Mitch Marner Versus Blake Wheeler

Who is better?

• Total voters

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Cant vote my boy Marner in this one, maybe sooner than later, but the Wheel Man for now

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Wheeler just because of how complete his game is and how consistent of a plays he's become.

When Magic Man is feeling it, I think I'd take him.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Wheeler is phenomenal and slightly ahead currently. Given the ages that is subject to change at any point. Marner clearly long term

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Considering that both of them have 55 points as of right now what exactly makes Wheeler the better player? Goal wise Marner currently has 15, Wheeler has 7. Now in terms if assists Wheeler currently has 48 and Marner has 40.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Considering that both of them have 55 points as of right now what exactly makes Wheeler the better player? Goal wise Marner currently has 15, Wheeler has 7. Now in terms if assists Wheeler currently has 48 and Marner has 40.

Bigger player. Controls his side of wall as good if not better than anyone else in the league
He's a big reason the jets power play is good

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
HF bias at its finest.

Even strength points:
Marner: 40
Wheeler: 30

Should be Marner AINEC.

Wheeler is an excellent player, I don't really have any problem with him winning this one as a big Mitch and Leafs fan, I certainly don't think it's in the "AINEC" territory either way.

Wheeler is further ahead and can do more due to his frame, Marner obviously DESTROYS Wheeler's development curve.

So yeah, Wheeler now and Marner long term.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
they do, but why is the better player getting outscored at 5v5? seems as if he's not better at all
Why are you only looking at 5v5? Short handed points don't count? 4v4 doesn't count? PP doesn't count? If Marner was the better player why is he getting outscored in all these areas so badly?

Boy it's almost like you're cherry picking to fit your argument.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Why are you only looking at 5v5? Short handed points don't count? 4v4 doesn't count? PP doesn't count? If Marner was the better player why is he getting outscored in all these areas so badly?

What do you think "they do" means? Powerplay production is way more dependent on opportunity and coaching than 5v5 production. Marner doesn't get as much powerplay time as Wheeler. Not super hard to figure out why he's not getting as many powerplay points. By the way, is Connor still better than Marner?

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

The only time other situations have merit is when you have scored severely more points than another player despite slightly worse 5on5 production (See Elias Lindholm vs Ferland earlier this season. Ferland had more primary 5on5 points, but Lindholm was better in every other facet including overall scoring, so it'll be crazy to take Ferland over Lindholm). But in Wheeler vs Marner case, even if Marner scored less than Wheeler, he's clearly been the better player this season.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
*Wheeler is one of the absolute most productive PP players in the league over a period of years*

Genius brain Leaf fans: 'this is completly irrelevant to me, a very smart individual. Only 5v5 points count in hockey'

5v5 is the most important aspect for a player's offensive worth. Again it's ridiculous to take a player who has significantly more points overall than one player despite minimally less 5v5 points. However if both players have similar point productions, typically speaking the 5v5 player is superior offensively.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
*Wheeler is one of the absolute most productive PP players in the league over a period of years*

Genius brain Leaf fans: 'this is completly irrelevant to me, a very smart individual. Only 5v5 points count in hockey'
Marner is 7th in powerplay points/60 over the last 2 years. it's really not super meaningful. You still have to give a reason why the superior player is worse at the most significant aspect of hockey

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Unless and until Matthews, Marner or Rielly leads in PP points then the goal posts will be moved once again. A lot of cherry pickers on here.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad