Sportsnet: Mitch Marner & William Nylander rankings among right wingers

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Seems like a solid ranking for the most part, although Marner is definitively better than Aho - I think both these two will move their way up the ranks in the coming years though

Also, Laine at 10 is pretty comical

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Just shows how underrated Nylander is. Absolutely terrific player. Also, interesting that it states he would be higher if not for his 22 games in 15-16.

Great to see Marner's improvement on the defensive side as well. Hard work pays off. Next step for him, would be to transition in to an elite transition player. He's good right now in that department, but his upside is one of the best in the game.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Not sure why that's surprising.

Nylander dominates Laine (and to a lesser extent Marner) at everything minus scoring points. Laine is so so overrated.
Laine is probably the worst superstar player in recent memory. he's so bad defensively, even in soft usage. he's also a bad passer. But his shot is probably the best in NHL history that it makes him a gamebreaking talent.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
We have 2 Ovechkins on our team. We really do have a video game team. #134 points

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Laine is probably the worst superstar player in recent memory. he's so bad defensively, even in soft usage. he's also a bad passer. But his shot is probably the best in NHL history that it makes him a gamebreaking talent.

Check out the history of NHL's hardest shots recorded, Laine is not even top ten. The Finns make a statement without any proof and everyone believes it without checking it out. Chara still holds the record for hardest shot at 108.8 MPH, Shea Weber 108.5 MPH, Al Iafrate 105.5 MPH, and a cast of thousands would be near that with todays sticks. Laine can be crowned having the hardest when he actually breaks the record until then .......Phfffft.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Check out the history of NHL's hardest shots recorded, Laine is not even top ten. The Finns make a statement without any proof and everyone believes it without checking it out. Chara still holds the record for hardest shot at 108.8 MPH, Shea Weber 108.5 MPH, Al Iafrate 105.5 MPH, and a cast of thousands would be near that with todays sticks. Laine can be crowned having the hardest when he actually breaks the record until then .......Phfffft.

He said best shot. Not hardest. The hardest shot on the planet isn't any good if the shooter can't hit a barn door with it.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
All you need to do is watch him shoot. Look where he scores from. His shot is completely ridiculous.

I guess you don't watch Mathews much, his shot is completely insane as stated in last nights game against the Habs by the Panel. All you have to do is watch him shoot, he can score from anywhere. Laine shoots straight shots, Mathews changes the angle something that Laine can't do.

EDIT: People give Laine to much credit for things he cant do. or for being a player he's not!

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I guess you don't watch Mathews much, his shot is completely insane as stated in last nights game against the Habs by the Panel. All you have to do is watch him shoot, he can score from anywhere. Laine shoots straight shots, Mathews changes the angle something that Laine can't do.

EDIT: People give Laine to much credit for things he cant do. or for being a player he's not!

Matthews shot is amazing. It is not the equivalent of Laine's. There is homerism and then there is you.

Reactions: cookie

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Laine's shot isn't the hardest, although it's definitely up there. his accuracy and release are also world class, and his shot arsenal is ridiculous. he can have the puck pretty much anywhere in the offensive end and beat the goalie from there with ease

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Matthews shot is amazing. It is not the equivalent of Laine's. There is homerism and then there is you.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who can get their shot off quicker and change angles more effectively than Matthews.

Laine obviously has an amazing shot too, but it's different. He's got that deadly one-timer but a lot of his goals look the exact same. I feel like Matthews can score in more ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->