MLB work stoppage almost certain on Dec. 2

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Montreal should be in the AL East with Toronto, Boston, and New York. All three cities are close and could make for good rivalries. The old expos being in the NL hurt them I believe - not as much as having bad owners, stadiums etc. The Blue Jays also need a natural rival and no better city than Montreal to provide that.

Detroit and Toronto had a great rivalry that filled both parks when they played. But alas, had to cut those down so that Pittsburgh showed up every once in a while.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Detroit and Toronto had a great rivalry that filled both parks when they played. But alas, had to cut those down so that Pittsburgh showed up every once in a while.

I loved those games against the Tigers, white sox, and Indians I kind of wish MLB would just go to the two divisions in the AL again or at least put the Jays back in the central as we are closer.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
MLBPA rejects MLB's final CBA offer before league's Tuesday deadline

Paywall. The Athletic story on union not accepting latest proposed CBA.

So deadline not met.

Will MLB cancel week to week? How will MiLB be impacted?

I'm always reading and hearing that MLB is swimming in cash, so not grinding out a deal before the deadline(five minutes from now) is surprising. Both sides surely know that losing a significant chunk of the regular season would be a disaster. I care mainly because the loss of regular season games will hurt the city of Boston.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Don't call the MLB lockout millionaires vs. billionaires. There are far bigger stakes

A look at the economics being fought in these negotiations.

MLB teams limit contract $$s to players in their first SIX seasons before they can reach free agency. (Contrast that to NHL which limits a player's first/entry level contract.)

Article looked at statistics showing that nearly half of all base hits are made by guys in 1st six years of playing.

Yet, teams usually aren't willing to pay free agents for their past work, and have manipulated system to not allow timely free agency (manipulating tenure by keeping kids in minors, etc.).

That's a major push of focus by union in these negotiations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad