MLB returns April 7th

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
This is one thing that cant happen, they cant have a strike/lockout that forces them to miss games. The game is already fading.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Be interesting to see how the PA goes about it. Are the lower ranked players going to try to get more in their deals while they are in their 20’s or does the PA still focus on free agent deals and maximizing those. Which isn’t what teams are doing. Relying more on analytics which dictates not to pay players into their late 30’s.
30 year old free agents are not getting those monster deals til they turn 38 anymore. Teams are calling them off way earlier which is the smart move.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
What is each side cranky about?
Money as usual. In 2002, the players were getting 56% of revenue, now they're below 40%. The players are also frustrated by tanking teams that drag down salaries and service time manipulation. The owners offered a salary floor but with a lower luxury tax threshold and a higher free agency age. There's also been discussions of an international draft and expanded playoffs.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
What is each side cranky about?
Owners aren’t sharing their fair share of the rising revenue like they are in the nba and the players are pissed.

Then there’s service years before free agency and many other details they’re apart on.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Manfred has already shown contempt for everything about the game of baseball to this point

Why would he care about longterm of league/game? Short term $ victories are what he cares about not 10 years and beyond what shape league is in
He called the ultimate prize these teams play for a “piece of medal”. The tone deaf moron literally trivialized the thing Houston cheated for to spare Crane’s feelings.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He doesn’t seem to care as long as certain owners are taken care of.

Clearly. He let Crane and Henry off scot free for cheating.

Given he was Seligs deputy I didn't expect him to be some big change or a great commissioner, but the guy has just been awful. He strikes me as the guy who doesn't love the sport, its just a corporate CEO job like running Target or Home Depot.

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Clearly. He let Crane and Henry off scot free for cheating.

Given he was Seligs deputy I didn't expect him to be some big change or a great commissioner, but the guy has just been awful. He strikes me as the guy who doesn't love the sport, its just a corporate CEO job like running Target or Home Depot.
Way too many lawyer types running leagues right now.

Reactions: awegrzyn

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
After seeing the ratings, the entire sport needs to start over.
it's not really an entertaining matchup

atlanta isn't really a fun team to watch and no one likes the astros because they're cheaters. and on top of that, there are zero pitching matchups worth watching this series like there have been in past years. especially with the way starting pitchers have been phased out in favor of bullpen games. that's just not entertaining

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
He called the ultimate prize these teams play for a “piece of medal”. The tone deaf moron literally trivialized the thing Houston cheated for to spare Crane’s feelings.

Wait, is this true? I'm not saying your wrong but that is an abomination if true.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Yup he called it exactly that.

That is...really depressing. It is really depressing that the commissioner of Major League Baseball cares absolutely nothing about Major League Baseball.

And I'm digging your new avatar! And like you, I have egg on my face because I thought they should have drafted Sewell too! (though in full disclosure, a part of that is I wanted Chase to drop to my 'Fins)

the green teabagger avatar will probably come back eventually...when you least expect it. he keeps you on guard that way...:eek:

Reactions: PanthersPens62

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

atlanta isn't really a fun team to watch and no one likes the astros because they're cheaters. and on top of that, there are zero pitching matchups worth watching this series like there have been in past years. especially with the way starting pitchers have been phased out in favor of bullpen games. that's just not entertaining
Both aces are hurt, too.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Ratings have been declining for years. The median age of fans is like 55. The low ratings is just another reason. I agree with everything you said, but it's the World Series. Baseball needs a hard reset.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Ratings have been declining for years. The median age of fans is like 55. The low ratings is just another reason. I agree with everything you said, but it's the World Series. Baseball needs a hard reset.

Manfred would probably advocate for replacing the World Series with a home run derby or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad