MLB The Show 17

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I'm short on tickets and SDS drops that amazing Rivero card on us in the Ticket Counter... but I can't afford it.

**** you SDS :cry:

I could get it easily but still passing. Got 10,000 tickets and counting but from what I remember last year when they put 99 players up for tickets they were 5000 each so waiting on that.

Also not the biggest on closers. Many of them their Inside Edge will jack them up to 95 plus and at that point I generally already won or lost the game.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I have no clue what happened with my RTTS Closer last night but I got stuck in an extra inning game where I had to pitch 15 innings and 200 pitches, eventually ended up taking the loss. Then my manager decides to pitch me the next day :laugh:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I still can't score runs in this game, and I still can't steal bases. I'm holding right on the left stick with L2, and it isn't going.

You don't have the hold it. If you hold L2 your guy will only steal when you release L2. If you just press right on the analog stick and tap L2, he'll leave when the pitcher starts his motion(relative to his stealing abilities.) A guy like Billy Hamilton or Lou Brock will usually get a much better jump than a slow first baseman for instance. Or you can try to time it yourself by holding L2 and letting go right when the pitcher starts his motion, but that's a bit tough to do and try to worry about hitting the ball. I usually just tap L2 and let the CPU control it. Also, if you just tap L2 without touching the analog stick all baserunners will attempt to steal(yes, even guys on third) so be careful.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
How do you do zone hitting? I been using directional hitting and been thinking about changing settings.

Zone hitting is much more realistic in my opinion. You move the left stick to where the pitch is.

And... I wasted a gem by Carlos Martinez since my offense is always god awful. I'm playing on the second easiest level as well, so...

11 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 19 K

Wasted.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Have they changed the hitting difficulty levels that much since 2015?

I've played every year of RTTS except for 2016. So I know the graphics/etc have improved a fair bit since 2015, but the 'physics' seem to be weird. I used to play all-star exclusively. Now in '17 rtts, I can't hit above .250 without being in rookie. Anything above that difficulty there's a whole lotta pop flies and super weak contact grounders (weaker grounders in this years version for sure) on balls im making great timing on. Maybe not good enough contact? Line drives to the gap stay in the air for so much longer aswell. Almost like they're playing in helium. To the point where they simply stay in the air long enough to be caught.

Anyways, just looking for some insight from guys who have use rtts over the years. Cheers.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Have they changed the hitting difficulty levels that much since 2015?

I've played every year of RTTS except for 2016. So I know the graphics/etc have improved a fair bit since 2015, but the 'physics' seem to be weird. I used to play all-star exclusively. Now in '17 rtts, I can't hit above .250 without being in rookie. Anything above that difficulty there's a whole lotta pop flies and super weak contact grounders (weaker grounders in this years version for sure) on balls im making great contact on. Maybe not good enough contact?

Anyways, just looking for some insight from guys who have use rtts over the years. Cheers.

That was one of the big changes in this year. Before in the previous years they had it set up where a round object (the ball) hit a flat surface (bat). Now they changed the physics to where a round object is hitting another round object. That is why is seems so different.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
That was one of the big changes in this year. Before in the previous years they had it set up where a round object (the ball) hit a flat surface (bat). Now they changed the physics to where a round object is hitting another round object. That is why is seems so different.

Hrm. I guess they felt they wanted to make it that much more realistic. I can tell already it's going to take a fair bit to re-master the game at the difficulty I want. Either that or switch hitting approaches (directional/zone/etc)

Thanks hc.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Yeah zone hitting is where it's at. I might not mash like previous years (although I switched to zone last year so I'm more used to it) but I feel way more in control of my destiny.

Any suggestions for a catcher? I could use my CAP but I hate doing that. Been using Diamond Lucroy but I think I've thrown out 1 base runner in easily 90 games with him. He's also my king of grounding into double plays.

That said I cannot recommend more finishing the Royals Team Epic for Lorenzo Cain. I've had him for 8 games now - batting .560 with 11 HRs, and 10 stolen bases. He's also Flash fast in CF. I'm sure he will come down to earth for me but I haven't gotten any player rated higher or lower that has been so incredible. It's more rare for me to go hitless with him than it is to hit 2 no doubt animation HRs with him in one game. And most are vs RHP let alone if I face LHP in the future where he's platooned.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I had a perfect game after 7 1/3 innings on Hall of Fame pitching difficulty last week (I have the adjusted difficulty on for my franchise) with Taijuan Walker (I did a fantasy draft). I lost 1-0.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Pitching is substantially easier than hitting in this game, and I suppose that's pretty realistic. The pitcher has all the advantages in baseball. It can certainly get frustrating though.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Pitching is substantially easier than hitting in this game, and I suppose that's pretty realistic. The pitcher has all the advantages in baseball. It can certainly get frustrating though.

It all depends on the way they play. If the batter keeps swinging at everything it is easy to throw junk and get lots of strikeout/weak hit. But if you are patient and work the count I find you will have alot more success. Most players online I find are free swingers, especially when they stack a line up and think they will hit homeruns every at bat. it isn't until you get up to the higher ranked players that you start seeing people really working the count. Personally I got by a 10 pitch rule. I want to see a minimum of 10 pitches before I get my 3 outs. I generally don't swing until I get 1 strike and even then I'll let a close one go for strike 2 if I think i have a chance of working their pitch count. I can generally chase their starter out of the game by the 5th or 6th inning by doing this.

Here is my question to you guys, what do you use for pitching? Meter or classic? I stick to classic.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I actually like classic too figured I was the only one. I'll switch to meter sometimes for more control but I find meter and analog start to give me carpal tunnel after a while of constant pitching.

Once the pitcher has some confidence control doesn't become as much of a problem. And online I find it actually works in my favor, people can't easily guess my pattern if I don't have total control over where it's going ha

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Another 3-4, 2 HR, 5 RBI and a SB game for AS Lorenzo Cain for me. I seriously don't think if I got Mike Trout out of a pack I would swap them out, this guy is perfect at everything.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Just unlocked Rookie Warren Spahn last night. Anyone get a chance to use him? If so, how did you like him? Haven't got a chance to use him yet.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
I don't like using Spahn simply because his wind up takes forever.

Love that there are new Conquest missions. Should be easy enough and end reward is 99 Joe Mauer.

Really wish they would turn power up a bit. Done 7 strongholds this afternoon and nothing even came close to going out. Need 2 HRs with all stars to complete that part of the program and nothing is coming close.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I actually like classic too figured I was the only one. I'll switch to meter sometimes for more control but I find meter and analog start to give me carpal tunnel after a while of constant pitching.

Once the pitcher has some confidence control doesn't become as much of a problem. And online I find it actually works in my favor, people can't easily guess my pattern if I don't have total control over where it's going ha

Right there with ya. I understand and appreciate the meter..but it's just not for me. All that button pressing and timing required is a bit overkill with the amount of pitches being thrown in a game.

Frustrating as hell if you have a weak control pitcher or if you're starting your career in rtts lol, but aside from that, randomness is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad