OT: MLB Thread Part XIV: Only One New York Team Matters :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sorry I stopped reading when I saw the term batting average.

Then I started again and stopped when I saw the phrase "a month later"

It's funny though that you say you're not concerned with "All these stats [I'm] throwing out" when in my last post I referenced zero stats and in the post before I mentioned just his UZR ranking.

You edited your post. Pretty sure I saw references to WAR a few times.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Get Bird back and they're set 1 through 9. Chase Headley is an elite #9 hitter.

Pitching has been amazing too. I'm not really sure if they need to go in as buyers. Stick with their guys unless there is an offer that can't be refused (ie dumping Ellsbury and his salary).

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013

Kinda crazy, I mean they were talking about it earlier in the game, but Sanchez and Judge are a disgusting duo. Just disrespectful and contemptuous. Two guys that can absolutely rake. It's gonna be a scary 10 years with them hopefully.

Last edited:

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Get Bird back and they're set 1 through 9. Chase Headley is an elite #9 hitter.

Pitching has been amazing too. I'm not really sure if they need to go in as buyers. Stick with their guys unless there is an offer that can't be refused (ie dumping Ellsbury and his salary).

Yankees still need some starting pitching I feel and maybe another arm in the pen. They're a good team, but there's something about them that doesn't give me much confidence going into the postseason, assuming they make it of course. I feel like they're gonna need another season or two of seasoning, I mean they are very young. Would love for them to make it as a division leader and for the younger guys to get a taste of the pressure that comes in a playoff series.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yankees still need some starting pitching I feel and maybe another arm in the pen. They're a good team, but there's something about them that doesn't give me much confidence going into the postseason, assuming they make it of course. I feel like they're gonna need another season or two of seasoning, I mean they are very young. Would love for them to make it as a division leader and for the younger guys to get a taste of the pressure that comes in a playoff series.
Would've agreed with this before the season, but Seva, CC, Pineda, Montgomery and Tanaka seems like a good rotation with depth. Green and Cessa are adequate spot-start arms as well as proven last year.

Bullpen is among the best in the majors, but I agree I would like one more late inning LHP as well.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Would've agreed with this before the season, but Seva, CC, Pineda, Montgomery and Tanaka seems like a good rotation with depth. Green and Cessa are adequate spot-start arms as well as proven last year.

Bullpen is among the best in the majors, but I agree I would like one more late inning LHP as well.

Chance Adams and Tyler Webb..

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They with out a doubt need another reliever. I have little faith in Warren and even less in Clippard in important games.

I'm less worried about Headley's bat and more so with the defense. I'm not behind forcing Torres into that spot either. An upgrade there is necessary if they want a chance to do anything this year but we'll see where this team is at the end of July.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Went to the games in Atlanta this weekend. SunTrust Park is beautiful, definitely nicer than the other parks I've visited such as CBP and Nats Park.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm less worried about Headley's bat and more so with the defense. I'm not behind forcing Torres into that spot either. An upgrade there is necessary if they want a chance to do anything this year but we'll see where this team is at the end of July.

I dunno man, I think it's finding problems out of nothing. He's still an MLB average 3B who went through a horrendous slump in May. He is not overpaid and is signed for the perfect short term contract (ie, let him walk to sign Machado if they want).

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I dunno man, I think it's finding problems out of nothing. He's still an MLB average 3B who went through a horrendous slump in May. He is not overpaid and is signed for the perfect short term contract (ie, let him walk to sign Machado if they want).

Again I'm not overly worried with his bat which has been pretty bad lately but if hes given the AB's I'm confident that he'll work his way though it to some extent.

Bouncing balls to 1st on the regular won't fly though. He's been horrendous defensively.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
is it my imagination and I'm living in an alternative universe but did Mets actually sweep a doubleheader?...lol

In all seriousness, when was last time Metsies swept a doubelheader? For some reason I'm going to say at least a decade...hah

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

If the number of errors he throws are considered part of being an 'average' 3rd baseman in the MLB, then I'm a friggin All Star. He is a defensive liability with zero upside to counter it offensively right now. I'm on the Torres Train. It's not the bat I'm worried about, we have plenty of those. But the D side needs to be fixed ASAP and Torres has got to be better than Headley right now.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lets see what happens. I think there's a good chance I might be right here. I've heard others suggest it as well.

Hes taken a majority of his reps at 3b this year and here are a list of guys who should be taken ahead of him (off the top of my head, there may be more):

Kris Bryant
Nolan Arenado
Justin Turner
Jake Lamb
Anthony Rendon

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yankees will pick up a reliever by the deadline. Can't imagine much else barring injury.

They could go for a SP if Tanaka doesn't bounce back.. maybe rent one.. don't know who tho..

Then again, Severino is becoming the ace of the Yankees, and Pineda, Montgomery and Sabathia have all pitched extremely well.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If the number of errors he throws are considered part of being an 'average' 3rd baseman in the MLB, then I'm a friggin All Star. He is a defensive liability with zero upside to counter it offensively right now. I'm on the Torres Train. It's not the bat I'm worried about, we have plenty of those. But the D side needs to be fixed ASAP and Torres has got to be better than Headley right now.
I think his defensive 'issue's are overstated; ie the sheer number of errors is misleading.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
They're not.

He simply can't throw the ball to 1st with any regularity. He's lucky that he doesn't have more errors.

His defensive rankings are still average for 3B in the league. Heck, he's 12th in the league in UZR, 15th in DRS, 13th in RZR, etc. Every statistic out there except errors, he's decent at.

It doesn't help that he's had a defensive blackhole (Carter) at 1B all year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
His defensive rankings are still average for 3B in the league. Heck, he's 12th in the league in UZR, 15th in DRS, 13th in RZR, etc. Every statistic out there except errors, he's decent at.

It doesn't help that he's had a defensive blackhole (Carter) at 1B all year.

He's actually done a pretty good job at making the tough play this year, those haven't been the issue.

He can't throw the ball. Carters no gold glover, but he has saved him at least a half dozen (if not more) E's on simple throws. He bounces a ton of balls over to 1st that actually do get scooped up.

These plays matter, ask the Mets how they feel about their infielders being able to make simple throws.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He's actually done a pretty good job at making the tough play this year, those haven't been the issue.

He can't throw the ball. Carters no gold glover, but he has saved him at least a half dozen (if not more) E's on simple throws. He bounces a ton of balls over to 1st that actually do get scooped up.

These plays matter, ask the Mets how they feel about their infielders being able to make simple throws.

I would take good range + a lot of errors over bad range + no attempts on tough balls made. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad