Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
You need something to trade realisticly to get these guys , not just because you have cap space they'll magically be traded to you. Leafs trade chips to aquire a decent d-man under contract are couple prospects , Knies and 1 x 1st round pick . To get a good d it'll take 2 of the above . Dubas left the team with very little to use in trade and what we do have would probably be better to just keep them . Part of the issue they have with salary is the lack of prospects being drafyed and put into the lineup .
We couldn't aquire a decent winger for Sundin [ or a 2nd line centre ] for years when there wasn't even a cap . Couldn't aquire a good centre for Kessel . It's not as easily done as you say.

I could buy in that you could trade one of the current core guys but it would be pretty stupid just to let them walk so you have cap space to maybe trade more assets to fill. Non of your list are true number ones either , many are 2nd pair guys that would be nice but not at the expense of Marners importance .
Appreciate all the trade homework well done man!

Yes absolutely I wouldn't want someone to walk. I was moreso suggesting we could trade a core forward for a package that involves a good defenseman and it can be done rather than us being the ones paying a 1st + Knies we have them offer their version of that

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Didn't Matthews start the year with Bert and Marner? Marner feels like more of a shooter than Domi.
Excluding PK time, Marner has registered 21.84% more shots in 21.81% more ice time. That's assuming he has zero shots on the PK, and not taking PP into consideration.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

So Mitch definitely obviously hurt himself when he went around the net instead of shooting and is still embarrassed about it I guess? Like dude who cares it’s old news. Bizarre quote.

Not sure why someone on the team PR team hasn't talked to him about being defensive in interviews. It's so simple. I don't care at all myself, but his detractors just eat this nothingness up.

Sep 18, 2009
What’s that expression about simple things for simple minds? Can’t remember how it goes.

He’s risen!!
1711738008357.png

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What’s that expression about simple things for simple minds? Can’t remember how it goes.

He’s risen!!
The video is better too.

Listening to Keefe we will practice next Tuesday and then see where he's at then, so will miss Monday for sure, sounds like maybe Wednesday too, shooting for a week tomorrow.

One thing I did like in his interview he's genuinely excited for his teammates filling in while he's out, he's a great team guy for sure.

Reactions: ACC1224

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

So Mitch definitely obviously hurt himself when he went around the net instead of shooting and is still embarrassed about it I guess? Like dude who cares it’s old news. Bizarre quote.

I just don't get how it went from that question to that answer?

There has definitely been some stupid questions by our media members over the years but...yea.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yep undeservedly every spring.
The buck stops at the top and the 3 amigos, JT and Rielly are it. Lose like they did last year against Florida and you can bet they will hear it. 16 and 34 seem to be the two guys that the media can get to react. 44, 88 and 91 seem to be able to dodge the media darts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The buck stops at the top and the 3 amigos, JT and Rielly are it. Lose like they did last year against Florida and you can bet they will hear it. 16 and 34 seem to be the two guys that the media can get to react. 44, 88 and 91 seem to be able to dodge the media darts.
‘They’ is fine. It’s only ever one though, who’s now the lowest paid of the 4 forwards.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Like wtf is the guys deal though honestly he acts as if he gets attacced if anything he's the one who doesn't out of the core Willys been the whipping boy at under 7 the whole time and he hasn't given an 8th of marners defensive remarks ffs cmon mitchy

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Interesting where he slots in

I don’t think we should touch the top line for now, they’ve been really good.

I’ve been calling it for years, try nylander and Marner together. Whether it’s with Tavares in the middle or someone else, see what you got there. If Marner can set Matthews up with gross feeds, he can do the same to nylander and nylander can do the same back. Only recollection of it was back in 2018 against Boston, where Marner had 4 points and nylander had 2.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I just don't get how it went from that question to that answer?

There has definitely been some stupid questions by our media members over the years but...yea.

He's always had a difficult time with the media, especially with perceived difficult questions

I don't really care/doesn't impact my view of him as an excellent player, but it's noticable

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's always had a difficult time with the media, especially with perceived difficult questions

I don't really care/doesn't impact my view of him as an excellent player, but it's noticable

He's a very good-great player but that felt like such freebie IMO.

Fumbled such an easy answer.

Either

"Yeah, I am nursing something, it was a high ankle sprain, I will be back soon"

OR

"I did tweak something but I would prefer not to get into the nature of my injury with important games coming up down the stretch" - this basically tells the reporter, playoffs are coming up, I am trying not to get slashed in the ankle, stop asking questions but in a polite manner.

I watched the video and was hoping it came off better but nah, big fumble.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
‘They’ is fine. It’s only ever one though, who’s now the lowest paid of the 4 forwards.
:laugh::laugh:

If he played like he interviewed, he'd wouldn't even be in the NHL. It's as if his goal is to make himself the enemy of the people, just weird.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Yeah, Mitch doesn't come across great in these type of interviews. It looks to me like he's a little worried that the press are going to take something he says out of context and grill him for it. He'd probably be better off doing the Tavares and just give trite, meaningless answers to questions. Mitch needs to not take the bait (or even think about it being bait).

Reactions: ACC1224 and arso40

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

I have never seen an athlete be more immature, childish and petty than Mitch. I think his dad seriously messed him up throughout his early years and this is the result.

Answer the question dude holy shit :banghead:

Mitch Marner, wtf are you doing? The media are gentle to you. Extremely gentle. Why do think this is them vs. you?! Do you need to get your head checked? Is someone in your family listening to his golf buddies talking or what?
Imagine if the media teed off on him when he pulls his annual magical disappearing act in the playoffs 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad