Mitch Marner Versus Blake Wheeler

Who is better?

• Total voters

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Considering that both of them have 55 points as of right now what exactly makes Wheeler the better player? Goal wise Marner currently has 15, Wheeler has 7. Now in terms if assists Wheeler currently has 48 and Marner has 40.

Pretty sure Marner has more primary assists too. Wheeler may not even be the better defensive player anymore.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Is this a joke? Shut this one down. It’s Wheeler easily. Too many homer votes in this poll.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about this post.

Wheeler plays 2 more minutes a game, has 10 less ES points, half as many goals and less primary assists and his main ES linemate is closer to him in points than Tavares is to Marner. Marner is also not remotely lacking in his defensive game any longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Or laine vs Matthews
Or laine vs Marner

Leave those blowouts in the past

Most people have accepted laine will have a longer learning curve in other areas

It's the fact that he readily took the nhl on, scoring 36 and then 44 goals in his first 2 season despite being undeveloped in other areas
It's not like any other these players careers are over

Laine was equally as good as matthews was in their rookie years until the last month or 2 when laine got switched with little
Laine also had a better season than barner last year too

But yes act so smug as if you been right for the year while you continue to plan the parade every season

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Wheeler plays 2 more minutes a game, has 10 less ES points, half as many goals and less primary assists and his main ES linemate is closer to him in points than Tavares is to Marner. Marner is also not remotely lacking in his defensive game any longer.
Just homer vote for the Leaf player like you always do. No need for the lengthy post to try to justify it.

Take away the Leaf fans homer voting for Marner and my statement is correct. This is Wheeler as of now and 90% of non Leaf fans and the objective Leaf fans would agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Wow Leafs fans have invaded this thread. Acting like 2 players tied in points is an outrageous comparison and using cherry picked stats to make Marner seem better. Both players are literally tied in points but one is a big bodied winger and is miles better defensively. Why are u guys acting like this is some outrageous comparison?

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Marner is 7th in powerplay points/60 over the last 2 years. it's really not super meaningful. You still have to give a reason why the superior player is worse at the most significant aspect of hockey

You should probably shut your account down.
Why do u guys keep cherry picking stats? Why are u ignoring the fact that Wheeler kills Marner in the defensive side of the puck and is way more well rounded. Marner couldnt score at this pace without Tavares. Ever since Matthews has been quiet i guess Marner is the new overrated player pushed by Leafs nation.

Reactions: Snowman

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Wow Leafs fans have invaded this thread. Acting like 2 players tied in points is an outrageous comparison and using cherry picked stats to make Marner seem better. Both players are literally tied in points but one is a big bodied winger and is miles better defensively. Why are u guys acting like this is some outrageous comparison?
the only one acting like this is an outrageous comparison is ironically the guy who liked your post.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Just homer vote for the Leaf player like you always do. No need for the lengthy post to try to justify it.

Take away the Leaf fans homer voting for Marner and my statement is correct. This is Wheeler as of now and 90% of non Leaf fans and the objective Leaf fans would agree.

Lol any reason why other than "you're a homer" and "because I said so?"

For one thing, I don't vote for the Leaf player every time, and for another, even if I did I think it's a little more odd to vote against a specific teams players every time than vote for your own.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
the only one acting like this is an outrageous comparison is ironically the guy who liked your post.
When u take in defensive play and size its not close for Wheeler. If the 2 players had switched team u guys would be pushing the 2 way angle so hard dont even lie. Marners great but Wheelers simply just better at everything else.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Lol any reason why other than "you're a homer" and "because I said so?"

For one thing, I don't vote for the Leaf player every time, and for another, even if I did I think it's little more odd to vote against a specific teams players every time than vote for your own.
No offense but he is right. Idk why u guys need to post walls of text of random cherry picked stats. Just make ur homer vote and be on ur way.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Like the Jets fans are not voting for Wheeler. So stop putting Leafs fans in a different category.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Why do u guys keep cherry picking stats? Why are u ignoring the fact that Wheeler kills Marner in the defensive side of the puck and is way more well rounded. Marner couldnt score at this pace without Tavares. Ever since Matthews has been quiet i guess Marner is the new overrated player pushed by Leafs nation.

Scheifele is better than Tavares, and he's closer to Wheeler in points. Infact, Scheifele is a flat out better player than Wheeler, but not by as much as Marner is better than Tavares

Any more ridiculous arguments to be easily shot down?

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Scheifele is better than Tavares, and he's closer to Wheeler in points. Infact, Scheifele is flat out better player than Wheeler, but not by as much as Marner is better than Tavares

Any more ridiculous arguments to be easily shot down?
Lol shot down? Why is it that Marner never produced till he got a #1C? Please dont give me some cherry picked stat of a hot 20 game stretch he had last year or something to act like he could produce like this.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I always use 5v5 points for every comparison I make. It would be dishonest for me to pretend that all situations are equal. Yes Marner plays with Tavares, but Wheeler plays with Scheifele and a better LWer. you can't pretend Marner has the linemate advantage. Also, I don't think Wheeler kills Marner defensively

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You will most likely say this stat does not matter but Marner is +16 and Wheeler is +8. So wouldn’t that mean Marner is better when it comes to not being on the ice for goals against?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lol shot down? Why is it that Marner never produced till he got a #1C? Please dont give me some cherry picked stat of a hot 20 game stretch he had last year or something to act like he could produce like this.

Dude, this is his 3rd season in the NHL. He's 21 years old. Where was Wheeler then? Heck, even your boy Gaudreau wasn't close to Marner at the same age.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I always use 5v5 points for every comparison I make. It would be dishonest for me to pretend that all situations are equal. Yes Marner plays with Tavares, but Wheeler plays with Scheifele and a better LWer. you can't pretend Marner has the linemate advantage. Also, I don't think Wheeler kills Marner defensively
Well i dont think using 5v5 vs powerplay is a fair comparison since both are worth the same points. All that means is that Wheeler is way better on the pp than Marner. I remember when the Flames played the Jets and everytime they had a pp Wheeler was setting up Laine left and right. Should he just shrug and not do anything on the pp since according to some its inferior to 5v5? Marner gets prime time on the Leafs pp he plays with Tavares and Matthews so please dont give me the powerplay linemate excuse. They are both close but i dont see how using powerplay points should be a point taken off. Should people stop calling Ovechkin generational cause he scores lots of goals on the powerplay?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad