OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
rosario for jtr ? done. our #1 prospect is gimenez. no brainer.

if they insist on conforto or nimmo i pass and pursue grandal.

gimme a legit catcher and a healthy outfield and keep thor and im almost ok.

cesspool might be back in august

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Matthew Cerrone reporting that according to sources in Miami, the Marlins would be looking for Rosario and Gimenez in addition to a small third piece. f*** no

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Matthew Cerrone reporting that according to sources in Miami, the Marlins would be looking for Rosario and Gimenez in addition to a small third piece. **** no

That's a no for me then.

Sign Grandal or look at Ramos. Not much out there on FA beyond that.

Don't really see the need to go all in on a position where players very rarely play full seasons due to rest and injury.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't know that Cerrone has broken anything ever, but if that's true, it's an ehhhhh.... I'm okay moving Rosario, but Gimenez is the best of our thin system. He's not blue-chip, but he's really good. If you move him then you're down to Ronny Mauricio and Sherv Newton. Both have a ton of upside but are a long way out. I don't know. I'd rather go Grandal at that point.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I don't know that Cerrone has broken anything ever, but if that's true, it's an ehhhhh.... I'm okay moving Rosario, but Gimenez is the best of our thin system. He's not blue-chip, but he's really good. If you move him then you're down to Ronny Mauricio and Sherv Newton. Both have a ton of upside but are a long way out. I don't know. I'd rather go Grandal at that point.

Martino is saying league sources are saying the Mets are more willing to offer Conforto or Nimmo, (which is just stupid IMO), so who knows what the story is. I’ve also heard Conforto is close to untouchable. Too many conflicting reports.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Martino is saying league sources are saying the Mets are more willing to offer Conforto or Nimmo, (which is just stupid IMO), so who knows what the story is. I’ve also heard Conforto is close to untouchable. Too many conflicting reports.
Yeah it's hard to know. Seems like we used to have 3-4 national guys reporting on things and maybe 1-2 beat guys per team. Now there's like 20 guys filing reports.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Would love to have Kipnis. Lefty bat. Versatile in the field.

Would still want Harper or Machado.

Also:

Just no. Last resort.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Compensation system in baseball sucks. Trade your players before they hit free agency if you want value back, or hold onto them and risk losing them for nothing.

Not only did WSH make a huge risk financially, they lost their 2nd and 5th highest draft picks and bonus pool money.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Compensation system in baseball sucks. Trade your players before they hit free agency if you want value back, or hold onto them and risk losing them for nothing.

Not only did WSH make a huge risk financially, they lost their 2nd and 5th highest draft picks and bonus pool money.

I mean Arizona essentially got a 1st round pick for Corbin. Rounds 1-5 turn out some high end prospects.

But the compensation system for the team signing the free agent is dog shit

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah the system sucks. You'd think the players would fight it. Guy gets his shot at free agency finally so he turns down his QO. Now he's suddenly less attractive to many teams since a lot don't want to give up that compensation. It's dumb. I have no problem with compensatory picks for teams that lose good guys, but the penalties the signing teams are subject to is stupid. Like, just add comp picks--no penalties. It's not like this is 1999 and only a very small handful of teams can sign high-profile free agents and we need to keep them in check; half the league can conceivably sign these big-time guys, if not more.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Arizona would probably give away Greinke for a longshot prospect just to free themselves of his finances

Reactions: ponzu4u

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Gimenez should stay. Rosario I really like, but he's the only guy I'm (semi-reluctantly) willing to part with for Realmuto. Both of them is ridiculous and leaves us with a gaping hole at SS long-term unless we sign Machado.

If they deal Nimmo or Conforto I'll be pissed and already done with BVW.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Youre not getting Realmuto in free agency. You dont have him your system. Dont say Grandal. Dont say Ramos. Those guys arent in the same stratosphere as Realmuto.

I get the reservations to move certain guys, but getting Realmuto is as important as your pitching staff. You are getting an All Star Catcher, Top 5 Catcher in this league, to handle the strongest part of your organization, your Starting Pitching Staff. And at a young age too.

Cmon.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
As a hitter they are basically identical. Grandal wRC+ last 3 years 125, 102, 121. Realmuto 126, 107, 111. Grandal has more power and patience. Realmuto has more speed/contact. Grandal is one of the best pitch framers in the league. Realmuto is below average. Both have good arms although Realmuto's is better.

I would personally much prefer to sign Grandal for just money than to have to give up one of Conforto/Nimmo/Rosario to get Realmuto.

Reactions: jas

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
As a hitter they are basically identical. Grandal wRC+ last 3 years 125, 102, 121. Realmuto 126, 107, 111. Grandal has more power and patience. Realmuto has more speed/contact. Grandal is one of the best pitch framers in the league. Realmuto is below average. Both have good arms although Realmuto's is better.

I would personally much prefer to sign Grandal for just money than to have to give up one of Conforto/Nimmo/Rosario to get Realmuto.

I don’t like parting with either Conforto or Nimmo. And moving Rosario all depends upon what they believe they have in Gimenez.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Youre not getting Realmuto in free agency. You dont have him your system. Dont say Grandal. Dont say Ramos. Those guys arent in the same stratosphere as Realmuto.

I get the reservations to move certain guys, but getting Realmuto is as important as your pitching staff. You are getting an All Star Catcher, Top 5 Catcher in this league, to handle the strongest part of your organization, your Starting Pitching Staff. And at a young age too.

Cmon.

I hear what you're saying, but for me it's more than catcher. In a vacuum, Realmuto is a major upgrade and a great player.

But from the sound of it, they're more willing to move Conforto or Nimmo and replace them with Pollock via FA.

Pollock doesn't do it for me. He's 31, an average hitter, doesn't get on base and is always hurt. I'm not remotely interested.

I'm also getting a little scared Ari Gold is going scorch the earth to win here. I mean I guess they suck usually anyway so what the hell.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Realmuto top 3 at his position at worse. He is the only 5 tool player playing catcher ATM. Any trade for him will hurt.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Grandal is just as good as Realmuto except he's three years older.
On the surface they look similar. But Realmuto is a far better contact hitter, striking out quite a bit less. His offensive production is better over the course of his 4 full seasons compared to Grandal’s 5 full seasons and at younger ages. Also keep in mind Realmuto has been playing on a losing team virtually his whole career while Grandal has been on a team that his visited the WS in back to back seasons.

Realmuto is definitely the better catcher with more upside moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad