OT: MLB Thread XXII: The Mets Are Actually Undefeated In Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Bumgarner is very possible provided that SF finally decides that they need to tear it down.

They need to push their chips for another arm in addition though. Should have happened last season but fortunately we’re not working with a super small window here

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The Yankees absolutely need to trade for a high end starting pitcher this winter. Baumgartner is the most realistic target. deGrom would be a dream, but the Mets would want way too much for him in addition to the Yankee tax that they'll ask for.

Andujar is my biggest trade chip.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
The Yankees absolutely need to trade for a high end starting pitcher this winter. Baumgartner is the most realistic target. deGrom would be a dream, but the Mets would want way too much for him in addition to the Yankee tax that they'll ask for.

I would absolutely trade Andujar for an ace. As good a hitter as he is, he's a DH.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Yankee tax = Intercity rivals tax

I hope Andujar doesn't do anything for the Mets because he belongs in the AL playing DH, IMO.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I believe Machado will be a Yankee. I like it mainly down to the fact that Andujar at 3B severely hinders our team defense. Machado is arguably the best non-Chapman defensive 3B in the league. Defense was a big issue this season.
They are not signing Machado. They do not need another right handed hitter. Nor can they afford him. Not with Stanton on the payroll. And what is in it for LA to trade for Stanton?

Andujar can be taught defense. He can improve enough to be adequate.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They are not signing Machado. They do not need another right handed hitter. Nor can they afford him. Not with Stanton on the payroll. And what is in it for LA to trade for Stanton?

Andujar can be taught defense. He can improve enough to be adequate.
A lot of guys never learn to be adequate. What makes you certain Andujar can learn? I'm not saying he can't; I'm just curious why you're so sure he can.

Reactions: romba and All Might

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
To me, the Yankees need to do one of two things with Andujar.

Move him to 1B or trade him. He just doesn't have the defensive acumen to guard the hot corner.

The Yankees need a high end starter. Tanaka is injury prone and Severino got tired in the second half and couldn't be counted on in the postseason.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
A lot of guys never learn to be adequate. What makes you certain Andujar can learn? I'm not saying he can't; I'm just curious why you're so sure he can.
I think that he can be taught to be adequate, not Gold Glove. He has issues throwing and judging, not necessarily moving to the left or right. He is athletic enough to be able to improve.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think that he can be taught to be adequate, not Gold Glove. He has issues throwing and judging, not necessarily moving to the left or right. He is athletic enough to be able to improve.
IDK. Hasn't he been playing 3B his whole career? He's not learning a new position. He's been receiving instruction there in one of sports' premiere organizations for many years. Not that a 24-year-old can't improve. I just wouldn't necessarily bet on it. Time will tell I suppose.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
What's the plan for Voit? He would seem to be a nice addition as an everyday 1st baseman?

I'd give him a longer look. Most likely he's a flash in the pan, but who knows. If it weren't for him we may not have made it out of the WC game... people are way too critical here and place unreasonably lofty expectations on some players. He's also a good character and fun to watch. We could certainly use someone like him to liven up the dugout. That and Bird sucks ass, so the options are limited

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Not sure why you'd expect him to improve defensively. Most players generally come into the league at the best they are defensively and just gradually get worse as they age.

Voit has been a good hitter at every level he's played at. I would definitely want to re-sign him for the Yankees.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We could certainly use someone like him to liven up the dugout. That and Bird sucks ass, so the options are limited
It's a bit of a tricky thing. The thing is that you do not really need both Bird and Voit. Benches are much shorter now with everyone carrying extra bullpen arms and the bench should have players who can play multiple positions. And I still have hope for Bird. He has shown in the past that he can be a top player. But his injuries and the bottom falling out on him this year cannot be denied. I am not yet ready to give up on him, but he should have a short leash.

That said, Voit has hit in the minors. He is probably the monster he was in September, could certainly provide power. Don't know. Let them battle it out in spring training?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Bird's 2015 was pretty much Voit's 2018. And he's sucked besides that. He's proven just as much as Voit has.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Yankee tax = Intercity rivals tax

I hope Andujar doesn't do anything for the Mets because he belongs in the AL playing DH, IMO.

Mets are not trading Jake. They think they can be a playoff team next year.

The Mets were 13 games behind the Braves. deGrom won 10 games on 32 starts. With even decent run support deGrom would have won 25 games and that would have put us right there.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Mets are not trading Jake. They think they can be a playoff team next year.

The Mets were 13 games behind the Braves. deGrom won 10 games on 32 starts. With even decent run support deGrom would have won 25 games and that would have put us right there.
"If our offense wasn't bad" is a massive if.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
"If our offense wasn't bad" is a massive if.

Not even bad. We are taking 10 games where he just needed 2 runs and those are 10 more wins.

Hopefully continued development from Mcneill, Conforto, Nimmo and healthy Bruce and Frazier make up the difference.

And finally getting a catcher they can get consistent production from. And shoring up the bullpen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad