"MLB could expand to 32 teams in 'five to six years"

• Thread starter PepperoniSlapshot*
  • Start date

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I'd say the climate's pretty good considering up to a couple years ago North Carolina alone had every level of pro ball except Short Season A. Between North and South Carolina you have a pretty rich baseball history and as of today you have two Triple-A teams (Charlotte and Durham), three Advanced-A clubs (Carolina, Myrtle Beach, and Winston-Salem), seven Low-A squads (Asheville, Charleston, Columbia, Greensboro, Greenville, Hickory, and Kannapolis), and a Rookie team (Burlington).

The problem is where to play. None of the metropolitan areas in South Carolina are quite big enough yet and North Carolina's best options are Metrolina (the Charlotte metropolitan area) and the Triangle (the Raleigh-Durham area) . Unfortunately for Metrolina, the Knights new park isn't expandable (and their old one, which was, has been torn down and the site redeveloped) and for the Triangle you'd have to find a way to either build a new park or significantly expand Durham Bulls Athletic Park (which currently seats 10,000). I think it'd just be a tough go currently.

Thanks for the info!
So many players come from the area so I just assumed it'd be a good MLB market as well.

If MLB were to expand, hopefully the area could get some investors to pony-up for a new facility.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Offhand the problems I see with what you've got are:

• Considering the Dodgers own OKC outright I doubt they'll change the name back
  • Fair Grounds Field in Shreveport, LA is a dump with no replacement in sight
  • Your South Atlantic League expansion markets are problematic. Savannah city leaders have already rejected building a new stadium and MiLB has declared Grayson unplayable. Voters rejected a new stadium in Wilmington and neither of the extant parks there are suitable. Brooks Field is on UNCW's campus, so no alcohol sales can take place (which caused the demise of both the Port City Roosters and the Wilmington Waves) and Buck Hardee Field is a fine American Legion park but would need serious work for affiliated ball.
  • I don't think there really needs to be a perfect ratio of short season teams to MLB teams, especially since that would result in having to lengthen/expand the draft OR for MLB to also shut down the Dominican Summer League or both

Sorry for bumping, but after garnetpalmetto offered a defense for my critique, I should offer one up for his.

• Well, the Oklahoma City franchise was getting a new affiliate no matter what in my expansion, so keeping the "Dodgers" moniker was just not an option.
  • Give a city like Shreveport-Bossier City enough money and a franchise (Hartford notwithstanding), and a ballpark can be built.
  • Considering that Wilmington, NC, did a study for a Carolina League-ready ballpark, that city could be in competition for a minor league ballpark. Savannah could get back in the MiLB if they get the right developer, enough money and a franchise. I'm also hesitant of dipping into the independent leagues unless there's a good reason to.
  • I don't like the disparity of minor league affiliations between MLB and MiLB. Call me a communist, but that's how I feel. Sure, the Yankees have the most affiliates with 10, but when the RAYS and D-BACKS are tied for 2nd with 9 affiliates, somethings wrong with the affiliation system. I prefer that all teams get a same amount of teams to their disposal.

That's my defense. Again, let's agree to disagree agreeably.

Last edited:

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
I want my Expos back!!!! :cry:

Me too!
I truly believe we'll see the Expos return in the next 5 years. Hopefully less.

BTW, have you read "Up, Up, and Away: The Kid, the Hawk, Rock, Vladi, Pedro, Le Grand Orange, Youppi!, the Crazy Business of Baseball, and the Ill-Fated But Unforgettable Montreal Expos" by Jonah Keri?

Great book for any baseball fan and a must-read for Expo's fans.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Listened to an interview with Michael Farber a week or so ago and he said there has been no movement on the stadium issue since talk of the expos returning began a few years ago. I think the ownership group cannot expect the stadium to be 100% taxpayer funded. Maybe 50-50 public//private is the best they could hope for?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Listened to an interview with Michael Farber a week or so ago and he said there has been no movement on the stadium issue since talk of the expos returning began a few years ago. I think the ownership group cannot expect the stadium to be 100% taxpayer funded. Maybe 50-50 public//private is the best they could hope for?

With Manfred saying expansion being on the back burner until the A's and Rays stadium situations are resolved, never mind needing to get a new CBA in place, I wonder if any stadium efforts in Montreal are on the back burner too.

With both the Rays and the A's having leases that run well until the next decade, there won't be the need to have them used as leverage in the near future either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad