Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I have never seen an athlete be more immature, childish and petty than Mitch. I think his dad seriously messed him up throughout his early years and this is the result.

Answer the question dude holy shit :banghead:

Imagine if the media teed off on him when he pulls his annual magical disappearing act in the playoffs 🤔
I haven't either, at least not that I can think of right now. It's been going on for so many years that I'm now wondering for the first time - does there come a point where we stop making excuses for him and say you know what, maybe the guys just a d-bag?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I haven't either, at least not that I can think of right now. It's been going on for so many years that I'm now wondering for the first time - does there come a point where we stop making excuses for him and say you know what, maybe the guys just a d-bag?
He's easily shook.... it's obvious in interviews and obvious when games get serious. He's proving his critics right in these interviews and doesn't even know he's doing it.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Mitch Marner, wtf are you doing? The media are gentle to you. Extremely gentle. Why do think this is them vs. you?! Do you need to get your head checked? Is someone in your family listening to his golf buddies talking or what?

I don’t get this fake out rage against Marner. The guy has been burried on social media and by the media since his contract extension. Are we surprised we are at this point now?

A lot of his quotes in the past were taken out of context and twisted. He was very defensive in his media today but we are past getting a good response from him. He doesn’t trust the media clearly. And to be honest after the car jacking, I think that trust in people in general has changed for him. I think people underplay how that event may have really affected him as a person. His media avails have been a lot worse since that incident.

Marner is not even a top 10 dbag in sports. Not even close. Pretty huge exaggeration. I can name 20 other athletes that are way worse in the media than him.

There’s about 20 alone in the NFL and NBA each.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I didn’t see the whole intereview or whatever but how did MM get to that answer from the question Alter tweeted? Was there a few more questions and comments missing?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I don’t get this fake out rage against Marner. The guy has been burried on social media and by the media since his contract extension. Are we surprised we are at this point now?

A lot of his quotes in the past were taken out of context and twisted. He was very defensive in his media today but we are past getting a good response from him. He doesn’t trust the media clearly. And to be honest after the car jacking, I think that trust in people in general has changed for him. I think people underplay how that event may have really affected him as a person. His media avails have been a lot worse since that incident.

Marner is not even a top 10 dbag in sports. Not even close. Pretty huge exaggeration. I can name 20 other athletes that are way worse in the media than him.

Now you have me out of context.

Are you sure these comments aren't for someone else?

Marner has been very defensive for a long time. Long before the car jacking.

Who said he's a d bag? Me? Who?

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021

Soooo of the 1000's of players in the highest leagues of sport, he is around top 20? That's impressive and in the top 1% of dbags. Get this man his money those stats are amazing!

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Soooo of the 1000's of players in the highest leagues of sport, he is around top 20? That's impressive and in the top 1% of dbags. Get this man his money those stats are amazing!
Marner isn’t a douche, our fan base is just softer than charmin toilet paper lol. Who the hell cares about how he is? All that matters is his play on the ice. Why do you care so much as a grown man what an athlete says at a press conference

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Just gotta hope he can put it together mentally. He's primed to be on the defensive, not doing himself any favors. If he starts to buckle when he returns it's not going to be pretty.

The whole year has been a bit off. Maybe going into a contract year, having willy get paid more than him and seeing a cap crunch, getting overloaded with the discourse..

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner isn’t a douche, our fan base is just softer than charmin toilet paper lol. Who the hell cares about how he is? All that matters is his play on the ice. Why do you care so much as a grown man what an athlete says at a press conference
People really will cry, whine and complain about anything. It’s either his father, his teeth, the media, wife, dog etc.
All we know is he is extremely popular with his teammates, other players around the league and with the fans.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I didn't say top 10, just d-bag. But that's probably too harsh, I shouldn't have said that and I don't really think he's a d-bag at all. I've spent years saying it doesn't matter what he says and I'm just getting tired of making excuses for him but d-bag, yeah I think I was wrong to say that. Self-entitled, that's the first word that comes to mind and whiny is probably next but d-bag probably isn't applicable in this case.

100% agree and I've said this many times. I don't know the guy and will probably never meet him so to me, he's just another random person except when he's on the ice playing for my team.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
People really will cry, whine and complain about anything. It’s either his father, his teeth, the media, wife, dog etc.
All we know is he is extremely popular with his teammates, other players around the league and with the fans.
We don't know what his teammates really think. They say nice things about him but that's what professional athletes so by default so it doesn't mean anything. If you really want to know what his teammates think, you will have to wait until after he's done playing, then maybe someone will say something about him when they write a book or something, or you may never know. But as others have said - who cares?

LOL at saying he's "Extremely popular" with the fans. He's maybe the most polarizing player to play for the Leafs in the last 50 years. You have this habit of arrogantly assuming you speak for everyone, when will you ever learn?.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I really don’t see an issue with the response to the media. All he’s saying is that it’s private and won’t talk about it.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I didn't say top 10, just d-bag. But that's probably too harsh, I shouldn't have said that and I don't really think he's a d-bag at all. I've spent years saying it doesn't matter what he says and I'm just getting tired of making excuses for him but d-bag, yeah I think I was wrong to say that. Self-entitled, that's the first word that comes to mind and whiny is probably next but d-bag probably isn't applicable in this case.

100% agree and I've said this many times. I don't know the guy and will probably never meet him so to me, he's just another random person except when he's on the ice playing for my team.
I think what bothers some people is that he acts like the media is so tough on him but in reality the media helped him get his payday by slobbering over every play he made while calling him indispensable. He should be handing out Christmas cards with $$ in them to the media...not blaming them for everything the Leafs fail to achieve.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He's easily shook.... it's obvious in interviews and obvious when games get serious. He's proving his critics right in these interviews and doesn't even know he's doing it.

Oh no, a player interviews poorly.

When Marner goes to another team and torches I Leafs, I hope you all remember how petty you were.

We don't know what his teammates really think. They say nice things about him but that's what professional athletes so by default so it doesn't mean anything. If you really want to know what his teammates think, you will have to wait until after he's done playing, then maybe someone will say something about him when they write a book or something, or you may never know. But as others have said - who cares?

LOL at saying he's "Extremely popular" with the fans. He's maybe the most polarizing player to play for the Leafs in the last 50 years. You have this habit of arrogantly assuming you speak for everyone, when will you ever learn?.

Judging my his social he's extremely supportive of teammates. And judging by his and others they spend a good amount of off ice time together.

Most polarizing Leafs player in the last 50? Well that's a statement you just can't back up.

We get it, you hate him, congrats.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

Do you subscribe to People magazine?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think what bothers some people is that he acts like the media is so tough on him but in reality the media helped him get his payday by slobbering over every play he made while calling him indispensable. He should be handing out Christmas cards with $$ in them to the media...not blaming them for everything the Leafs fail to achieve.

The media is hard as hell on him and that’s fine. The media should be hard on players but they take it to another level with him. Willy pre extension got ut the hardest but it’s def flipped to Marner.

Media didn’t do anything for Marner’s extension and it’s absurd to think it played any role. Dubas had a plan and it didn’t work. No one but the organization is to blame. It’s not on the players or their families to manage the teams cap

Reactions: ACC1224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad