Sportsnet: Mitch Marner & William Nylander rankings among right wingers

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews shot is amazing. It is not the equivalent of Laine's. There is homerism and then there is you.
Pre wrist injury Alexander Semin had the greatest wrister I have ever seen. He literally had slapshot-level velocity on that thing and he was insanely accurate with it. Funny thing is - goalies could read it no problem, but just couldn't stop it due to how insanely fast it was.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not so sure about that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who can get their shot off quicker and change angles more effectively than Matthews.

Laine obviously has an amazing shot too, but it's different. He's got that deadly one-timer but a lot of his goals look the exact same. I feel like Matthews can score in more ways.

Yeah. The problem with the Matthews vs Laine comparison for shots, is that since Laine tends to snipe from the perimeter a bunch it looks like he has the nicer technique. Matthews tends to shoot from close high danger areas, and the shorter distance and speed of it I think causes some folks to miss how technically superb he is.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Check out the history of NHL's hardest shots recorded, Laine is not even top ten. The Finns make a statement without any proof and everyone believes it without checking it out. Chara still holds the record for hardest shot at 108.8 MPH, Shea Weber 108.5 MPH, Al Iafrate 105.5 MPH, and a cast of thousands would be near that with todays sticks. Laine can be crowned having the hardest when he actually breaks the record until then .......Phfffft.

Laine definitely has one of the best shots (not hardest) in the NHL. Very well-rounded and accurate from different angles.

Gotta give him credit for that.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Probably because Laine is highly reliant on his line mates setting him up.

Nylander and Marner are a little more dynamic.

I won't be happy until I see the Finnish cult of Laine react to that list.

But I do agree Laine is not a catalyst, which is why he does his best work on the PP and is rather underwhelming with his impact at ES. That Jets PP has guys like Scheifele, Wheeler and Byfuglien who know how to get that puck to Laine at the top of the left circle.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
I won't be happy until I see the Finnish cult of Laine react to that list.

But I do agree Laine is not a catalyst, which is why he does his best work on the PP and is rather underwhelming with his impact at ES. That Jets PP has guys like Scheifele, Wheeler and Byfuglien who know how to get that puck to Laine at the top of the left circle.

For a couple of years now I have been saying that Marner And Nylander have more talent than Laine and was called crazy by the Finnish clan. It's great to see now that the hockey evaluators and experts KNOW i'm right,
it feels good when others finally take notice.

GO LEAFS GO

Reactions: leospaceman3434

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Aho ahead of them all!

Great player.

Weird since Aho has played LW most of his NHL career. Last season he played 734 of his 1100 5v5 minutes with Teravainen on the RW and Aho on the LW or at C (last 10 games or so).

I guess because NHL.com lists him as a RW, they include him there even if he didn't play there.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
At some point actual production has to outweigh whatever statistics are being used to make these rankings.

Laine should not be lower than Nylander and if this is based off of past performance, not lower than Marner either.

The guy scored 44 goals last season and 36 goals without even playing 82 games in his rookie season.

Give me a break.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Seems like a solid ranking for the most part, although Marner is definitively better than Aho - I think both these two will move their way up the ranks in the coming years though

Also, Laine at 10 is pretty comical

I believe they considered the full game of the players and not just how good of a shot they have.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
For a couple of years now I have been saying that Marner And Nylander have more talent than Laine and was called crazy by the Finnish clan. It's great to see now that the hockey evaluators and experts KNOW i'm right,
it feels good when others finally take notice.

GO LEAFS GO

You may not have noticed it but the real hockey people have known this from the beginning. Sorry to tell you that you were not the only one. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad