OT: MLB Thread Part V: Wheeling and dealing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Hope Rothschild can help Eovaldi generate more strikeouts, he seems to do it with everyone else. This team is getting younger, that's for sure.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Might be looking at this in a year or two. Maybe..

cf ellsbury
lf gardner
c mccann
dh beltran
rf judge
1b bird/teixeira
3b moncada
2b refsnyder
ss gregorious

tanaka
pineda
severino
eovaldi
nova/banuelos

Release CC and Aroid.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Yankees getting younger and more athletic and in 2 years could have serious money off the books for flexibility... I like it, now let's hope they cap off this mini rebuild with Moncada

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Would've liked to get Myers but it is what it is.

Sandy SHOULD be looking for proven talent, not guys like Myers. Can't fault him for the way he's handled anything this off-season. Mets fans are crying that Sandy hasn't done anything like the new dude in San Diego but the Mets are not in as dire a position-- if the Mets could upgrade SS they could be a competitive team. If David Wright can stay healthy and rebound for a 4-5 WAR season and Harvey can come back and pitch like he did, the Mets WILL compete. I'm afraid of giving up Noah for Tulo, but Tulo instantly makes the Mets a favorite for the WC.

If Wright is healthy the Mets will be fun to watch this season anyway, IMO.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yankees getting younger and more athletic and in 2 years could have serious money off the books for flexibility... I like it, now let's hope they cap off this mini rebuild with Moncada

Moncada hopefully this year and then they'll sign Heyward/Upton/Gordon next year to complete the team to replace Beltran. Should begin competing for WS titles for the next decade or so again.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Mets trade Gonzalez Germen to the Yankees for cash. I like the move for the Yankees. He can replace Phelps in the bullpen.

@AdamRubinESPN

#Mets trade Gonzalez Germen, who had been designated for assignment. Headed to #Yankees for cash.

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
Eovaldi's two biggest issues were he didn't throw his fastball out of the zone enough, and didn't get enough called strikes due to poor pitch framing by his catchers. Rothschild and McCann will do wonders for this kid. I wouldn't be surprised if Rothschild suggested they go after Eovaldi since this is exactly the type of pitcher he usually elevates.

I love this deal for the Yankees, even before you include German who looks like Severino-lite. It's amazing how much talented young pitching the New York teams have right now.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That's true on pitch framing in regards to Eovaldi. Fangraphs had a good article on it. Eovaldi almost halved his walk rate last season. FIP is a better indication of a pitchers performance and Eovaldi's FIP was a full point lower than his ERA. Eovaldi pitched like a solid #3 last season and is only 25 so he still has ways to go. Then again with Tanaka and Pineda the Yanks are perfectly happy with him being a #3.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So we traded for Germen and German today lol.

Any Mets fan want to chime in on Germen?

He has a really good changeup, but nothing else. Walks too many guys. If he developed a consistent third pitch he'd be a good reliever.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
My point is probably a weak one, but the best way I can say it is: I see a ton of guys being traded. That makes me think there are other trades to be made, other players that may be available. I can't name names. We don't know who is available, but who would have thought that Josh Donaldson would be traded this offseason? Or Myers? Obviously Donaldson not a fit here, but it just makes me think who else around baseball could be had if the Mets were willing to give some pitching.

Like you have said, its not all Sandy's fault and I need to realize that more. The Wilpons are obviously not helping matters here.

Just want something more.

Sometimes the best move is to not make one. Myers would've taken a gigantic prospect haul there is a growing sentiment around baseball that his strikeout problems might be unfixable: http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...l-myers-flaws-trade-rays-royals-padres-121714

I understand the desire for improvements but bats are incredibly difficult to come by right now and the last thing you want them to do is shoot themselves in the foot with a bad trade.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Please don't compare the Mets young pitching with what the Yankees have they are on different levels and its not even close

Eovaldi's two biggest issues were he didn't throw his fastball out of the zone enough, and didn't get enough called strikes due to poor pitch framing by his catchers. Rothschild and McCann will do wonders for this kid. I wouldn't be surprised if Rothschild suggested they go after Eovaldi since this is exactly the type of pitcher he usually elevates.

I love this deal for the Yankees, even before you include German who looks like Severino-lite. It's amazing how much talented young pitching the New York teams have right now.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
I'd stay away from Tulowitzki. He's a great hitter, but you don't trade a top pitching prospect for a 30 year old who just had hip surgery and is owed $118 million over the next 6 years. 30 isn't old, but for a guy who gets injured as often as he does, it's only gonna get worse from here on out. Too risky IMO. Plus I think Syndergaard is the real deal.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He has a really good changeup, but nothing else. Walks too many guys. If he developed a consistent third pitch he'd be a good reliever.

Germen has talent, but he had trouble keeping his HR's down in Citi. I can't imagine that'll be easier to do in Yankee Stadium.

Thanks. :)

Well, he has talent. And relief pitchers are a total crapshoot. Would not be surprised to see him emerge as a solid arm. Would also not be surprised to see him sucking.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Thanks. :)

Well, he has talent. And relief pitchers are a total crapshoot. Would not be surprised to see him emerge as a solid arm. Would also not be surprised to see him sucking.

Yep, congratulations on successfully describing every relief pitcher.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Maybe Cashman's BOLD move?

10:31pm: With the posting fee bids submitted for infielder Jung-ho Kang, the KBO’s Nexen Heroes are expected to accept an approximately $5MM bid for the right to negotiate a contract with the Korean star, as the Yonhap News Agency reports (Twitter link via Jeeho Yoo; Korean-language article, via Sun-Min Kim, on Twitter).

Per the article, Kang is seeking between $5MM and $6MM per season on a multi-year deal of up to four years in duration.

Kang, 27, raised eyebrows with a 40 home run/1.198 OPS campaign last year. The star shortstop has been a productive hitter for some time now, but that impressive power display certainly raised his profile.

Maybe they platoon this guy at 2B with one of the rooks that make it.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Can we talk about the craziness going on with the California teams? San Diego, LA, and Oakland have been part of just about every single move this offseason.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not a fan of the Eovaldi deal. It's easy to fall in love with a guy who's 24 and throws 95 MPH but he's around a few years now and has done absolutely nothing.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Not a fan of the Eovaldi deal. It's easy to fall in love with a guy who's 24 and throws 95 MPH but he's around a few years now and has done absolutely nothing.

He's already a serviceable number three type and he has the potential to get better. As a Yankee hater, I dislike the deal.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Can we talk about the craziness going on with the California teams? San Diego, LA, and Oakland have been part of just about every single move this offseason.

San Diego was having a great offseason until they acquired Kemp. He cant play CF. Padres should've filled CF internally and spent that money on pitching.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
San Diego was having a great offseason until they acquired Kemp. He cant play CF. Padres should've filled CF internally and spent that money on pitching.

Kemp can't play the outfield period. Ideally, he's a DH, but in the NL they should look into moving him to first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad