OT: MLB Thread XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Its no sure thing we beat their bullpen/Greinke/Verlander, whichever route they want to go now for games 4 and 5. The Yankees staff could easily lay an egg so i would be just as concerned with that factor too.

They needed to win one of Game 2 or 3. They had chances and failed. Part of that failure is the lineup construction and in game management. This is on Boone. He is Cashman’s puppet and a slave to the numbers. The numbers for the year/career can almost be thrown out the window. You have to have a damn feel for the game. Ottavino looks burnt out and clearly doesnt have it, yet Boone keeps bringing him in. And then follows it up in the postgame saying he isnt making changes. This is what happens when you have a manager with little experience to draw on. The way the league’s competition is constructed right now, i couldve managed this group through 162 games and they wouldve made the playoffs. You need a manager who knows when its time to make a change. Boone doesnt know. He will hold the numbers close and use them as his excuse when this team is eliminated. Its outrageous and infuriating that our season hangs in the balance with him at the helm.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Its no sure thing we beat their bullpen/Greinke/Verlander, whichever route they want to go now for games 4 and 5. The Yankees staff could easily lay an egg so i would be just as concerned with that factor too.

They needed to win one of Game 2 or 3. They had chances and failed. Part of that failure is the lineup construction and in game management. This is on Boone. He is Cashman’s puppet and a slave to the numbers. The numbers for the year/career can almost be thrown out the window. You have to have a damn feel for the game. Ottavino looks burnt out and clearly doesnt have it, yet Boone keeps bringing him in. And then follows it up in the postgame saying he isnt making changes. This is what happens when you have a manager with little experience to draw on. The way the league’s competition is constructed right now, i couldve managed this group through 162 games and they wouldve made the playoffs. You need a manager who knows when its time to make a change. Boone doesnt know. He will hold the numbers close and use them as his excuse when this team is eliminated. Its outrageous and infuriating that our season hangs in the balance with him at the helm.
Yeah, this team is very flawed and absolutely don't deserve to be up 2-1, but that doesn't change the fact that Boone is probably the reason they're not.

He gave away game 2.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
image0.png

Could always be worse tho

Reactions: Leetch3
Dec 9, 2009
New York City

Boone isn't the only one managing the Yankees....

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Boone isn't the only one managing the Yankees....

No he isn’t, but it’d be nice if he had a better feel for the game.

For instance, pulling Paxton the other night was a fantastic move. Gave them the opportunity to win that game. Otto in that spot was the right call analytics wise but green was mowing people down, sometimes you need to throw the numbers out the window and pay attention to what’s going on in front of you.

I hated when he pulled Tanaka after 6 in g1

Reactions: RGY and Machinehead

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I'm with ya, but I have the added reality of working in DC and living in the suburbs and dealing with the bandwagon Nats fans all day. They can all **** themselves.

I live in DC. Now I gotta deal with this crap all over town. First it was Rock the Red, now Nattitude.

Ugh, I feel your pain. It was already bad enough during the Caps run to the Cup, now we have to relive it again with the Nats. Although I will say there are more Nats fans who actually know baseball and the team than Caps fans who knew a damn thing about hockey and the Caps before becoming insufferable bandwagoners.

As far as the Yankees, game three against Cole went as expected. I think the flaw in the Yanks is that he wasn't pitching for them instead of against them in game 3. He would have shut down the Astros hitters as well. One interesting thing though, he gave up 5 BB and "only" struck out 7.

Reactions: will1066
Dec 9, 2009
New York City
No he isn’t, but it’d be nice if he had a better feel for the game.

For instance, pulling Paxton the other night was a fantastic move. Gave them the opportunity to win that game. Otto in that spot was the right call analytics wise but green was mowing people down, sometimes you need to throw the numbers out the window and pay attention to what’s going on in front of you.

I hated when he pulled Tanaka after 6 in g1

I'm not sure their analytics people give him leeway for that. This was heavily discussed last year during the regular season/post-season with some of the moves he was making. Red Sox and Astros analytics people let Cora/Hinch sometimes ignore the numbers. My understanding is the Yankees are a lot more restrictive.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Not to get too OT but the Rangers signing Panarin was like using febreeze right after your dog takes a giant **** on the rug.
They’re 2-1.

Seriously man? How about we at least until they play 20 games before we start calling them out for signing Panarin...which again was never about signing him for this season.

Anyways pulling out all the superstitious stops today with the hope that they can take Game 4 and even the series. Praying this lineup gets going. We need a raucous crowd tonight.

Reactions: sbjnyc

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'm not sure their analytics people give him leeway for that. This was heavily discussed last year during the regular season/post-season with some of the moves he was making. Red Sox and Astros analytics people let Cora/Hinch sometimes ignore the numbers. My understanding is the Yankees are a lot more restrictive.
That’s all great to say he is being restricted but he is gona lose this series anyway if he doesnt start making moves that are based on the moment and not the numbers. Maybe not this year but he keeps failing with the talent he does have regardless of the average SP staff, he will be out of a job and then what? Might as well try something different, trust your gut and make a gutsy call to win the game. The fact that he will keep bringing in Ottavino is disgusting. Makes me irate. Ottavino’s stuff is not sharp. He is not locating well. Everyone sees it. So the numbers from the season when he was more rested or 100%, they dont matter now. He is clearly burnt out. He shouldnt be an option in a close game which is 4 runs or less in either direction.

But Boone isnt managing. He is a puppet. And well there goes the season because we dont have a Manager with some balls to go against the grain and make the tough calls.

I said it all season...we will not win because of Boone. Or because of Rothschild. Or because of Thames. Theyre all garbage and should be replaced. If we do win it will be in spite of them with our all star lineup taking over. Boone has a great bullpen sure, but instead of leaving Green in during game 2 he just HAD to go to Ottavino. He had to do it because the numbers.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
That’s all great to say he is being restricted but he is gona lose this series anyway if he doesnt start making moves that are based on the moment and not the numbers. Maybe not this year but he keeps failing with the talent he does have regardless of the average SP staff, he will be out of a job and then what? Might as well try something different, trust your gut and make a gutsy call to win the game. The fact that he will keep bringing in Ottavino is disgusting. Makes me irate. Ottavino’s stuff is not sharp. He is not locating well. Everyone sees it. So the numbers from the season when he was more rested or 100%, they dont matter now. He is clearly burnt out. He shouldnt be an option in a close game which is 4 runs or less in either direction.

But Boone isnt managing. He is a puppet. And well there goes the season because we dont have a Manager with some balls to go against the grain and make the tough calls.

I said it all season...we will not win because of Boone. Or because of Rothschild. Or because of Thames. Theyre all garbage and should be replaced. If we do win it will be in spite of them with our all star lineup taking over. Boone has a great bullpen sure, but instead of leaving Green in during game 2 he just HAD to go to Ottavino. He had to do it because the numbers.

He technically can go by his "gut". But apparently it better work, cause the analytics people/GM will question him. And if he does it too much and comes up short, they will give him his walking papers.

It's one of the reasons why they let go of Girardi. He bought into the analytics stuff but wasn't a slave to it the way Cashman is.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They’re 2-1.

Seriously man? How about we at least until they play 20 games before we start calling them out for signing Panarin...which again was never about signing him for this season.

Anyways pulling out all the superstitious stops today with the hope that they can take Game 4 and even the series. Praying this lineup gets going. We need a raucous crowd tonight.
Ok, I'll wait exactly 20 games before I bring up our AHL-caliber metrics again. Deal.

Reactions: RGY

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
the idea that Green was mowing down the stros and was untouchable is unfounded. Bregman, Gurriel and Chirinos all hit the ball 100+MPH off of him. He got lucky on the Bregman lineout big time, ahead 0-2 and missed with a fastball down in the zone, hit it hard but right at Maybin.

it made sense to let him face Marisnick/Tucker to start the 5th who have gaping holes at the top of the strikezone with Green's riding fastball and then go to Otto for the top of the order. you signed Otto for spots like this. He threw a slider that backed up instead of turning the corner and got f***ed, shit happens.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
the idea that Green was mowing down the stros and was untouchable is unfounded. Bregman, Gurriel and Chirinos all hit the ball 100+MPH off of him. He got lucky on the Bregman lineout big time, ahead 0-2 and missed with a fastball down in the zone, hit it hard but right at Maybin.

it made sense to let him face Marisnick/Tucker to start the 5th who have gaping holes at the top of the strikezone with Green's riding fastball and then go to Otto for the top of the order. you signed Otto for spots like this. He threw a slider that backed up instead of turning the corner and got ****ed, **** happens.
Shit has been happening for 10 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad