OT: MLB Thread XIV: Opening Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So which scout said Neil Walker can't hit lefties? And, the 3rd spot in the lineup is now Conforto's permanent home. The Mets sure do like hitting at Citizen's Bank Park.

Dude had three homers in five years from the right side and now has three from the right side this season.

I like that thing where Cabrera is there at the top step to remove the batting helmet of whoever hits a HR. It's cute.

Also, Verrett is the man. So glad we got him back.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Dude had three homers in five years from the right side and now has three from the right side this season.

I like that thing where Cabrera is there at the top step to remove the batting helmet of whoever hits a HR. It's cute.

Note to Karl Ravech...no I don't think we can call the race in the NL East over.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Mets need to lock Walker up.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
TC has a weird fascination with Jim Henderson. It feels like he has pitched in every game this season.

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Yeah The Mets being a very good team right now makes this about .00001 percent easier to swallow. I got Conforto who is really starting to turn it up right now, Matz coming off his 2nd straight good start even though he got touched up a bit and Fam who I feel like we barely seen this year on my fantasy team. Still early in the season but the Mets need to absolutely beat up on the Phillies,braves and Marlins (who are not quite as bad as the other 2) to win the division. Just like last year there is a very good chance only the division winner will get into the playoffs with the NL central being the best in MLB and Dodgers/Giants out in the west. The Dbacks are probably a year away from being very good.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If you are a Yankees fan you'll need barrells and barrells of booze if you are planning to watch most games.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The Mets are literally the exact opposite of the Rangers: A team that is almost impossible to dislike with good young talent that is actually fun to watch.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The Mets strikeout a ton. They also hit a lot of HRs. Interesting offense.

I was an admitted bandwagon fan last year so I'm sure most of you long sufferers will despise me (rightfully so), but I have had a lot of fun watching the Mets this year.

Will be a nice diversion given the shorter NYR season and lack of NHL draft intrigue.

*Bob Richards*

Figured the Mets would go on a hitting tear starting after the first game I attended this year. :laugh:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The Mets strikeout a ton. They also hit a lot of HRs. Interesting offense.

This type of offense worries me. It's fine when they're facing decent to sub par pitching but come facing aces or teams with very good to great pitching (the Mets should at the very least be a Wild Card team) it's too feast or famine.

Even tonight, how many 3-0, 3-1 pitches have the Mets swung at and either popped out or grounded out. You need to make the pitchers work and get them out of the games early. Think the late 90s Yankees. David Eckstein in his prime on the Angels. They're also awful with RISP.

Mets have Conforto and Granderson as patient hitters who work the count. That's it. Last October was fun but if Daniel Murphy doesn't turn into baseball Esa Tikannen, Mets don't get past the Dodgers. No guarantee this year vs. the Nationals or Cubs.

They need to make a deal for one more patient batter maybe platooning with Duda.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The Mets are actually one of the most patient teams in the league. They are 24th in overall swing rate and 27th in swing rate in pitched outside the zone.

This isn't something new as they were in a similar spot last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad