MLB 2023

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I really have no idea whether Baty can turn it around - the league found a hole in his swing, and he's yet to respond. But if he doesn't, some rookie or other will get a chance in his place.
I'm more concerned about Baty's glove. This year was not a good one for him at 3B.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Gonna go see Brooklyn play tomorrow night to see their much more interesting, athletic, and deeper team of position players especially if Parada comes back from his injury. Even without Parada the top of the lineup is much better. Adding players like Jett Williams SS, Jacob Reimer 3B, Kyle Clifford 1B (acquired in Scherzer deal), and Rhylan Thomas RF (natural CF'er) to the team means that they've gotten younger, will strike out far less, and will be more active baserunners. Of course, their pitching has gotten far worse with promotions, but that's okay - got to see Tidwell & Stuart earlier in the season (Stuart is enormous). Ramirez & Parada (if he plays) ought to be better because opposing pitchers won't be able to use all their juice to get just them out. Guys like Estep, Gil, and Palmer were auto-outs.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just noticed Brett Baty was sent down to AAA. He earned this demotion. The entirety of his game was lacking. I hope he can have a solid, error free 6 weeks in the minors.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Thoughts on Mets in Brooklyn:

First off, it's impossible to get a read on the hitters at this level, especially after promotions, because the pitchers are usually 2-4 years older and WAY more advanced than the hitters. But...

- Jett Williams is really fast, and has excellent bat speed. Hit a couple of balls hard that were knocked down (was happening all night to everyone). His arm is fringe for SS, but probably fine for CF, and he is definitely fast enough. The only guy (healthy) on the roster who is very likely a future major league regular. He's really short, and really wide. Like Martin St. Louis-ish in both respects.

- Stanley Consuegra (RF) isn't gonna hit much, but dude can throw. Almost nabbed a player running for a double at 2B. Then he did nab the same guy trying to score from 2nd on a single at home. Both lasers.

- Ryan Clifford (acquired in one of the trades) swings for the fences ever friggin' time. I dunno.

- Junior Tillien (2B) is young, and trying to figure it out, but had some excellent AB's vs advanced pitchers. Can say the same about Jacob Reimer (3B). Two to watch.

- Alex Ramirez has a lot of talent but is having a really hard time with all these advanced pitchers.

In general, I feel like A+ is where hitters get separated because the pitchers can locate offspeed at A+ (most are post college), or they face specialized relievers in situations they haven't before. (Other team brought in a sidearming righty who threw 95 with 85 offspeed vs Brooklyns righties at the top of the order, and they had no chance).

Last edited:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Very interesting to see that even with Baty down in AAA, Mauricio is still the straw that stirs the drink there. He's gone from 125 Ks in 2022 to 96 Ks in 2023 in about the same number of plate appearances without sacrificing any power - sending his OBP from 296 to 349. It's a big deal. I don't think the Soriano comparisons are good - Mauricio doesn't approach Soriano's power, speed, or Soriano's defensive ineptitude. Could he be an average fielding 800 OPS switch hitter who runs the bases? I think so, and I'll take that.

I hope the Mets try to sign one good outfielder this offseason. Then if Marte looks okay, they can plan to start McNeil at 2B, and let Baty and Mauricio fight it out for 3B. I saw Mauricio live a bunch at Brooklyn, and his arm is better than Baty's. I think he'll get better defensively, because he definitely grew, and filled in since then, and I imagine it takes a bit to get used to that. Adding both Mauricio & Baty to the lineup at once adds too many strikeouts, imo.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Well, turns out that what I've thought about Mauricio's energy is working for the Mets right now. He's got that something beyond being good (not great) at many things (good hands, good arm strength, good baserunning, hits the ball hard). The league hasn't gone to school on him as a hitter yet, but If he can keep the K's reasonably down, I think he'll be an above average infielder.

As far as his position is concerned, the question is whether Mauricio can be an average 2B, and it's probably too early to tell. But his body type + good arm screams 3B to me, and I think he'll end up there if Baty can't hit major league pitching. Baty looks like a guess hitter to me at the MLB level, at least this year. At any rate, I think the Mets are in much better shape for next season than folks think.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
As far as his position is concerned, the question is whether Mauricio can be an average 2B, and it's probably too early to tell. But his body type + good arm screams 3B to me, and I think he'll end up there if Baty can't hit major league pitching. Baty looks like a guess hitter to me at the MLB level, at least this year. At any rate, I think the Mets are in much better shape for next season than folks think.
Looks like the Mauricio/McNeil combo will allow the Mets to have a lot of positional flexibility in the near future. The Mets now have options next season at various positions. I'm changing my mind on Alonso - I think the Mets are probably better off signing him long term, and not spend big money on an outfielder. They can cobble an outfield together in the near term, and they've got a whole group of versatile, athletic players coming up who are showing right now in AA that they'll be ready sooner rather than later. Gilbert is likely to be ready first, but Acuna isn't far behind. Jett Williams is closing the gap faster than anyone thought he would. I don't know if it's going to create the best offense (a McNeil-Nimmo-Marte-Gilbert + mixed outfield will have well below average power), but I really enjoy watching athletic teams who run the bases as I guess is normal for Mets fans who grew up in the 80s. I think that's one of the reasons why I'm not as high on Baty & Vientos, neither of whom fit that bill.

I love Mauricio at 3B. I like his arm, I like his hands, I like his baserunning ability, I like his energy, I think his bat is fast enough for him to adjust to MLB pitching, and I think he has more than enough power to hit 20-30 HR.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Looks like the Mauricio/McNeil combo will allow the Mets to have a lot of positional flexibility in the near future. The Mets now have options next season at various positions. I'm changing my mind on Alonso - I think the Mets are probably better off signing him long term, and not spend big money on an outfielder. They can cobble an outfield together in the near term, and they've got a whole group of versatile, athletic players coming up who are showing right now in AA that they'll be ready sooner rather than later. Gilbert is likely to be ready first, but Acuna isn't far behind. Jett Williams is closing the gap faster than anyone thought he would. I don't know if it's going to create the best offense (a McNeil-Nimmo-Marte-Gilbert + mixed outfield will have well below average power), but I really enjoy watching athletic teams who run the bases as I guess is normal for Mets fans who grew up in the 80s. I think that's one of the reasons why I'm not as high on Baty & Vientos, neither of whom fit that bill.

I love Mauricio at 3B. I like his arm, I like his hands, I like his baserunning ability, I like his energy, I think his bat is fast enough for him to adjust to MLB pitching, and I think he has more than enough power to hit 20-30 HR.
I agree on most except Alonso. He is too feast or famine for me. His .220 batting average reminds me of Kingman. I would move him for pitching or outfield help. I think first base is one of the easier positions to find someone.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Ohtani found a sucker.
i don't understand, budget aside, how much sense this makes when trying to build a championship baseball team. Even with unlimited budget, baseball needs so much to compete, a single player (even one who pitches, though not this year) can't make that much impact.
A few ticket sales and merch? for sure.

But pitchers get hurt, arms/elbows wear, knees - good God, it's not my money so I don't really care but seems like it's going to backfire. Then again, it's the Dodgers, they're going to be a good team anyway.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
i don't understand, budget aside, how much sense this makes when trying to build a championship baseball team. Even with unlimited budget, baseball needs so much to compete, a single player (even one who pitches, though not this year) can't make that much impact.
He's a rare combination of contact, power and athleticism. He fits right into that lineup and makes them way more dangerous. They need starting pitching, but they're gonna murder at the plate.

Reactions: redbull

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Sorry for the off topic but a question must be answered...

Islanders fans are Mets fans too in NYC, right ?

Thanks !

That correlation used to work more, now if the person's DOB is 1980 or later it tends to not work as well. It works very well for those born pre 1975. It often goes Giants-Yankees-Rangers or Mets-Jets-Isles but its very erratic in those who are in their 20s/30s and even 40s somewhat. Part of that is probably impacted by transplants who move here out of college for jobs and are not really into sports much or are internationally born and they become Rangers fans because their co-workers or company has tickets or takes them to games but take an interest more so in the Mets or Jets over time.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
That correlation used to work more, now if the person's DOB is 1980 or later it tends to not work as well. It works very well for those born pre 1975. It often goes Giants-Yankees-Rangers or Mets-Jets-Isles but its very erratic in those who are in their 20s/30s and even 40s somewhat. Part of that is probably impacted by transplants who move here out of college for jobs and are not really into sports much or are internationally born and they become Rangers fans because their co-workers or company has tickets or takes them to games but take an interest more so in the Mets or Jets over time.
My kids and their friends are all in their 20’s and 30’s. Based on them there is still a very strong correlation between Mets Jets Isles and Yanks Giants Rangers. However less are baseball fans these days so quite often it is either Isles Jets or Rangers Giants

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
My kids and their friends are all in their 20’s and 30’s. Based on them there is still a very strong correlation between Mets Jets Isles and Yanks Giants Rangers. However less are baseball fans these days so quite often it is either Isles Jets or Rangers Giants

I believe it has to do with relevancy when you are growing up. I grew up when the Devils and Rags won cups so most of the people my age were fans of those two teams. The Islanders were a dumpster fire so the only Isles fans I know come from households that were already fans from the 80's.

The same is true for the Yankees and Mets I think. Did you grow up in the 90's and wanted a winner? You certainly weren't picking the Mets.

Last edited:

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I believe it has to do with relevancy when you are growing up. I grew up when the Devils and Rags won cups so most of the people my age were fans of those two teams. The Islanders were a dumpster fire so the only Isles fans I know come from households that were already fans from the 80's.

The same is true for the Yankees and Mets I think. Did you grow up in the 90's and wanted a winner? You certainly weren't picking the Mets.
I’m sure relevancy played a part. I raised my family in Suffolk County. The ride to see the Mets and Isles was much easier than the ride to see the Yanks and Rangers. Obviously the Jets and Giants were a push playing in the same stadium but the Jets still practiced on Long Island giving them the edge. I think getting to games influenced many kids.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
At least for me it was directly influence by my dad. But for him it was who was relevant at the time - when he was 8, both the Mets and Jets won the championship. That basically sealed it.

He was a big hockey fan growing up and liked the Rangers, that is until the Isles made their building a short ride from his house. He's been there since the beginning going to games after high school. Then of course came the late 70's Rangers rivalry and 80's Dynasty.

So naturally I'm a JIM fan like many others. I do feel like if you are not super die hard with one of the teams, you'll pickup the "natural" third. Like a bunch of my friends are Jets-Mets and they gravitate to the Isles over the Rags.

dino26

May 22, 2008
MN via Glasgow
Sorry for the off topic but a question must be answered...

Islanders fans are Mets fans too in NYC, right ?

Thanks !

But pitchers get hurt, arms/elbows wear, knees - good God, it's not my money so I don't really care but seems like it's going to backfire. Then again, it's the Dodgers, they're going to be a good team anyway.

I am yes. That seems to the pattern for the most part

Thanks for the replys! Love to learn about the New York identity.

From what I find the NY sports stereotype would be Jets-Isles-Mets OR Giants-Yankees-Rangers though I feel that is not necessarily accurate but is the sports stereotype that tends to get portrayed in tv shows (King of Queens) and movies etc. I think the Yankees have a strong bond with New Yorkers with Italian heritage from players like Joe DiMaggio and get passed down. Those who predominantly live in the Queens/Nassau County area are more lined with the Jets-Isles-Mets though many fans now a days are a mix of different teams.

I like Jets - Yankees and Isles as example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad