in Erich Kuhnhackl. "The Wardrobe on Skates" was remembered for his dynamic game of hockey, his hulking 6'5" frame and how he was an absolute nightmare to go up against. He is also a very decorated player having been inducted to the IIHF Hall of Fame, receiving the honor of German player of the Century in 2000, various German championships, olympic bronze and a flattering point total of 774 German league games (724 G, 707 A, 1431 PTS, 1110 PIM). It's a shame that the vast majority of North Americans were never able to watch Kuhnhackl play, some were apprehensive as to how he'd adapt to the North American style game, but he may be the best hockey player to ever represent Duetschland and nobody could take that away from their very own "Big E". The Skipjacks have decided to match our first line with the Hurricanes second line.

The second line starts with Eric Vail, the 1975 Calder trophy recipient. Vail was a vintage goal scorer. Breaking the 20-goal plateau six times in his career. He played a major offensive role on the struggling Atlanta Flames. He did manage to record a positive plus/minus in all of his seasons with the Flames with the exception of his final season with the team (was traded 6 games in). Vail, nicknamed "Big Train" was not only a goal scorer, but an effective defensive forward for the better part of his career. Centering the 2nd line is Dave Gagner, he wasn't very a big player, but he was a furious little agitator. He revitalized his career with a trade to the Minnesota North Stars, where he cracked 30 goals or more in 6 consecutive seasons. He's what you'd label an offensive juggernaut, going over point-per-game in the postseason with 27 points in 23 games, and was a huge part of the North Stars arsenal that went to the Stanley Cup Final in 1991. To complete the line is Dave Christian, one of the NHL's most consistent wingers in the 80's. Christian was often paired with Mike Gartner and Bengt-Ake Gustafsson in Washington, arguably two of the fastest skaters around in the 80's, Christian had no trouble catching up to them as he recorded remarkable point totals in his years with the Capitals. Christian was even an enigmatic offensive player late in his career as he continued to put up 50 point seasons in his final years. Baltimore's second line will match up with Carolina's fourth

The third line will be known for it's ability to destroy bodies, a very gritty line that includes: Curt Fraser, a very reliable two-way forward who could score and get under the opponents skin. At 6'1", and 200 pounds. Fraser won't make it easy on anyone, whether it's the Hurricanes defense, where Fraser will use his dynamic offensive skill to score timely goals, or if it's the other teams forwards, who be lucky to survive a bone-crushing hit from the punishing forward. In the middle is Jaroslav Holik, the bruising center was a legend in his native Ceska Republika. At a hulking 6'3" and 210 pounds.
International Hockey Legends said:
"For the first 18 years of Bobby's life, his father, Jaroslav, one of the best players Czechoslovakia has ever produced, dedicated himself to making Bobby good enough to play in the NHL. The result—an Ivan Drago on skates—has been unleashed on the league"
His skating wasn't excellent, but he was always counted on to demolish the opponent. "The Iron Curtain" was a nightmare for any Czech hockey player who played during the timeline of 1961-1979. Holik could be observed as the Czech version of Bob Pulford. To complete the shutdown energy line, is Chico Maki, Maki was an instrumental force to any team he laced up the skates for. Only pint-sized at 5'10", but he could fly on skates. Maki would be raucous on the ice and infuriate the other team. In this case he'll have two big guns to look after him while he can sneak some goals in on the side. Both teams third lines will square off together in this series

The fourth and final line consists of Kelly Miller, the Selke finalist left winger will be a huge part of the fourth lines role in this series. He could skate, score, hit, defend and almost anything you'd ask him to. He was a leader for the Washington Capitals in the 90's and will continue to demonstrate his bold game of hockey with the Skipjacks. The man who controls the helm, is Orest Kindrachuk, a fantastic leader who is also an effective defensive forward. Kindrachuk won two cups with the Flyers in the 70's and had productive seasons, topping 45 points five times. Doug Brown, the speedy right wing is the final player on the fourth line, he was a smooth skater and a goal scorer when he was needed. The extremely agile fourth line will matchup with Yashin and the Courtnall brothers, the Canes top line

For the spares, Mike Krushelnyski was a teammate of Gretzky from the beginning of his days as an Oiler, and into three seasons with the Los Angeles Kings. Krushelnyski isn't an explosive gamebreaker, but at the higher points of his career he was an elegant sniper. Scoring 43 goals one year with the Oilers. As well as a career plus/minus of +179. Anze Kopitar is the only Slovenian hockey player to ever play in the NHL, so far he's been an astonishing influence and is making a big name for his country. Only four seasons into his already-illustrious career, Kopitar has 113 goals, 285 points in 318 career games. The both of these men are exceptional spares for a minor league team, and will make an immediate impact if dressed for a game.

Defense analysis coming tomorrow!

Last edited:

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
That's a... strange way to build an argument. Pimping your players is fine, but making up absurd line matchings, which you won't be able to get most of the time?

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
We get last change as the home team, correct? Unless I am missing something
I think he was referring more to changing on the fly and the like. I agree that home team would generally get the matchups they want every faceoff and whenever they get a chance to change, but it won't stop the opposing coach from trying to dodge the matchups. It will never be desired matchups 100% of the time, but I do believe it still provides a legitimate advantage. Essentially, I'm agreeing with you.

I question whether or not the idea of matching one of your scoring lines up against his fourth line will limit their even stregnth icetime, as I'm assuming most fourth lines are going to get quite a few minutes less than scoring lines. I'm assuming you won't be matching them quite that strictly, though.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I think he was referring more to changing on the fly and the like. I agree that home team would generally get the matchups they want every faceoff and whenever they get a chance to change, but it won't stop the opposing coach from trying to dodge the matchups. It will never be desired matchups 100% of the time, but I do believe it still provides a legitimate advantage. Essentially, I'm agreeing with you.

I question whether or not the idea of matching one of your scoring lines up against his fourth line will limit their even stregnth icetime, as I'm assuming most fourth lines are going to get quite a few minutes less than scoring lines. I'm assuming you won't be matching them quite that strictly, though.

You strike a good point, and it will be reconsidered before voting day.

But I mainly emphasized the proposed match-ups in an obvious effort to give myself and Chigurh an advantage, if that's not the orthodox procedure of determining the line matching, I apologize and will remove the content from my analysis.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
You strike a good point, and it will be reconsidered before voting day.

But I mainly emphasized the proposed match-ups in an obvious effort to give myself and Chigurh an advantage, if that's not the orthodox procedure of determining the line matching, I apologize and will remove the content from my analysis.
I actually like the proposed matchups analysis, just though you might want to re-consider the 2nd vs. 4th line one.:)

It gives a good idea of what the game plan will be, and how things could turn out.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
We get last change as the home team, correct? Unless I am missing something

True, but even then, you still aren't going to get the matchup you want every time.

Also, coaching definitely plays a role. Laviolette was able to get Pronger out there against Parise on virtually every shift at even strength, even in NJ, just as an example. He also did a great job of getting Brind'amour out there against the opponent's best home or away in 2006.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
He's at home for 4 of the 7 games, just like a real series.

Home ice is only a slight advantage in my eyes.

But if we get our way with line matching in those four games, that could overall be a deciding factor in whether we win the series or not. I'm just stockpiling as much usefulness possible on the topic of last change, as it could be the reason that you vote for me.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
But if we get our way with line matching in those four games, that could overall be a deciding factor in whether we win the series or not. I'm just stockpiling as much usefulness possible on the topic of last change, as it could be the reason that you vote for me.

If you can show a dominant match-up, it could be the difference.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Comparison Analysis:

FIRST LINES:

Both respectable minor league first lines. Both teams have offensive juggernauts on the wings, both of which who are brothers. The Stastny's on Baltimore (Anton and Marian) two of the higher-regarded Slovakian players of the 80's, and the Courtnall brothers (Russ and Geoff) B.C. boys who put up decent statistics in both of their long tenuring careers. The men in the middle is the big question whether who wins the first line battle, two "standard" MLD centers. One, a Russian who once put up very good numbers in Ottawa, but departed for money in Long Island, and his level of play had significantly decreased. The Skipjacks centre Erich Kuhnhackl, the German player of the century. Put up mind blowing point totals in a questionable league talent-wise in the German Bundesliga. The fact that he is 6'5" also helps out as he was solid defensively and would play a two-way dynamic game of hockey with his hulking size, and his remarkable offensive ability.
Advantage: Baltimore

SECOND LINES:
The Skipjacks second line is all about speed, Dave Gagner, the pesky, small center who could fly on skates. Dave Christian, the winger with ludicrous speed who was often paired up with very fast linemates. Eric Vail isn't the fastest skater, but was known to be able to play well with players that were faster then him, as his shot is what got him to his fame as a member of the Atlanta Flames. Ray Whitney has always been very fast, and still is in his older age. Outside of Ridley's offensive finesse, I have no recollection of him being an elite skater. I don't know anything about Vincent Lukac besides the fact he put up good numbers in a British Hockey League. I think our lines speed benefits us greatly here and I think it will be hard to catch up to them.

THIRD LINES:
I'm a big fan of the Hurricanes third line, Martin Gelinas had wheels and was a timely goal scorer. Bob Carpenter was an offensive dynamo and put up very good numbers. I don't know enough about Dave Trottier, but based on his stats it looks like he was a key player in the first decade of the twentieth century. The Skipjacks third line is basically just a shutdown line with some offense, Curt Fraser had a few good seasons offensively, but had a defense-first mentality. He was one of the better defensive forwards in his era. Jaroslav Holik may be obsolete offensively, but his agitating style makes him absolute hell to play against. His size would destroy people, and he'd be like a heat-seeking missile towards the puck, the opponent was about to suffer an unfortunate fate if they had the puck on their stick the same time Holik was on the ice. Chico Maki was a pest, and he was good at what he did. He wasted no time starting chaos on the ice, and would use his blazing speed to weave in and out of the defensive tandem the opposing team provided.
Advantage: If this is a debate over offense, Carolina gets the nod. But overall, the Skipjacks third line will be absolute hell to play to against, and they also showcase offense.

FOURTH LINES:
Kelly Miller was a nominee for the Frank J. Selke Trophy as the best defensive forward, he did not win. But the recognition showed that Kelly was a great hockey player in his own end, and in the opponents end. Orest Kindrachuk, the captain of the Skipjacks is a defensive-minded player, who would often display offense as well. His skating, alike Holik's wasn't phenomenal, but made up for it in other areas with his shot, and his strength which he used to take the body en route to a successful career as a two-way forward. Doug Brown was tactile and is a perfect fit for a fourth line as a role player. He can score timely goals, but also provide any necessary defense. Mike Fisher is a mediocre defensive player in my opinion, he as well is a former nominee of the Selke Trophy, but in a different era of hockey than Miller. He is a valuable secondary-scorer, but that's as far his talent level goes. Irvine is an impressive athlete and a hard working player who is in a good role just like Doug Brown. I don't know enough about Beaudro to critique him. Another very good defensive line for Baltimore that could very easily hold a lead.

Defense and Goaltending summary to come later.

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Waiting for madarcand to do their contribution to this, but when that is done expect something from me. All I'll say for now is this is an even matchup and good luck to our opponents once again.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Let's compare the forward lines, shall we?

Line 1:
Yashin is by far the most talented player in the series. When he was on, he was a dominant offensive center and Hart finalist. He wasn't always on though, and while his play later on was still good, he was just a regular 1st line center on a weak club instead of the superstar he was earlier in his career. He gets often maligned, but most of it comes from the ridiculous contract the Isles gave him. His play there might not have been as stellar as in Ottawa, but it was more than adequate. He led the team to consistent playoff appearances after the Isles missed playoffs for eight years in a row. His playoff resume is also often criticized, but he wasn't consistently bad in playoffs - he had horrible years, usually when his teams got swept, but also pretty good years when he was PPG or close to it - and that was four times out of his eight playoff appearances. He was also playing very well in Nagano, finishing with 6 points in 6 games. One thing we can't forget, Yashin was pretty damn big guy, and as such was hard to separate from the puck.

On the other hand we have Kuhnackl, a giant of a man, who dominated a joke of a league in Germany, but also was a productive player in the olympics. But it's never been establish how well would he play when faced with real opponents instead of opponents well below ECHL level for a full season.

The wings are brothers vs. brothers. Courtnalls may not have had the greatest skills, but they more than made up for lack of elite skill with their speed. Russ also added good stickhandling and playmaking, and solid defensive play, while Geoff played with an edge. Both have been first line players in the NHL for years, and while no stars, they got the job done.

Stastny's never proved they can play at elite level without their superstar brother. Unlike him, neither of them was even good enough to make the Slovak Hall of Fame (which, incidentally, Vincent Lukac did). While both were solid hockey players, they still rode the shotgun to Peter for pretty much their whole careers. What's more interesting, Kuhnackl is not only nowhere near Peter Stastny's caliber, he's also a very different type of player, and I doubt he'll fit two brothers who played with Peter since early childhood and were both used to him and at their best with him at all.

Advantage: clearly Carolina

Line 2:
Eric Vail is a big, credible - if a bit slowish - offensive threat. Dave Gagner is a feisty, well-skating but undersized center. Christian adds yet more speed and good offensive instincts. Thing is the line has no playmaker. Every one of the players was more of a finisher - aside from Dave Christian early in his career, I guess. I'm also unsure if Vail can really keep up with the other two guys. The players are good, but the chemistry seems lacking. There is also little defensive acumen to speak of here.

Lukac was one of the greatest goalscorers in the Czechoslovak league's history, and the best Slovak one ever. He had a very hard and accurate slapshot, and was a very fast skater who loved to get into the slot and blast shots for the top corners. He's also over PPG against top level internation competition, having participated in one Canada Cup and two Olympics (like Yashin, earned one Olympic silver). He played on one of the best international lines of his era (with Igor Liba and XXX). Liba was the two-way, hard-working, defensively responsible playmaker there - and Mike Ridley fills that role for us. He also brings quality playmaking and will feed Lukac in the slot. Whitney is a speedster with abundance of skill, who put up big numbers late in his career, and was always among his team's offensive leaders. Whitney is also more of a playmaker, but has a good shot and can put the puck in the back of the net often. Still, the primary goalscorer here is Lukac, clearly.

Advantage: Carolina

Line 3:
You're way overselling Holik here. The way you paint him he'd be a bigger, better Mike Peca - and he wasn't that. He was of good size for his time, worked and trained hard, and played with incredible tenacity and sometimes even too much aggressivity, but he was *not* a defense first player - he played on top line in his club! Maki is a good agitator, but offense-wise doesn't bring much. Curt Fraser was a tough power forward, but I don't see much info that'd praise his defensive game. Your third line is physical, tough and pain to play against, but I don't see it as particulary strong defensively.

Gelinas was gritty, fast, good defensively, and most of all, exceptional clutch goalscorer. He'll play with the offensive wiz turned defensive specialist in Carpenter, and the tough, fast and defensively elite Trottier. I actually think our third line is superior both offensively and defensively, much faster and isn't lacking too much in terms of grit.

Advantage: clearly Carolina

Line 4:
Kelly Miller is great defensive winger with good speed and some offense - one of my faves in draft. Kindrachuk is fine playmaker and strong defensively. Brown was feisty little guy with solid defensive play. I think your 4th line is far better than your third defensively, pretty damn strong actually. It lacks offensive potential though, especially finishing-wise.

Irvine was a tough, hard working player who could contribute some offense. Beaudro was great defensive player and solid playmaker, but wasn't much of a finisher. Mike Fisher can provide solid offense and also adds good defensive game. Your line is wee bit better defensively, courtesy of Brown's edge on Irvine, but also a bit behind offensively.

Edge: rather even

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
THIRD LINES:
I'm a big fan of the Hurricanes third line, Martin Gelinas had wheels and was a timely goal scorer. Bob Carpenter was an offensive dynamo and put up very good numbers. I don't know enough about Dave Trottier, but based on his stats it looks like he was a key player in the first decade of the twentieth century. The Skipjacks third line is basically just a shutdown line with some offense, Curt Fraser had a few good seasons offensively, but had a defense-first mentality. He was one of the better defensive forwards in his era. Jaroslav Holik may be obsolete offensively, but he was one of the best shutdown forwards to ever play the game. His size would destroy people, and he'd be like a heat-seeking missile towards the puck, the opponent was about to suffer an unfortunate fate if they had the puck on their stick the same time Holik was on the ice. Chico Maki was a pest, and he was good at what he did. He wasted no time starting chaos on the ice, and would use his blazing speed to weave in and out of the defensive tandem the opposing team provided.
Advantage: If this is a debate over offense, Carolina gets the nod. But overall, the Skipjacks third line will be absolute hell to play to against, and they also showcase offense.

So you really are trying to make Jaroslav Holik out to be some kind of shut down force in this? Some proof that he has any shut down ability would be helpful before you talk about him as "one of the best shutdown forwards ever."

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Stastny's never proved they can play at elite level without their superstar brother. Unlike him, neither of them was even good enough to make the Slovak Hall of Fame (which, incidentally, Vincent Lukac did). While both were solid hockey players, they still rode the shotgun to Peter for pretty much their whole careers. What's more interesting, Kuhnackl is not only nowhere near Peter Stastny's caliber, he's also a very different type of player, and I doubt he'll fit two brothers who played with Peter since early childhood and were both used to him and at their best with him at all.

It's interesting to me that Marion isn't in the Slovak HOF. When the Stastny's played together for the national team, wasn't Marion considered the best one? I read that Peter said that Marion was the most talented of the three. But Marion was 30 when he defected to the US, so his best years were behind him. (Though maybe this is just talk, since Peter is the one who won the Golden Stick the year before he defected).

Agree that Anton appeared to be riding Peter's coattails.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad