OT: MLB Thread - Part XVI: Come On. Do Something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
You could see immediately with both Conforto and Rosario the skill level. I don't see the same from Smith. Again, prove me wrong, but I don't have the same excitement for Smith I do for Conforto and Rosario.

I actually think his skill level is on point. He got to the majors while not being in optimal physical shape. I believe when he gets there, he could take off.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm listening to Joe and Evan, and I think they are missing the point about the recent Met deals. Yes, I'd like to get better returns, this team needs to see what their young players can do. They need to see what they have in a player like Nmmo, so I need to see Granderson moved. The problem is the manager.

Terry is a proud guy with a long career that's probably reaching its end (certainly with us). Unless he receives a mandate to play kids over vets, I think he's going to field a lineup every night that he thinks gives him the best chance to win some more games. And Granderson, for as bad as he was that first month or so, has actually provided a couple WAR since then.

I'd rather see all the younger guys play as well, but again, barring a mandate from Alderson, Terry is going to try to win. He's not managing for next season since there probably is no next season for him. Reminds me of Rex Ryan at the end of his Jets tenure...he didn't care about draft position or young guys getting reps, he wanted to ****ing win before getting fired.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Terry is a proud guy with a long career that's probably reaching its end (certainly with us). Unless he receives a mandate to play kids over vets, I think he's going to field a lineup every night that he thinks gives him the best chance to win some more games. And Granderson, for as bad as he was that first month or so, has actually provided a couple WAR since then.

I'd rather see all the younger guys play as well, but again, barring a mandate from Alderson, Terry is going to try to win. He's not managing for next season since there probably is no next season for him. Reminds me of Rex Ryan at the end of his Jets tenure...he didn't care about draft position or young guys getting reps, he wanted to ****ing win before getting fired.

Wouldn't be heartbroken to see Sandy and Terry go.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm listening to Joe and Evan, and I think they are missing the point about the recent Met deals. Yes, I'd like to get better returns, this team needs to see what their young players can do. They need to see what they have in a player like Nmmo, so I need to see Granderson moved. The problem is the manager.
Would love Grandy back for one last kick at the can. Yankees need a LH power hitter anyways.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think Sandy has been fine. He's brought in some talent and has made some good trades and signings.

Granderson was killed as a signing, but he has actually done well here. Signed Colon and he was nothing but solid for us in his time here. He traded Jon Niese for Neil Walker. Pulling the trigger on the Cespedes trade, even though it involved Fulmer, has been great. He also signed him long term. Got Addison Reed for next to nothing.

The biggest deal was Syndergaard and d'Arnaud for Dickey. Highway robbery.

His drafts have been good: Conforto, Nimmo, and Smith have all cracked the majors. Cecchini might make it soon, if we can move Cabrera out. He re-stocked the farm from 2011 until now and brought guys up from it, moved players out to get ML talent.

I'm fine with him running the show. We need a new voice in the locker room though. Move on from Collins. He's been okay, but not great.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I need to not see Granderson and Cabrera in the lineup, when it's more to see if Nimmo is more than just a 4th OF or Cecchini can play at the major league level.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have no problems keeping Sandy, as long as he learned from his mistake and addresses the rotation.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Why would it peeve them?

He was more Selig's choice than the Wilpons' by some accounts. They might be fine with him now but he might be a reminder of a darker past. We'll see if he renews or the Mets go another way. I wonder if any other team in pro sports has a combined age of GM and HC/manager higher than the Mets (137.95).

Speaking of the Wilpons I wonder if they'll add Tebow to the 40-man roster to sell some tickets in september.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Sandy has been fine. He's brought in some talent and has made some good trades and signings.

Granderson was killed as a signing, but he has actually done well here. Signed Colon and he was nothing but solid for us in his time here. He traded Jon Niese for Neil Walker. Pulling the trigger on the Cespedes trade, even though it involved Fulmer, has been great. He also signed him long term. Got Addison Reed for next to nothing.

The biggest deal was Syndergaard and d'Arnaud for Dickey. Highway robbery.

His drafts have been good: Conforto, Nimmo, and Smith have all cracked the majors. Cecchini might make it soon, if we can move Cabrera out. He re-stocked the farm from 2011 until now and brought guys up from it, moved players out to get ML talent.

I'm fine with him running the show. We need a new voice in the locker room though. Move on from Collins. He's been okay, but not great.

I agree with this. Get rid of Collins, keep Alderson.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't care how Smith plays right now, he'll be a quality ML'er, but I'd prefer Duda. I don't Smith will ever be better than Duda's current level, and if Smith has any value, I'd take Duda back and trade Smith for a C or CF. But if Duda isn't going to return, you gotta give Smith a season as the starting 1B. If he doesn't do well, we can turn to Peter Alonso who might be a righty Duda.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Duda is finally a UFA and will be 32 next season. He's going to want a long term contract and given his injury history I pass. Maybe he'd have taken the 1 year $18 million QO if he stayed but we'll never know.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You know I love my advanced stats, but is it possible that the WAR formula over-values homeruns just a little bit?

I'm talking specifically about Brett Gardner. He has one of the better WAR's on the Yankees but to me it looks like he does absolutely **** all outside of 19 homeruns.

Batting avg is whatever. Driven in a healthy amount of runs, but Yankees with worse oWAR have driven in more. Strikes out a lot. OPS is garbage. 15 steals but how much us that moving the needle? He's only a +5 above replacement in run creation. Gary Sanchez who has an inferior WAR is a +11.

And yeah, Gardner has a reputation for being incredible defensively. But while he has had some crazy defensive WAR seasons, his 2017 defensive WAR is nothing special, and even though it's positive, it's one of Gardner's worst by his standards.

I could very well be missing something here, but I'd love to know what it is.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You know I love my advanced stats, but is it possible that the WAR formula over-values homeruns just a little bit?

I'm talking specifically about Brett Gardner. He has one of the better WAR's on the Yankees but to me it looks like he does absolutely **** all outside of 19 homeruns.

Batting avg is whatever. Driven in a healthy amount of runs, but Yankees with worse oWAR have driven in more. Strikes out a lot. OPS is garbage. 15 steals but how much us that moving the needle? He's only a +5 above replacement in run creation. Gary Sanchez who has an inferior WAR is a +11.

And yeah, Gardner has a reputation for being incredible defensively. But while he has had some crazy defensive WAR seasons, his 2017 defensive WAR is nothing special, and even though it's positive, it's one of Gardner's worst by his standards.

I could very well be missing something here, but I'd love to know what it is.

OPS is slugging + on base and Gardner does only one of them well. His OBP is almost 100 points higher than his BA. Others have driven in more runs but RBIs is a stupid stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad