OT: MLB Thread - Part XVI: Come On. Do Something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Totally saw that coming there. They knew Rosario thought they were going in the dirt and they put one down the middle

It wasn't down the middle. It was an inch or 2 off the plate but Betances got the call.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Robles is a disgrace, but at this point I take every L with a smile. Mets are in the mix with about 7-8 other teams for a top draft pick, though I think the Phillies or Sox will get the first 2.

Would be really happy with a top 5 pick, and then having full seasons of Noah and Yoenis next year to pair with superstar Conforto and hopefully solid contributors Wilmer-Amed-and maybe Dom. Mets desperately need a sturdy #3 pitcher in the offseason too.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Robles is a disgrace, but at this point I take every L with a smile. Mets are in the mix with about 7-8 other teams for a top draft pick, though I think the Phillies or Sox will get the first 2.

Would be really happy with a top 5 pick, and then having full seasons of Noah and Yoenis next year to pair with superstar Conforto and hopefully solid contributors Wilmer-Amed-and maybe Dom. Mets desperately need a sturdy #3 pitcher in the offseason too.

I have no clue why Robles was brought in for another inning. Collins seems to be totally losing it at this point and they'd have to be nuts to bring him back. Honestly if Goeddel was brought in though the result may have been the same, someone probably goes deep that inning. I didn't like the decision to pitch to Judge in the 6th either. I would have just put him on. Sanchez to me is just not as big a threat to hit the ball out and I would let him beat me every time if I had to

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I realize that. Half a season, let's wait until he repeats before annoiting him a superstar. It'd be like me calling Judge a superstar.

He strikes out too much for sure. Conforto at this point I assume is going to be pretty good. I'm not totally sure his wrist wasn't bothering him more than he led on last year and that was a big reason for the down season

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I realize that. Half a season, let's wait until he repeats before annoiting him a superstar. It'd be like me calling Judge a superstar.

Maybe he's not a superstar, but he's an all-star caliber player. He was very good his first season, and has been misused by Collins up until this season where Collins couldn't really afford to misuse him anymore.

Also, Judge is very good, maybe he is a superstar, maybe not, but if you don't think people have claimed he's a superstar, I don't think you've been paying attention. I was watching a NY Sports show right after the all-star break where the panelists thought Judge was the face of baseball, not just the Yankees or NY Sports, but the whole sport of baseball.

I don't think we really need to make a big deal if Conforto is a star or a superstar. He's one of the Mets best players, and a likely perennial all-star.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Maybe he's not a superstar, but he's an all-star caliber player. He was very good his first season, and has been misused by Collins up until this season where Collins couldn't really afford to misuse him anymore.

Also, Judge is very good, maybe he is a superstar, maybe not, but if you don't think people have claimed he's a superstar, I don't think you've been paying attention. I was watching a NY Sports show right after the all-star break where the panelists thought Judge was the face of baseball, not just the Yankees or NY Sports, but the whole sport of baseball.

I don't think we really need to make a big deal if Conforto is a star or a superstar. He's one of the Mets best players, and a likely perennial all-star.

Oh off course people have claimed Judge to be a superstar. I don't agree with it. Trout, Harper, Bryant etc are superstars. Need to see more of a sample size. Bellinger falls into that Judge/Conforto group.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If Conforto can finish with a WAR around 4.5 that would be great. If they find a real CF and never make him play there again that will further boost that number. If he can then repeat that, he'll be a perennial AS-caliber player like we haven't had since Wright or Beltran. He'd definitely be a "star." IDK about superstar, but those are just labels and it doesn't really matter if he remains this productive.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Was talking to some friends: the beginning of the Mets downfall was when Paul Depodesta left for the Cleveland Browns. He's the "Izzy Stradlin" of the org (for those that don't get the reference, in Guns N Roses, Slash got all the headlines as the lead player kinda like Sandy, but Izzy was the songwriter aka substance guy).

Robles is barely an MLB pitcher at this point. For his own sake, hopefully he has a hot streak and can find a job with another club for next year.

I know it's super early, I'm just not impressed at all with Smith yet. He just doesn't have that IT factor that Conforto or Rosario have. He really should find the MLB equivalent of Gary Roberts/Ben Prentis to work on his nutrition over the winter.

I really don't want to see TDA back. We see it with every team in every league, sometimes players, even young have 1-2 brilliant years and can never repeat it. I always think of Joe Juneau in the NHL. TDA had a good 1/2 season in 2015 when he was healthy, but has never recaptured that magic.

If the Mets didn't have black holes both offensively and defensively at C and 3B, despite the pitching injuries, they'd probably be about .500.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I was never a Duda guy, but fans seeing it as a positive that we traded Duda and replaced him with Domino's Smith... I just don't understand that.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I was never a Duda guy, but fans seeing it as a positive that we traded Duda and replaced him with Domino's Smith... I just don't understand that.

Duda's not part of the future. What you see is what you get. He's very streaky. He started hot with TB and has cooled off. He's a 1980s power hitter-lite.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Duda's not part of the future. What you see is what you get. He's very streaky. He started hot with TB and has cooled off. He's a 1980s power hitter-lite.

And that's fine, I understand not bringing him back.. and like I said I was never a fan.. what I don't get is how fans post our projected lineup next year with Smith at 1st and Lagares in the OF and say its a better team.. it's not..

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Duda is massively underrated offensively.

29th best wRC+ in the league over the past 3 calendar years min 1000 PA.
46th over the past 2 min 600 PA.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Yankees bullpen was in prime form last night. Kept the Yankees in the game and ultimately allowed them to take the lead. Mets have the advantage tonight with deGrom. Need a big start from Sonny Gray.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yeah, I know it's early, but I'm not impressed with Smith. I welcome the opportunity to be wrong, but I can't pin my hopes on him.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Yeah, I know it's early, but I'm not impressed with Smith. I welcome the opportunity to be wrong, but I can't pin my hopes on him.

He took a big step in his training this past winter. He did the Kevin Hayes (lost 20lbs) and I believe it has helped. He's going to get stronger and leaner. I'm sure the goal is to cut another 10-15lbs this offseason, while adding muscle. The Mets website has him at 6'0 239lb, which is too much. He was playing in the minors last season at 260lb. To compare, Aaron Judge is 6'7 280lb. Smith was 7 inches shorter and only 20lbs lighter just a year ago.

Cespedes is 5'10 220lb. Smith needs to get near 220lb. Another 10-15lb this offseason would be a good start.

Rosario struggled his first few games as well. Smith needs to keep playing. He's 22, and just recently turned 22. Same age as Conforto when he came up, but unlike Conforto, his bat isn't as good upon arrival.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
You could see immediately with both Conforto and Rosario the skill level. I don't see the same from Smith. Again, prove me wrong, but I don't have the same excitement for Smith I do for Conforto and Rosario.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
You could see immediately with both Conforto and Rosario the skill level. I don't see the same from Smith. Again, prove me wrong, but I don't have the same excitement for Smith I do for Conforto and Rosario.

Smith seems like he could really benefit from an intensive offseason workout regiment to get a little bit more agile.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm listening to Joe and Evan, and I think they are missing the point about the recent Met deals. Yes, I'd like to get better returns, this team needs to see what their young players can do. They need to see what they have in a player like Nmmo, so I need to see Granderson moved. The problem is the manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad