MLB online package has no announcers option. NHL needs this.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I got the MLB online package for the first time this year and noted that they have a ‘’Park’ option for game audio. All announcers and anything to do with broadcaster audio is removed and all you hear is the sound of the ballpark.

Imagine this for the NHL season. No broadcasters and just the sound of the rink.

Do this NHL! Do eet.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Totally agreed. Particularly when it's Doc Emrick. I respect his ability but I just want to tune him out.

Does the NBC online stream have a camera angle option? Because the NFL side does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Master P

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Back when the NHL would have a couple weekly games on HDNet, they'd have a few minutes every game without announcers. Personally didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. They probably had to keep their eyes/ears on the on ice interactions. I suppose that audio could be fun.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I got the MLB online package for the first time this year and noted that they have a ‘’Park’ option for game audio. All announcers and anything to do with broadcaster audio is removed and all you hear is the sound of the ballpark.

Imagine this for the NHL season. No broadcasters and just the sound of the rink.

Do this NHL! Do eet.

About 20 years ago there was a fantastic year where the french CBC went on strike. Management was still about to put together the broadcasts but no commentary. It was beautiful.

Since the MLBTV and NHLTV stream services are both run by the same company then maybe it is possible we'll see this. My guess would be that the grubby NHL wouldn't do it though since it would mean when the pbp broadcasters narrate extra ads to the audience during short stoppages the stream audience would no longer hear about Enterprise car rental or the newest crapfest CBC shows.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
About 20 years ago there was a fantastic year where the french CBC went on strike. Management was still about to put together the broadcasts but no commentary. It was beautiful.

Since the MLBTV and NHLTV stream services are both run by the same company then maybe it is possible we'll see this. My guess would be that the grubby NHL wouldn't do it though since it would mean when the pbp broadcasters narrate extra ads to the audience during short stoppages the stream audience would no longer hear about Enterprise car rental or the newest crapfest CBC shows.

There are some not so conceptually difficult workarounds for them, i.e., casters flagging any content that is ad related to play over the park, but the question is whether they'd want to go to the trouble just to appease a small minority of us.

George Clooney

Jan 29, 2014
This would be great, as an option.

Sometime im doing something else while the game is on and appreciate the pbp crew. Sometime im 100% focused on the game and hate the small talk during the game.

Give us options!

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Came into the thread just to make a mute button joke but yeah, just rink noises would be cool. It'd be incredible if they dialed it up on the ice and ran a disclaimer about coarse language. The PA would never sign off on it but it'd be something they'd have over every sport.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
The MLB package also gives you the option of listening to the local radio broadcast synced up with the TV feed, which is cool if you prefer your local AM guys to the TV commentators.

I enjoy MLB.tv and I wish the NHL version was as good. Where I live (basically, North Jersey), the Flyers are blacked out on NHL.tv, so I've had to get Center Ice...even though there is no way to get local Philadelphia sports networks here, and on the MLB platform the Phillies aren't blacked out at all. NHL, man.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
In the early 80's NBC actually brodcast a Jets-Dolphins NFL game with no announcers (may have just been a half but I'm too lazy to look it up) and it was such a total disaster it was never tried again.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Being able to turn off Doc, Pierre, and company would be a f***ing game-changer for me.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I would also pay more for this.

NHL.TV needs to start showing games on NHL Network though. I'm not giving them any more money until they do that.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
They need to resolve their blackout issue first.
But yes, this would be a nice add. I only care for announcers when I'm multitasking. Watching the game while working on something else, the announcers then give it some context.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I'd like to be able to hear just the sounds of the rink but I can't imagine they'd be too keen on doing that with what the players would surely be saying.

Also wow, somehow managed to deteriorate the HF mobile experience even more

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
The MLB package also gives you the option of listening to the local radio broadcast synced up with the TV feed, which is cool if you prefer your local AM guys to the TV commentators.

I enjoy MLB.tv and I wish the NHL version was as good. Where I live (basically, North Jersey), the Flyers are blacked out on NHL.tv, so I've had to get Center Ice...even though there is no way to get local Philadelphia sports networks here, and on the MLB platform the Phillies aren't blacked out at all. NHL, man.

This would be sick. The flyers Radio crew are awesome. The tv crew.....ehhh not so much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad