Red Sox/MLB MLB considering drastic rule changes that could speed up games, create universal DH in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
If you think today ticket increase was big, just wait till these guys get there money. It’s getting too expensive. I used to go maybe 5 times a year, now......eek.
I usually go and do standing room so the cost isn't too bad. My friends also have season tickets so I'll go with one of them on occasion.

If you don't mind SRO, Bleachers or Grandstand, Sox tickets are cheaper than Bruins, Celtics and Pats tickets.

I could get season tickets for the Sox and it would be cheaper than what I paid for the Bruins and that's with a lot more games

Ozamataz Buckshank

Oct 7, 2010
Massachusetts
Well deserved win for Mookie, he had an amazing season. It's a pity though that Trout hasn't been able to win more than 2 MVPs with his streak of extended greatness. The dude just doesn't have a down year.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I thought he and Eovaldi would be as good as gone after the playoff showings they had.

I'm perfectly happy platooning Pearce and Moreland at first, provided Moreland's healthy.

We'll see if Eovaldi stays too. If he does, we've gotta be favored to repeat.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I love the Pearce signing for one year. Now we need to sign Eovoldi and assuming we loose Kimbrel and Kelly, I am okay with getting Miller and Robertson. Am interested to see if Chavis makes this team out of spring training. We have a glut of " hybird" players in Holt, Swihart, Hernandez and Lin. DD needs to get rid of at least one of these players. We need depth at 2B( AA or AAA high end prospect) and a younger 1B to take over from MM and SP in a few years. I would toss Leon/Vasquez and Swihart's name out there and see what you can fetch for one of them.
Also, I am not convinced Rodriguez is the real deal yet, would see what we can get for him, sell him after his good year.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The other two prospects aren’t very highly regarded...that’s a trade I make if I’m NY 10/10 times. Although apparently SEA is worried about Paxton’s health holding up long term and he is a UFA in 2 (I think?) years...but as the old acronym goes, TINSTAAPP.

Wonder if they still try to add a guy like Corbin in FA? Happ and Lynn are FA and they can let them walk and I assume they will move Gray...go with Paxton/Tanaka/Severino/CC/Corbin? That would be decent...although I am in year 5 of waiting for Tanaka’s arm to fall off...

Last edited:
Reactions: EverettMike

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I will say, some of Paxton's advanced stats aren't very good. Couple that with that short RF, and you could see some bad performances.

I'm always nervous bringing in guys who have found success pitching in bigger parks

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Well there’s your big move. I thought the Yankees would trade for a big name pitcher, likely either Kluber or Paxton, and sign another. I fully expect Corbin incoming and they let Happ walk now.

Paxton
Corbin
Severino
Tanaka
CC

I think I was discussing this with @DKH, but I still think this rotation carries a lot of risk. Paxton always gets hurt, although he destroys the Red Sox, Corbin alternates great and average/hurt years, Severino has a ton to prove after this season, Tanaka is good and CC is already half in the tank.

But we’ll see. Sheffield is a great prospect and Thompson-Williams is very solid. I admittedly don’t know anything about Swanson.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well there’s your big move. I thought the Yankees would trade for a big name pitcher, likely either Kluber or Paxton, and sign another. I fully expect Corbin incoming and they let Happ walk now.

Paxton
Corbin
Severino
Tanaka
CC

I think I was discussing this with @DKH, but I still think this rotation carries a lot of risk. Paxton always gets hurt, although he destroys the Red Sox, Corbin alternates great and average/hurt years, Severino has a ton to prove after this season, Tanaka is good and CC is already half in the tank.

But we’ll see. Sheffield is a great prospect and Thompson-Williams is very solid. I admittedly don’t know anything about Swanson.
Very interesting deal - the ‘Big Maple’ has a great arm and supposed makeup but he’s not exactly been durable or a big winner or innings eater. The jury is out on him to me.

DD makes moves and I think the Red Sox are going to be positively active. David Robertson lives in Rhode Island and I would take a serious run at him- he all but said Red Sox or New York and he’s acting as his own agent.

Kluber is a pipe dream but he lives like Neely in Winchester and his folks live on the Cape. And he’s a Sox fan. He would be amazing but not a match

I can see Eovoldi coming back - wouldn’t surprise me

The Sox are spending

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Have been reading tweets and the Yankees tried to get Jean Segura in the Paxton deal. THAT would have sucked; he’s a hell of a player and I could see him being a great Yankee.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Very interesting deal - the ‘Big Maple’ has a great arm and supposed makeup but he’s not exactly been durable or a big winner or innings eater. The jury is out on him to me.

DD makes moves and I think the Red Sox are going to be positively active. David Robertson lives in Rhode Island and I would take a serious run at him- he all but said Red Sox or New York and he’s acting as his own agent.

Kluber is a pipe dream but he lives like Neely in Winchester and his folks live on the Cape. And he’s a Sox fan. He would be amazing but not a match

The Sox are spending

I would like Robertson. Sign him to close, sign Andrew Miller and sign back Eovaldi. That’s all they need to do unless they wanna go big and upgrade a position like 2b or C.

Reactions: JRull86 and DKH

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

The Sox are spending
I just don't see it with Paxton being a fit pitching half his games in that pathetic park in NY, and there's some legit analytics to back it up.

With the emphasis teams are putting on barreling balls and launch angle, he's going to give up a ton of HRs to RF in that park, which were loud outs in SEA.

12-8 with 150 IP, 200K and a 4.15ERA

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Beltre announced his retirement

sneakily one of the all time greats, and I'd argue a top 3 3rd baseman of all time.

.286/.339/.480 career slash line
3,166 hits
477 HR
1,707 RBI
5x GG
4x Silver Slugger
career WAR of 95.7

and like Ortiz, he never dropped off or had the 3-5 years of looking like Old Yeller accumulating stats. Only played 119 games last year but still hit .273

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
100% one of the Red So worst moves in the past decade was not re-signing him.

I never understood that and IIRC, even very early into the season people were talking like it was pre-determined that he was going to be one and done in Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad