Mitch Marner's Contract

Is Marner overpaid or underpaid?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Non-leaf overpaid for sure. I'm also factoring in the team structure with Matthews signing, it adds to my decision.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
Overpaid by about 1 million. Should provide close to 100 pts for the duration of the contract on top of being one of the best defensive wingers in the league

Reactions: Pyrophorus

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Non Leaf fan who would have liked it more with more term but considering Matthews contract it's solid. Marner gets under appreciated in Toronto for some strange reason but I think he's better then Matthews in making others around him better. Marner is a play maker on the wing that can be deployed in all situations. Be nice if he scored a bit more but he's great at setting others up. He will be a top ten point producer in NHL for awhile moving forward. Would love him on my team.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Overpaid by about 1 million. Should provide close to 100 pts for the duration of the contract on top of being one of the best defensive wingers in the league
#1.... a 100 point winger that's one of the best in the game defensively is well worth this contract
#2 Mitch Marner is not the player you just described.

One of the best defensive wingers in the game....?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s a little overpaid if you look around the league, but the Leafs did what they had to do with Marner and Matthews.

I’m sure they’re fine paying top dollar for two great talents at 22 and 23-years old.

The real contract that is going to be an issue moving forward is the Tavares deal. As he ages and that’s the big cap hit that hurts.

Marner and Matthews will be elite players throughout the remainder of their contracts.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Marner is a great player. One of my favourites in the league for sure. He's overpaid by about 1-2 million though. If Toronto could've signed him for about 9.5M that would've been a bit more fair. However, he's paid fairly from an internal perspective. Once they signed JT to an 11M contract, the young guys were bound to ask for more. Marner put up more points than Tavares in his contract year and he was on upwards trajectory. He was right to ask for Tavares money. I'm not saying the Leafs shouldn't have signed Tavares but it costed them cap-wise.

Reactions: themelkman

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Marner is a great player. One of my favourites in the league for sure. He's overpaid by about 1-2 million though. If Toronto could've signed him for about 9.5M that would've been a bit more fair. However, he's paid fairly from an internal perspective. Once they signed JT to a 11M contract, the young guys were bound to ask for more. Marner put up more points than Tavares in his contract year and he was on upwards trajectory. He was right to ask for Tavares money. I'm not saying the Leafs shouldn't have signed Tavares but it costed them cap-wise.
Agreed, Tavares is going to be what hurts this team.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Definitely overpaid by 2 million or so. That said overpaying a star player 2 million isn't that big of a deal. Every team is overpaying certain players (cough K. Russell), better for it to be the stars.

Reactions: GreeningOil

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
There’s no question he’s overpaid compared to any of his peers on any metric you want to use. I mean you can justify Matthews based on him trending to be a top 10 player who will end up in the top 5. Marner just isn’t close to that imo. The contract by itself isn’t the major problem but when combined with Tavares it puts the Leafs at a pretty big cap disadvantage compared to the teams they are competing with.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
#1.... a 100 point winger that's one of the best in the game defensively is well worth this contract
#2 Mitch Marner is not the player you just described.

One of the best defensive wingers in the game....?

There were only 2 wingers that received more selke votes than Marner last year

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
You're so weirdly obsessed. Why do you need the feel to go around every single thread on this forum trashing Marner? We get it, you didn't like how he handled his contract negotiations, now get over it.
Was my favourite player, thought he would take a bullet for the team. Was so excited when I got his Jersey.

And then he let his pride and ego take over. He thought he was better than all his peers, even Kucherov and Kane (kucherov signed at a lower cap hit as a UFA while Kane post ELC signed at a much lower of a cap hit).

I wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not as good as the Matthews contract but still very fair. One of the best players prior to signing his post-ELC contract in the entire cap era.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Non Leaf fan who would have liked it more with more term but considering Matthews contract it's solid. Marner gets under appreciated in Toronto for some strange reason but I think he's better then Matthews in making others around him better. Marner is a play maker on the wing that can be deployed in all situations. Be nice if he scored a bit more but he's great at setting others up. He will be a top ten point producer in NHL for awhile moving forward. Would love him on my team.

If there is any scrutiny about these big deal.. Matthews, Tavares, Marner, etc.. IMO Matthews is the best. Yes I agree Dubas should have gotten 8 years. But Matthews was elite this year and in a year with a lot of injuries and underperformances, Matthews carried the team most of the year. If not for his rep as being "overrated" he would have gotten more respect for it.

Marner deal is terrible IMO. I hope he is traded.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If there is any scrutiny about these big deal.. Matthews, Tavares, Marner, etc.. IMO Matthews is the best. Yes I agree Dubas should have gotten 8 years. But Matthews was elite this year and in a year with a lot of injuries and underperformances, Matthews carried the team most of the year. If not for his rep as being "overrated" he would have gotten more respect for it.

Marner deal is terrible IMO. I hope he is traded.
I disagree but can understand one liking Matthews more. Position, size, FO ability and that shot for sure. However for me he's more of a one man show. The fact he looks like he's floating sometimes doesn't help. If he learns to use his wingers more he could be one of the best in league for sure but he hasn't shown that for me yet. He's young and could improve but regardless he's still already a great player but for me Marner is similar level. He might not score even half as much as Matthews but I believe he will always out produce him with points total. Nice to have both on your team though.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
There were only 2 wingers that received more selke votes than Marner last year

He was 5th in the league in give aways for wingers this year, tied with defensive stalwart Johnny Gaudreau (though Mitch did it in 11 fewer games).

Mitch getting 5 Selke votes last year only proves that Toronto has at least 5 voters.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He was 5th in the league in give aways for wingers this year, tied with defensive stalwart Johnny Gaudreau (though Mitch did it in 11 fewer games).

Mitch getting 5 Selke votes last year only proves that Toronto has at least 5 voters.

I wouldn't really consider giveaways a defensive stat. I don't think Marner's defense is much of a plus (like a Mark Stone), but his team generally does better in terms of xGA and CA when he's on the ice. He's certainly not a drag defensively like many high scoring wingers.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Im a huge Marner fan, I was happier when we took Marner in the draft over Matthews. was a chance we took someone else over Marner and Matthews was for sure I knew 100% we weren't taking Laine over Matthews
But now with this contract, for the good of the team I'm down for whatever happens. as long as Matthews isn't traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad