Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Braves signed Brian McCann and Josh Donaldson today, getting started before the Winter Meetings. Besides trading for a quality SP and maybe signing an OF, they don’t have much else to do. I think adding a player like Brantley and taking from their ridiculous crop of pitching prospects to acquire someone like Kluber would make them a legit threat in the NL.

Reactions: JRull86

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Braves signed Brian McCann and Josh Donaldson today, getting started before the Winter Meetings. Besides trading for a quality SP and maybe signing an OF, they don’t have much else to do. I think adding a player like Brantley and taking from their ridiculous crop of pitching prospects to acquire someone like Kluber would make them a legit threat in the NL.
Kluber to Braves makes a lot of sense for both teams.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thinking of going to London to see Red Sox/NYY? Your flight will be cheaper

Tickets: Mitel & MLB Present London Series 2019 - Saturday Ticket, London | Sat 29 Jun 2019 @ 6:10 pm | Ticketmaster UK

upload_2018-11-29_3-20-8.png

Premium seats at London’s Olympic Stadium will cost 385 pounds ($493) for the games between the New York Yankees and World Series champion Boston Red Sox on June 29 and 30. The top non-premium seats near the infield cost 320 pounds ($410).
Seats in the outfield corners go for 270 ($346) and 220 pounds ($282), according to a chart on Ticketmaster’s website. The ones behind the outfield fences go for 120 pounds ($154).

Tickets in the second deck cost 270, 170 ($218), 145 ($186), 120, 80 ($102), 45 ($58) and 30 pounds ($38).

A presale for Yankees and Red Sox season ticket holders starts Friday, and a presale for those who have pre-registered begins Monday. The general on-sale date is Dec. 6.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
The Mets are about to acquire Canó and Diaz from Seattle but they’re giving up two great prospects in Dunn and Kelenic. This is a tough one to judge though; they also are gonna able to dump Bruce and Swarzak to make the money work and they’re gonna get a superstar closer and Canó can still really hit.

I guess if any team could afford to move a quality pitching prospect it’s the Meta.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Mets are about to acquire Canó and Diaz from Seattle but they’re giving up two great prospects in Dunn and Kelenic. This is a tough one to judge though; they also are gonna able to dump Bruce and Swarzak to make the money work and they’re gonna get a superstar closer and Canó can still really hit.

I guess if any team could afford to move a quality pitching prospect it’s the Meta.

I think the Mets are out of their f***ing gourd.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I think the Mets are out of their ****ing gourd.

Haha probably. I guess it depends on what they can do with the whole money situation, which it looks like they’re trying to do by moving Bruce and Swarzak.

I’ll be honest their lineup and pitching will be pretty solid after this deal. They still need a 3b and 1b (Alonso?) but they could actually be good. Then again they’re the Mets, so......

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think the Mets are out of their ****ing gourd.

When a team wins the World Series, it enhances the value of everybody who played a role. That includes members of the front office.
For the Red Sox, a month without even the slightest turbulence ended Wednesday when senior vice president of player personnel Allard Baird left to join the New York Mets.

The 57-year-old Baird will be a vice president and assistant GM for scouting and player development under new general manager Brodie Van Wagenen.

Baird ended a 12-year tenure with the Red Sox that started in 2006 when Theo Epstein hired him as a special assignment scout. The New Hampshire native added further responsibilities under Ben Cherington in 2011 and Dave Dombrowski in 2015.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Robinson cano wants to play in NY. The Yankees don’t want him. The Mets are bidding against themselves. There are a bunch of UFA closers. Diaz is young and cost controlled and looks fantastic. If they trade both kelenic (who one scout called a future superstar) and Dunn I will be beside myself. This is all about money again.

Get Cano for a discount while Seattle picks up 10 mil per season, and a cheap closer instead of signing Kimbrell or Britton....and dumping dead weight in Bruce (26 mil) and swarzak (8)

Reactions: EverettMike

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
When a team wins the World Series, it enhances the value of everybody who played a role. That includes members of the front office.
For the Red Sox, a month without even the slightest turbulence ended Wednesday when senior vice president of player personnel Allard Baird left to join the New York Mets.

The 57-year-old Baird will be a vice president and assistant GM for scouting and player development under new general manager Brodie Van Wagenen.

Baird ended a 12-year tenure with the Red Sox that started in 2006 when Theo Epstein hired him as a special assignment scout. The New Hampshire native added further responsibilities under Ben Cherington in 2011 and Dave Dombrowski in 2015.

Had a great interview on WFAN today.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

This is just such a stupid stupid STUPID trade by the Mets

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
On the flip side, getting Sheffield, Dunn and Kelenic is a pretty good start to a rebuild. Mcneil can be useful in the rebuilding years. And they still haven’t traded Segura yet. I imagine they keep Haniger.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Latest on this deal is the Mariners are taking on full contracts of Bruce and Swarzak's unmovable contracts (37mil) AND paying 60 million of Cano's deal. basically paying 100 mil of the 120 mil owed.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Robinson cano wants to play in NY. The Yankees don’t want him. The Mets are bidding against themselves. There are a bunch of UFA closers. Diaz is young and cost controlled and looks fantastic. If they trade both kelenic (who one scout called a future superstar) and Dunn I will be beside myself. This is all about money again.

Get Cano for a discount while Seattle picks up 10 mil per season, and a cheap closer instead of signing Kimbrell or Britton....and dumping dead weight in Bruce (26 mil) and swarzak (8)

Diaz plays in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in the league. I'm always wary of guys like that. Making a move for him is fine, but taking on Cano, who is basically a DH at this point of his career, is the part that I choke on for the NYM in this deal. I also get that Swarzak struggled last year and was injured, but wasn't he being groomed as the closer of the future prior to last season? Seems very reactionary and fills one spot, but gives them a guy in Cano that is really an American league only type of player now.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Reactions: LSCII

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Diaz plays in one of the most pitcher friendly parks in the league. I'm always wary of guys like that. Making a move for him is fine, but taking on Cano, who is basically a DH at this point of his career, is the part that I choke on for the NYM in this deal. I also get that Swarzak struggled last year and was injured, but wasn't he being groomed as the closer of the future prior to last season? Seems very reactionary and fills one spot, but gives them a guy in Cano that is really an American league only type of player now.

There you have it. All about money, as always, for the Mets. Mets fans David Roth nailed this earlier this year.

https://deadspin.com/how-bad-does-it-have-to-get-before-rob-manfred-does-som-1827876806

We will see with the money, it as always that's the only thing it's about.

sign a UFA closer at 13-15 mil per and keep kelenic who was by far the best prep hitter in the draft (6th overall) and let him develop or pay your closer peanuts, hope he's the real deal, and get a "name" player for not much money, while dumping Bruce.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

Furthermore Mets are negotiating vs themselves and STILL include their 2nd and 3rd best prospects. They wonder why they can never be good.

I cannot even imagine who will be more lazy, Cano or Cespedes when he comes back.

If the Mets can never get good enough to get to the World Series, how will the Red Sox ever get the chance to avenge '86? :(

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
NL East should be fun next year. Braves loading up, Phillies getting Segura, Nats getting Corbin, Mets giving the farm for Cano and Diaz.

Then there's Derek Jeter's tax write-off to go 67-95 and make the rest of the division's records better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad