MLB The Show 22 (PS4, PS5, Xbox 1, Xbox Series X/S, Switch)

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
from what I remember, early access was ok. it was the real launch that was horrible

Thanks, couldn't remember but now that I check I have the regular version of 21 so I must have not had early access. I just remember not being able to play Diamond Dynasty for a few solid days.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Team affinity and inning programs are gone apparently. Replaced with some weird hybrid model.

You will only be able to earn 12 of the 30 face of the franchise cards. 6 you'll be able to select, the other 6 you will be given at random. the other 18 you will have to buy.

Devil's advocate; this COULD be a good thing for a couple of reasons;

- increase lineup variety and makes shit like BR/WS/collection rewards relevant since those cards might get more play. Free shit is cool but by time team affinity 3 dropped the game tanked in fun factor because literally everyone had DeGrom, Soto and a bunch of other anti-fun cards. or after TA4 literally everyone running some combination of the same like, 12 cards. P

- SDS has always been good about making time gated cards more available later down the road. 42 cards went from "expensive as shit" to the game basically vomiting them out in every map, program and event.

- the grind became a grind for the sake of grinding later into the game's life. With so many 99 cards it kinda got to a point where it was like "why?"

Verdict: I don't hate it? i definitely get people's concern since this looks like a less than clever attempt to drive sales of stubs. At the same time power creep absolutely needed to be reigned in, i'm just not sure this is the way to do it.

Sep 19, 2008
wonder if the ps4 / 5 versions are the same game or they pulled their different game shit again

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Game still runs like complete trash on Xbox using elite/regular series controllers.

How they didn't fix the PCI lag/input delay on pinpoint mistifies me. Wired controllers work fine but come the hell on.

I don't get my physical copy of the MVP version for PS5 until Wednesday

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Game still runs like complete trash on Xbox using elite/regular series controllers.

How they didn't fix the PCI lag/input delay on pinpoint mistifies me. Wired controllers work fine but come the hell on.

I don't get my physical copy of the MVP version for PS5 until Wednesday
Ya, this is the reason I decided to buy the game on PS5 instead of using it on Xbox with Gamepass.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Lot of the collection rewards are super underwhelming just based on name value. Love the idea of shelling out over 100k for the Jays collection to get shitty ass Tom Henke.

Beat bang for your buck ones I've seen:

Boston: Youkilis is a really good early game card (80s across the board for hitting outside of power against righties) and the Sox collection only has Sale as a diamond so that one should be cheap.

Tampa: Breakout Jose Alvarado with outlier fastball? Filfthy early game reliever at a stupidly cheap cost since I believe Glasnow is the only Diamond Tampa has.

Oakland: Fingers usually plays above his stats and the As collection costs like 5k lol.

As for the face of the franchise cards I like they give you the randomly picked one first. People are bitching but at least you can adjust who you want to take on the fly depending on what the game throws at you.

For me I'm hoping to take Seger or Trout/Franco/Clase/Reynolds/Acuna/Webb. Outfield is the one spot where I don't need a ton of help since I pulled a Harper out of one of my preorder packs.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
What pitching settings do you guys use for online play? What camera?

I'm used to meter from the olden days but it also seems really hard to get the timing right. I tried analog but it seems like even when I get everything correct the ball doesn't go where I want it to.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
What pitching settings do you guys use for online play? What camera?

I'm used to meter from the olden days but it also seems really hard to get the timing right. I tried analog but it seems like even when I get everything correct the ball doesn't go where I want it to.
I use the strike zone camera with pinpoint. Pinpoint gets some getting used to but has the least rng and the most rewarding

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I use the strike zone camera with pinpoint. Pinpoint gets some getting used to but has the least rng and the most rewarding

I've been using pinpoint now and I like it but I don't completely understand it. It seems like sometimes the line I trace is all out of wack and bouncing everywhere yet the game will score it as 90%+ but other times I trace a perfect line and the game scores it 30% and says I went too fast. It feels like the rating is based more on how well you mimic the speed of the tracing than the actual path?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I've been using pinpoint now and I like it but I don't completely understand it. It seems like sometimes the line I trace is all out of wack and bouncing everywhere yet the game will score it as 90%+ but other times I trace a perfect line and the game scores it 30% and says I went too fast. It feels like the rating is based more on how well you mimic the speed of the tracing than the actual path?
Timing is definitely more important.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Got the first two FOTF packs. Ended up with Hanigar (third down the list of who I wanted, at least it's not Murphy lol) and Webb (the guy I actually wanted in the NL west) so not a bad start so far. I'm not sure who I want out of the other AL West pack. I kinda want Seager but then I realized I could probably pick Utley out of my preorder pack and then go trout?

Probably will keep chipping away at the US conquest map since I want to flip those prospects and get stubs so I can buy that Pujols and Sandoval card.

This is such a different game with pinpoint not being busted too.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I got lucky and got Trout with my first fotf pack. Will prob pick Seager for the other AL West. Grinding is def a lot different this year. Conquest is so much better with the sim times. I actually don't mind doing the big US map anymore.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The grind is only different because it's early access.

Once the full release happens I expect all the regular components (conquest map for XP, POTM, collections for XP) to return.

SDS seems hyper paranoid about power creep so they probably don't want the early access guys to get even more of an advantage.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
This year will be the first year of playing DD that I don't really care about the LS collection. I will eventually go after it because I'm sure it will be a good head start for other collections but not going to try for it as much as I used to.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah i'm not super amped on it either. Didn't really like Thomas last year because of the bigger strike zone, Clemente is eh and Randy is pretty underwhelming for a full collection considering last year got you Chipper and the year before that was Hornsby. Not to mention they screwed up his arm slot and delivery meaning he's not nearly as intimidating as he should be (thank christ)

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Just fired it up last night.

What's the best way to grind this year, conquest? Showdown?

My team is absolute ass lol I've opened like 14 packs got one gold no diamonds.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Just fired it up last night.

What's the best way to grind this year, conquest? Showdown?

My team is absolute ass lol I've opened like 14 packs got one gold no diamonds.
If you want packs, there is a really short conquest map that gives you five packs for conquering the three strongholds and it’s repeatable so you can just keep doing it. For XP, I think the best method is Road to the Show. Maxing out the different archetypes gives you a ton of XP, doesn’t take that long, and then you have a good player to plug into your lineup.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Is it too early to start flipping? The market has been dead as shit thus far.

I'm probably too early since I didn't start flipping until a couple weeks in last year iirc.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Is it too early to start flipping? The market has been dead as shit thus far.

I'm probably too early since I didn't start flipping until a couple weeks in last year iirc.
last year I didn't start flipping until new cards were released. I found everything else's margins to be so minor. With new cards, they get bought and sold way more quickly.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh right there's no live series updates/Topps now either. Durrrrr no wonder the market is dead.

There's a few of those FOTF cards I want to scoop up. Is it safe to assume they're going to come down even more? The only ones that seem to be holding steady are the ones people are holding on to (Trout, Seager) or the ones that no one wants (Kelly, Murphy, Realmuto)

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Oh right there's no live series updates/Topps now either. Durrrrr no wonder the market is dead.

There's a few of those FOTF cards I want to scoop up. Is it safe to assume they're going to come down even more? The only ones that seem to be holding steady are the ones people are holding on to (Trout, Seager) or the ones that no one wants (Kelly, Murphy, Realmuto)
Eventually I'm sure they will come down but I think they will rise until they become available through other means like conquest or other programs that reward these cards. hard to say really

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad