OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
*whispers*

Harper isn't better than Stanton and will end up being more expensive.

*flees into the night*
I think Harper is the better defender and will be a better fit in Yankee Stadium and in the Yankees lineup as a left handed hitter.

EDIT: Also, Stanton is a Dodgers fan and Harper is a Yankees fan. Makes too much sense.

EDIT 2: Also frees up the DH for Andujar when Didi is healthy and Machado takes 3rd. If you keep Frazier, Harper is potentially an option at 1B (Stanton is not).

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not saying Bryce is a gold glover or anything but to call his 2018 season an outlier is a huge understatement.

His DRS/UZR/UZR150 were the worst of his career by a cartoonish margin.
This is fair, but Stanton rates as an excellent fielder. He's only a DH because the Yankees had four outfielders, three of whom are spectacular defenders.

The notion of Harper being an option in the field with Stanton being "just a DH" is the opposite of reality.

With Gardy turning like 69 this year, I'm expecting more of Stanton in the outfield, and hopefully more of Andujar at DH.

Of course, to pull that off, we'll have to employ more than two MLB infielders, which the Yankees don't seem overly concerned with. We'll still be waiting for that Greg Bird "bounce back" in 2030.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I think the Yankees get Mochado, but Harper is probably the guy who will do best here. He's a lefty, cocky and a great bat with runners in scoring position... we could use all three on this team

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Stanton rates above average defensively. Last season he was a plus defender, by far his best defensive season. Harper rates above average defensively. His last season is an outlier. If I had to pick one it's Stanton but it's extremely close.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Padres really enticed by Andujar, don't have MLB pitching to give the Yankees however. Maybe Cash goes for Tatis Jr. as long term player, sign Machado and trade for Profar.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Padres really enticed by Andujar, don't have MLB pitching to give the Yankees however. Maybe Cash goes for Tatis Jr. as long term player, sign Machado and trade for Profar.
They wouldn't include Tatis for Syndergaard. I know they like Andujar but you think they'd include him there? They've been chasing Thor for a few years, so if they won't give up Tatis for him it seems unlikely to me that they'd move him at all.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They wouldn't include Tatis for Syndergaard. I know they like Andujar but you think they'd include him there? They've been chasing Thor for a few years, so if they won't give up Tatis for him it seems unlikely to me that they'd move him at all.

Years of control are something to take into consideration here plus having an everyday player vs. a guy who is going to impact 30ish games a season.

They won't move Tatis for him though. I'd welcome such a trade, but they'd be insane to do it. Some of their other guys? Maybe.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

They won't trade Tatis for Andujar. Tatis and Gore are just about untouchable.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Years of control are something to take into consideration here plus having an everyday player vs. a guy who is going to impact 30ish games a season.

They won't move Tatis for him though. I'd welcome such a trade, but they'd be insane to do it. Some of their other guys? Maybe.
Yeah I mean I understand the contractual differences for sure. Still, it's not as if Thor is an impending UFA, he still has three years left.

Also I don't think the pitcher vs. position player difference is actually a difference, not for San Diego anyway with their hot diarrhea staff. They desperately could use a stud in the rotation like Syndergaard. Health is somewhat of a question with him, but assuming he's healthy he legitimately has the talent to be a top-ten pitcher.

I like Andujar a lot, but it seems hard for me to believe that if Thor can't fetch a particular prospect, Andujar could (unless a team had no need for pitching and a huge need for bats, maybe, but that's not SD for sure).

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I agree with him. I would never vote for any reliever for the hall of fame. I don’t really care how good they are in that role I have a major problem voting for anyone who is the best at a lesser role (reliever) because they weren’t good enough to play in the more important spot (starter). If the best relievers are hall of famers then why aren’t the best pinch hitters, best slot corners, or best third line centers? It’s essentially the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad