MLB online package has no announcers option. NHL needs this.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I just want a nsfw broadcast it would be amazing lol imagine a sick save and the commentators just say WTF

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Would love it.

Anyone else see that awesome 'My guys are f***ing savages in that f***ing box' rant from Aaron Boone the other day?

That's because the of what the OP mentioned specifically. You can mute the commentators and turn on the Field Mics all the way up and catch some golden audio when a manager or player gets ejected. There's a YT channel that frequently does this and captures the audio without commentary.

Hockey is much more emotional than baseball, and there's a lot more cussing so you'd pick up a lot of dirty words.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I'd love it but it will prolly never happen. Just have to go to the games I guess

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I'm wondering why, in the age of digital broadcasts, I can't turn off the score with the click of a button. The broadcasters already integrate scoring services into your DVR.

Back in the day, so I'm told, they never showed you the score until you got to commercial so you wouldn't change the channel. Today they are so afraid you might think for yourself, they blast graphics everywhere instead of letting me watch my game.

This goes for arenas too where they no longer let you talk/listen between whistles.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I think a hockey game would sound pretty boring without commentators. The solution should be to find better ones.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Few years ago a flames feed had technical difficulties and had no commentary for the first period of a game. It was fantastic! Sounded like you were at the game live.

Also the commentators they had at the time were awful (Kerr and Simmer) so it was an extra bonus not to listen to them

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
In the early 80's NBC actually brodcast a Jets-Dolphins NFL game with no announcers (may have just been a half but I'm too lazy to look it up) and it was such a total disaster it was never tried again.
they should absolutely try it again
announcers back then were more valuable/useful
now we have tons of info on the screen, at our fingertips, dozens of cameras/angles, etc
the announcers used to deliver a lot of that info

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Not the same thing but all NBC games are on mute when I have to watch their feed

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I got the MLB online package for the first time this year and noted that they have a ‘’Park’ option for game audio. All announcers and anything to do with broadcaster audio is removed and all you hear is the sound of the ballpark.

Imagine this for the NHL season. No broadcasters and just the sound of the rink.

Do this NHL! Do eet.

Sorry no. Baseball sucks and it is nowhere near as fun as hockey

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
They need to resolve their blackout issue first.
But yes, this would be a nice add. I only care for announcers when I'm multitasking. Watching the game while working on something else, the announcers then give it some context.

Based off the latest regional broadcasting contracts, that won't be possible for years

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How about we start with no blackouts.

This is pretty much priority number 1. With how much the world is cutting cable the NHL could probably just take themselves off TV entirely and run their own streaming service and make more money. I'd rather pay $200/season for NHL than for my cable package which I pretty much only have because I'm blacked out on Gamecenter. Hell I'd probably pay $300 for the entire NHL season. It would save me at least $600 bucks a year.

Reactions: Hockey Crazy

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
God, they actually found a way to make baseball more boring.
I mean one of the most exciting and controversial things that's happened in recent years is a player tossing his bat differently after a home run.

Without announcers in baseball I'd be asleep in minutes

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Be careful what you wish for.

(the Kings & Ducks did this several years ago and it was a failure)

Don't understand this, how could it be a failure? MLB.tv has had this option for years. People who want it can choose it, people who don't want it can stick with the announcers. I'm unclear on how more choice can possibly be a failure.

Reactions: Faterson

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
God, they actually found a way to make baseball more boring.
I mean one of the most exciting and controversial things that's happened in recent years is a player tossing his bat differently after a home run.

Without announcers in baseball I'd be asleep in minutes
Yeah but when you have to listen to the Pirates announcers get red assed over stolen bases the entire game, you realize how nice it is to just hear baseball and crowd.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Don't understand this, how could it be a failure? MLB.tv has had this option for years. People who want it can choose it, people who don't want it can stick with the announcers. I'm unclear on how more choice can possibly be a failure.

Well for starters, the main thing you heard was skates cutting the ice - and that got old after 5 minutes. Checks along the boards were just a big thump, then quiet....

There are reasons that no teams are doing this now

unknownbrother

Apr 1, 2015
UK
I remember the BBC showing a few games without commentary during the Olympics and it just didn't sound right. Probably more to do with the feed the BBC was using but it needs to be done right.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This is something that a bunch of people claim they want because it's cool to hate on announcers, but they would get tired of it so quickly and switch back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad