OT: MLB Thread Part X: Mets fans elated, Yanks fans depressed; just about the same record

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
As long as he was in the organization prior to 9/1 he is eligible. That's it. He can be on the roster.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We should have been in on the Donaldson talks, but no we had to extend Chase Headcheese so he could strike out 400 times and make 99 errors.

*Bob Richards*

Rough start for Severino. That Blue Jays offense is ridiculous though.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
We should have been in on the Donaldson talks, but no we had to extend Chase Headcheese so he could strike out 400 times and make 99 errors.

Yes they should've. Too bad Beane shopped him to only one team and the Jays reaped that rewards for that.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Recent article by Larry Brooks sums it up greatly:

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwj1xsOSlvDHAhWDth4KHd4TCO4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnypost.com%2F2015%2F09%2F07%2Fa-great-yankees-pennant-race-and-ny-doesnt-seem-to-care%2F&usg=AFQjCNFwW5ySyr1Qpz_PZQBnrT5cSb6MEw&sig2=NS1bOt6ucwQSIwRyqVma7g

The Yanks who have been in first most of the season, leading the wild card, have been getting absolutely no buzz at all.
Crowds this week, the paid attendance was just over 30, but in reality it was maybe the low 20s, and it was dead quiet.
Tonight, against the Jays, there are 5-10K Jays fans there and still thousands of empty seats.

Their ratings are very mediocre, there is little coverage of them on sports radio, and even on message boards.

Why do I post this here? Because the next time somebody tries to say that New York isn't a good hockey town, that Rangers ratings, attendance, or media coverage is subpar, I want this to be on record. By that logic, New York is a horrible baseball town if a 27 time champion in a market of 20 million that has not had a losing season since 1993 can't get excited in a pennant race.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
As long as he was in the organization prior to 9/1 he is eligible. That's it. He can be on the roster.

As far as I know a player has to be on the 25 man MLB roster or DL on midnight 8/31. Someone in the organization can replace someone who goes on the DL though.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Recent article by Larry Brooks sums it up greatly:

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwj1xsOSlvDHAhWDth4KHd4TCO4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnypost.com%2F2015%2F09%2F07%2Fa-great-yankees-pennant-race-and-ny-doesnt-seem-to-care%2F&usg=AFQjCNFwW5ySyr1Qpz_PZQBnrT5cSb6MEw&sig2=NS1bOt6ucwQSIwRyqVma7g

The Yanks who have been in first most of the season, leading the wild card, have been getting absolutely no buzz at all.
Crowds this week, the paid attendance was just over 30, but in reality it was maybe the low 20s, and it was dead quiet.
Tonight, against the Jays, there are 5-10K Jays fans there and still thousands of empty seats.

Their ratings are very mediocre, there is little coverage of them on sports radio, and even on message boards.

Why do I post this here? Because the next time somebody tries to say that New York isn't a good hockey town, that Rangers ratings, attendance, or media coverage is subpar, I want this to be on record. By that logic, New York is a horrible baseball town if a 27 time champion in a market of 20 million that has not had a losing season since 1993 can't get excited in a pennant race.

Look, as a Mets fan returning to baseball after years of not paying attention, it doesn't seem to me that there's a single interesting story going on with the Yanks. Outside of them winning games, what is there to be excited about on that team?

And there's always the idea that after having good teams for so long, Yankees fans and the media don't appreciate what they have.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Look, as a Mets fan returning to baseball after years of not paying attention, it doesn't seem to me that there's a single interesting story going on with the Yanks. Outside of them winning games, what is there to be excited about on that team?

And there's always the idea that after having good teams for so long, Yankees fans and the media don't appreciate what they have.

Pretty much. Francesa talked about it the other day. High ticket prices + so many different events going on + boring team for the most part + no big names like in the past (outside of A-Rod) and you gt the crowds they've gotten in a pennant race. If the Mets had been as good as they are for the past 5 years as they are now they wouldn't be getting the same buzz either I don't think.

And I don't mean that as a knock on the Yankees but it's just the way I see it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The problem is, just being a wildcard team and above .500 has become a disappointing season for the Yankees. That's why I made the thread title. It was kind of a joke, but it's real.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
It's also that there are so many games (I really wish they reduced it to 150 and included more playoff teams) and it has become much easier to watch games on TV or on MLB.tv.

*Bob Richards*

We all knew Yoenis was good but did anyone expect this? Talk about hitting hot.

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
We all knew Yoenis was good but did anyone expect this? Talk about hitting hot.
I have never seen a mid season acquisition perform this well on any of my teams ever. Cespedes has been maybe the best player in the league since joining the Mets. It is insane. Did not expect it one bit.

*Bob Richards*

I have never seen a mid season acquisition perform this well on any of my teams ever. Cespedes has been maybe the best player in the league since joining the Mets. It is insane. Did not expect it one bit.

Reminds me of when the Yankees reacquired Soriano who drove in every single run for basically the rest of the season rofl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad