OT: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Oh yeah it definitely seems like there is major validity to the story. Just that pic was folks jumping the gun a bit.
While disappointing, not totally unexpected as far as that pic not being what it was made out to be. This is just such a wild story. I always kinda thought that stealing signs wasn't THAT big of a deal. This went to another level though. Statistically it didn't even really help them THAT much as far as home and away splits went.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
While disappointing, not totally unexpected as far as that pic not being what it was made out to be. This is just such a wild story. I always kinda thought that stealing signs wasn't THAT big of a deal. This went to another level though. Statistically it didn't even really help them THAT much as far as home and away splits went.

They didn’t need to cheat like this. They were already a very good team.

Though if they were using this electronic tapping thing this could very easily be used on the road.

There has always been a level of gamesmanship in baseball, but this stuff really elevates it to another level.

All the quotes out of the locker room are so bad. They all knew it was wrong, but none of them had the balls to step up and say we don’t need to do this.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
❂ Mike ℕℍℕ Clevinger ❂ (@Mike_Anthony13) Tweeted:
Best part is their fans still actin with the same pompous ass attitude those boys walked with, while taking millions of dollars from boys and jobs completely, staring at the camera, carrying a bat to first, maybe some don’t get it.But this is worse than steroids.

Clevinger going off.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
❂ Mike ℕℍℕ Clevinger ❂ (@Mike_Anthony13) Tweeted:
Best part is their fans still actin with the same pompous ass attitude those boys walked with, while taking millions of dollars from boys and jobs completely, staring at the camera, carrying a bat to first, maybe some don’t get it.But this is worse than steroids.

Clevinger going off.

I've read that tweet at least 6 times over and still have no idea what he's saying, so I went to his feed. Apparently his shtick is rambling like a dude at last call whose girl just left him for greener pastures. Or at least I hope for his sake it's a shtick.

Meanwhile the righteous indignation of Yankees fans from seemingly every corner of the country on this issue blows my mind.

That franchise essentially has a lost decade, (at least) 2 tarnished titles, and a congressional hearing on their resume in the very recent past.

I'd be giving a tip of the hat if I owned a Roger Clemens jersey.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
They didn’t need to cheat like this. They were already a very good team.

Though if they were using this electronic tapping thing this could very easily be used on the road.

There has always been a level of gamesmanship in baseball, but this stuff really elevates it to another level.

All the quotes out of the locker room are so bad. They all knew it was wrong, but none of them had the balls to step up and say we don’t need to do this.
No, it is not another level, just another chapter at worst. And in my view steroids - on the Yankees in particular - was a significantly worse problem than this scandal.

Clemens, Denny Neagle, Jason Grimsley, Andy Pettitte, Chuck Knoblauch, Mike Stanton, Alex Rodriguez, Cano, Canseco, David Justice, Jason Giambi... I could go on.

I trust you'll be consistent and call all of those guys out for having no balls.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think the Mets dodged a bullet.

Dude had absolutely no experience & for the life of me I have a hard time arguing that it wasn't a nepotism hire.

Well let's see who they name as their next manager first (if it's consistent with their interview process it'll be someone like Eduardo Perez, assuming he even wants the job with someone else's staff). They clearly were angling for the 'no experience, pay a manager as little as possible and have him be subservient to Brodie' angle this offseason as it was and people were already mad at the Mets for letting Girardi go to the Phillies.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Whichever Hall of Fame voter didn’t vote Jeter in 1st ballot should lose his right to vote in future ballots.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Eh, Jeter was a great player, but unanimous votes should be reserved for generational players.
I'm as big of a Yankees hater as you'll find, but when you're the best player at that position in the history of that franchise with his character you deserve it.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It is funny the big deal people make of the exhalted unanimous vote, the voters were a lot better to Jeter than Mays, DiMaggio, Ruth, etc. Of course watch the only no vote be some guy who writes an article about it in the Athletic to sell subscriptions.

I just heard today the ballot in two years is gonna be not only Bonds and Clemens on their last chance, but A-Rod and Ortiz on their first ballot. That voting's gonna be lit.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'm as big of a Yankees hater as you'll find, but when you're the best player at that position in the history of that franchise with his character you deserve it.

Character is overrated. Some people are assholes, but they should be in.

Terrell Owens was an ass, but he is one of the top 3 receivers in NFL history.

Cheaters on the other hand, f*** them. Wait until Carlos Beltran is up for consideration. That should be fun, too.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Jeter is one of the most overrated players of all time.

He was also one of the most clutch players I have ever watched and it drove me nuts.

That said, he still is a first ballot hall of famer, but I wouldn't say he deserves unanimous first ballot. Mariano Rivera definitely did, but not really Jeter, sorry Yanks fans.

Bonds needs to be voted in, these voters are insane

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Jeter is one of the most overrated players of all time.

He was also one of the most clutch players I have ever watched and it drove me nuts.

That said, he still is a first ballot hall of famer, but I wouldn't say he deserves unanimous first ballot. Mariano Rivera definitely did, but not really Jeter, sorry Yanks fans.

Bonds needs to be voted in, these voters are insane

Agreed with everything except Bonds.

I think there has to be standards. If one standard is that you are not allowed to take steroids to gain an advantage and you did, sorry, you done f***ed up. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

If they let him in the HoF, then what's to stop the next cheater? Now we're seeing the systematic cheating with technology. The MLB, by not punishing the players, is basically saying that they're tacitly OK with it. And because society identifies with sports, people are more prone to cheating because, well, everybody is doing it.

I'll stop there before I step on the mods' toes

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Agreed with everything except Bonds.

I think there has to be standards. If one standard is that you are not allowed to take steroids to gain an advantage and you did, sorry, you done ****ed up. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

If they let him in the HoF, then what's to stop the next cheater? Now we're seeing the systematic cheating with technology. The MLB, by not punishing the players, is basically saying that they're tacitly OK with it. And because society identifies with sports, people are more prone to cheating because, well, everybody is doing it.

I'll stop there before I step on the mods' toes

I get that opinion, I respect it.

I also think Pete Rose should be in, so whatev

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
It is funny the big deal people make of the exhalted unanimous vote, the voters were a lot better to Jeter than Mays, DiMaggio, Ruth, etc. Of course watch the only no vote be some guy who writes an article about it in the Athletic to sell subscriptions.

I just heard today the ballot in two years is gonna be not only Bonds and Clemens on their last chance, but A-Rod and Ortiz on their first ballot. That voting's gonna be lit.

an all around unanimous zero votes for induction would be colossal ……i could only wish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad