OT: MLB Thread 2024

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Everyone dogs on the NHL, but have they ever opened up the season at 3am local time with their biggest stars?
The MLB has a major success rate opening the season in other countries, at least with gaining new fans.

I remember as a kid, I want to say the Mets opened in Japan? And my brother, my dad, and I watched the game at like 5 am or whatever it was, and then let me take off from school so I can go back to sleep after.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Current MLB precedent is:

Betting on non-MLB sports though legal bookie: No penalty
Betting on non-MLB sports though illegal
bookie: Monetary penalty
Betting on other MLB games: One year ban
Betting on your own MLB games: Permanent ban

The wire fraud issue is the DOJ’s domain. His lawyers will argue the DOJ can’t prove he authorized the wires, and that in any event it’s a victimless technical crime that the public doesn’t care about at all. I suspect the DOJ piece will be resolved for an undisclosed monetary penalty, without any jail time or immigration status repercussions.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023

Ohtani can say what he wants, but how did his interpreter access his $ millions.
Gotta understand that this guy has been in a baseball incubator since the age of like 8. He has been surrounded by people that have catered to every single need of his that didn't include actually playing in baseball games. He likely does not know how to perform a number of basic life functions, like shopping or groceries, getting his dry cleaning done, cleaning his bathroom.....even cooking for himself. It's not a huge jump to think that extended to people paying his bills for him and that would entail having access to his financial accounts and authentication protocols for things like wire transfers. Dude might not even know how to turn on a television set or work in a Windows PC environment. Who knows.

I'd bet that there are a number of wealthy individuals out there in any number of professions that are similarly situated.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
... I'd bet that there are a number of wealthy individuals out there in any number of professions that are similarly situated.
This is a nice fairy tale, but the almost billionaire gave his close friend access to the $ so his close friend wouldn't be killed by loan sharks over a $4.5M debt. He didn't deny that and even refused to answer questions in Japanese.

Japanese people his age and younger understand some English. Research it. When you are an international celebrity, have that kind of wealth, are not a US citizen, and pretend you don't understand any English, it's easy to hide behind the kind of elite, world class attorneys he can easily afford.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Gotta understand that this guy has been in a baseball incubator since the age of like 8. He has been surrounded by people that have catered to every single need of his that didn't include actually playing in baseball games. He likely does not know how to perform a number of basic life functions, like shopping or groceries, getting his dry cleaning done, cleaning his bathroom.....even cooking for himself. It's not a huge jump to think that extended to people paying his bills for him and that would entail having access to his financial accounts and authentication protocols for things like wire transfers. Dude might not even know how to turn on a television set or work in a Windows PC environment. Who knows.

I'd bet that there are a number of wealthy individuals out there in any number of professions that are similarly situated.
Do you have to personally sign for a wire yourself?

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Do you have to personally sign for a wire yourself?
No you do not. Bank typically requires multi-factor authentication usually a manual password plus a random number generator on a key fob. Ohtani could have just given the access to Mizuhara and told the institution that Mizuhara was a signatory/proxy.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
No you do not. Bank typically requires multi-factor authentication usually a manual password plus a random number generator on a key fob. Ohtani could have just given the access to Mizuhara and told the institution that Mizuhara was a signatory/proxy.
You don’t know and neither do I. Everything is on the table right now including outright ignorance/stupidity.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Interesting. Never heard of the key fob deal. I just did a wire last week. I had to sign for mine. Guess there are other options.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I think the simplest explanation is that Ohtani’s original story is the truth. His interpreter was in gambling debt and he did a favor and paid it off. He only changed that story after his lawyers presumably told him it was a technical violation of wire fraud. The one thing I’m still struggling with is, how does his interpreter rack up such a high debt? A bookie would never extend that much credit to someone unless they have high net worth.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
Interesting. Never heard of the key fob deal. I just did a wire last week. I had to sign for mine. Guess there are other options.
It is largely dependent on the type of account as well.

For example, a regular person with a normal checking account would probably have to sign in person as per your anecdote. I checked with my bank earlier and this would be the case for me as well.

Commercial accounts are really where you start to find enhanced protection such as MFA which I described above, and where I've largely encountered that level of security.

For high net worth individuals, that's a whole different world. Protections on their banking and/or securities accounts will typically be tailored to the individual as the bank there (as long as KYC rules are satisfied) is primarily looking to solidify the relationship and will work with the client.

If I had to proffer a guess I would say that Ohtani perhaps had this sort of setup such that the interpreter was authorized to access and transact through one or more of his accounts. Who knows, but I stand by what I wrote earlier that I just don't think he has much going on in his life outside of baseball-when you're that influential and making that much money it's pretty much normal course of business that others will do things for you, if not the expected. Probably most of his day to day outside his job as a ballplayer is administered by his agent, Naz Balelo.

He does understand some English, yes, but that does not mean that he understands or understood how to navigate life in the U.S. This was a rude introduction.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickyFotiu

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Cortes settled in. They’ll be fine. Should be up 10-4 with some clutch hits. Cole down hurts but you can’t have 5 starters all making at or close to $30M/yr. Have to have some kind of openings for the arms on the way.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
This rotation was already questionable with Cole, now it's just a dumpster fire.
Agreed. They were one SP short with Cole and now they're two SPs short and didn't try to sign Snell or Montgomery.

Ohtani's former interpreter is the next Professor X. He was able to access $4.5M w/o Ohtani telling him any passwords.

I've seen kids say Bonds was a HoFer before he cheated. He played seven years (and averaged 25 HRs per year). There are no HoFers who played seven years.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Only MFA is needed generally for new receivers (Chase is a one-time MFA for new recipients for example).

FWIW, I find the whole thing fishy and I find it unlikely that Ohtani is not involved.

Reactions: CTTribe73

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad