OT: MLB Thread XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
You said we need "more people who play sports." You think if we just hired more "people who play sports" that pitchers would stop trying to maximize their spin rates, that hitters would stop worrying about launch angles and exit velocities and just play ball? That cat's out of the bag. And it's not because of people who haven't played sports.

The analytics community obviously isn't packed with former athletes, but it's been adopted by them. Guys like Alex Cora, Kevin Cash, Craig Counsell, AJ Hinch, Gabe Kapler, etc., those are all guys who played the game and who absolutely embrace data-driven approaches to managing. Even a lot of the older guys understand that an analytical approach gives them the edge.

For the most part the guys that are playing now understand the need to embrace the data and approach things in a different way. The guys playing now will be the next wave of managers in 10 years, and the trend will continue. It's not a matter of finding people who played the game, since the game has fundamentally changed.

I don't exactly enjoy baseball now the way I used to, but it's the guys who actually play who made the decision to change the way they approach the game who have gotten us here.

i get what your saying. And your right, the game is never going back unless rule changes are made which alters the game.

It sucks. However, it is all because of the analytics and non athletes that started this mess. Athletes just want to win and will use whatever advantage they can get.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Aaahh baseball. Millionaires and billionaires screaming at each other. The only thing that will come out of this is higher prices for fans.

baseball is slowly killing itself

and having a lockout that wipes out games will make the demise go faster. Especially since the state of the game itself is poor and peoples attention spans are shorter than ever.

Speedtrials

May 31, 2006
BB
Aaahh baseball. Millionaires and billionaires screaming at each other. The only thing that will come out of this is higher prices for fans.

and having a lockout that wipes out games will make the demise go faster. Especially since the state of the game itself is poor and peoples attention spans are shorter than ever.

I teach in an urban area. 15 years ago, you would see the boys wear Yankees and Mets gear. Now anything baseball is a rare sight. The kids watch the NBA and NFL, and most of the time they laugh if I bring up baseball to them.

Last edited:

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
So it looks like the DH is going to be official this year. Such a shame i hate the DH.

Though i wish they did a compromise DH. You have the DH until you remove your starter. Then the DH is removed as well and u need your pitcher to hit.

would love the extra complexity it would bring to the game as well as forcing starters to pitch longer instead of seeing the parade of relief pitchers. Plus it is a good blend of Al and NL ball.

and i know the relief pitcher problem was partially solved but still. I would like starters to pitch longer into the game.

also it might force DH players to actually learn how to play the entire game of baseball and not just swinging the bat.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So it looks like the DH is going to be official this year. Such a shame i hate the DH.

Though i wish they did a compromise DH. You have the DH until you remove your starter. Then the DH is removed as well and u need your pitcher to hit.

would love the extra complexity it would bring to the game as well as forcing starters to pitch longer instead of seeing the parade of relief pitchers. Plus it is a good blend of Al and NL ball.

and i know the relief pitcher problem was partially solved but still. I would like starters to pitch longer into the game.

also it might force DH players to actually learn how to play the entire game of baseball and not just swinging the bat.
Yeah I've never been a fan of the DH, either. I did sort of come to accept it, though. I can appreciate the roster flexibility it gives you, particularly when you're the Mets and 3/4 of your team is a terrible corner OFer or 1B.

Reactions: Ruggs225

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Couldnt agree more - and they are doing it in several ways

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Yeah I've never been a fan of the DH, either. I did sort of come to accept it, though. I
can appreciate the roster flexibility it gives you, particularly when you're the Mets and 3/4 of your team is a terrible corner OFer or 1B.

haha so true. Its like thats all we draft. Players who can hit, but cant field at all

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
More excited about baty than vientos
I know most people feel that way. I've had the opportunity to see both, and the ball really just explodes off Vientos' bat. He's a month younger than Baty and more advanced at this point. Baty is the better defender and is more patient at the dish, but I just can't ignore the way I've seen Vientos kill the ball (and the .933 OPS he posted last year). I'm happy to have both.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Old timers day for the mets is Aug 27 vs Colorado it was announced.

at least something will be worth watching late in august as we go through another failure of a season. And yes i know we are supposed to be good, but its the Mets. We always find ways to screw up promising seasons. I expect nothing less.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
A little out of context and a little not. Tyler Skaggs trial is ongoing and Matt Harvey was granted immunity to take the stand. TJ Quinn is reporting everything on the trial and here is the one thing that stands out:

Not saying who it is, but he was at MSG all the time when he was with the Mets. Clearly, there is likely a connection there.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
At this point, I'm actually hoping to start 2023 on time.
The NHL lockouts killed me, I'd check for updates hourly desperate for good news. I like baseball, but not nearly to the same extant so I can go a few weeks and then check in. Pitchers and catchers were supposed to report today? *shrug* bummer I guess.

After the last temporary covid agreement passed last minute, both sides seemed pissed and felt they had 'conceded' and you just knew an extended lockout was coming.

MLB f***ing with the baseballs yearly. potentially based on more big name offensive vs pitching FAs that year is great though. That's penny pinching and thinking outside the box if true, kudos! Even if untrue the players distrust must be through the roof.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
A little out of context and a little not. Tyler Skaggs trial is ongoing and Matt Harvey was granted immunity to take the stand. TJ Quinn is reporting everything on the trial and here is the one thing that stands out:

Not saying who it is, but he was at MSG all the time when he was with the Mets. Clearly, there is likely a connection there.

hes talking about this in LA though. These were all questions about where they (Angels players) got pills.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The season was never starting on time. Lost games is the only leverage owners have over players.

Reactions: Ruggs225

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Apparently we gave up JT Ginn and Adam Oller. I'm really not happy about losing Ginn, who has great. great upside, but Bassitt is a really nice get. Oller is a guy who came out of nowhere last year but I'm not sure what to make of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad