Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He doesn’t fit in with Verbeeks style in Anaheim, and he’s signed for 1 year. They won’t be contending yet. No chance they give up the assets for him.

Perhaps. Not saying Anaheim wants out of the Gibson deal but this might be an opportunity to do it. Marner has a bigger salary but only a year of term. Gibson makes less but has more term.

Toronto gets a talented but mystery box goalie, sheds 4 million. Then they can also move on from Samsonov and go with Gibson and Woll.

Anaheim gets a good regular season and defensively conscious player who can help the young centers be successful for a year as a test drive. LA, Miami, NYC, and maybe Chicago are some of the more appealing markets. Or maybe he’s into O6?

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
We offer Mark Stone, for Marner + a couple of firsts.

Stones LTIR reliability is worth that much right?:naughty::naughty:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Apologies for not going through 25+ pages, but what are some of the more likely teams that Marner a) waive to b) have the cap/roster set up to sign him long term?
Utah? Seattle? Nashville? Are Anaheim and Chicago close enough to starting to contend to jump in?
Utah - perennially bad. No
Seattle - mediocre hockey team, not a Cup contender
Nashville - Maybe. Players like it, and in some ways he is a fit there(except his salary).
ANA - not close to being a playoff team, nvm Contender. Maybe if they get Celebrini?
Chi - worst of the bunch. Maybe if they get Celebrini?

Is Marner the shining example you want on your team for Bedard/Celebrini?

Reactions: Buttonwood

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
So I know that it's not going to be "impossible" to move a player with a No Move Clause but between Marner's big cap hit, limited term, and the fact that he can control his own destiny, I really don't see a lot of landing spots for him to go.

If we look at the cap space around the league at the end of the season, there aren't many that have a Mitch Marner sized amount of space in their cap.

View attachment 866004
they dont need space for a full marner just space for half marner. since marners contract was front loaded it's less that $4m real money to take on half his contract. i could easily see a 3rd party team eat half of that for a 1st.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I can see no scenario whatsoever in which Marner doesn’t come extremely close to going to, or does wind up going to Utah.

Cat space? Check. The desire to immediately make a splash? Chuck.

It makes too much sense for somebody who finished this season under contract with the Arizona coyotes to have been on the phone with their agent by midnight last Saturday if not noon on Sunday. If not then, well before it.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Perhaps. Not saying Anaheim wants out of the Gibson deal but this might be an opportunity to do it. Marner has a bigger salary but only a year of term. Gibson makes less but has more term.

Toronto gets a talented but mystery box goalie, sheds 4 million. Then they can also move on from Samsonov and go with Gibson and Woll.

Anaheim gets a good regular season and defensively conscious player who can help the young centers be successful for a year as a test drive. LA, Miami, NYC, and maybe Chicago are some of the more appealing markets. Or maybe he’s into O6?
Well that’s a different story haha. Depending on what goes with Gibby that definitely intrigues me. Even if Marner walked after a year.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
The kind of shakeup fans are talking about right? Seems very difficult to move the guys with the NMC though. Maybe they waive if they go together. No idea

Blue Jackets might ask for the sign/trade with Tavares and Marner. I know Gaudreau would like this move. Signs to be on a island by himself. lol.
Werenski also has a full NMC and he loves Columbus. He specifically chose to extend even as the team headed into a rebuild, even when given the option to go home to Michigan. I can't see lowkey Z waiving to go step into the Toronto media pressure cooker.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I can see no scenario whatsoever in which Marner doesn’t come extremely close to going to, or does wind up going to Utah.

It makes too much sense for somebody who finished this season under contract with the Arizona coyotes to have been on the phone with their agent by midnight last Saturday if not noon on Sunday. If not then, well before it.
I'm not so sure, Utah's strength seems to be wingers, with a need for centers and d. Not sure that Marner makes sense. Smith also seems like the type of owner who wouldn't be happy with Marner's playoff performances.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

But why would Marner waive to go to that team?

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
No one takes Marner without Toronto retaining salary and caphit.
Friedman already said that basically every team in the league wants him and 20+ teams would offer him as a UFA on the Kyper and Bourne show

Said that teams have already been calling the Leafs about him and that he would want something around Nylanders contract or a little more on an extension ($11.5M-$12M x 8 years). Also said that other teams would have no problem paying that and that if he actually does reach UFA he will have 20+ teams interested in him.

• Haha
Reactions: BTO and TS Quint

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
Marner extended should at least return same as Eichel (around the same or little less, plus he had that surgery issue) or more then Dubois return. Lets stop pretending he is a cap dump, no player this elite is given away for free.

Most likely he stays with toronto and signs the same as nylander.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Idiotic would be the habs turning that deal down. A 90+ point guy, for that junk would be a heist.

I don't want Mitch Marner anywhere near our group of young players, but I'm not worried about it at all because I have no reason to believe that Hughes would be dumb enough to bring him into this dressing room.

Last edited:

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Scratch the Blues off the list. Don’t need a soft winger and need to allocate resources towards defense.
Exactly. Dont want marner.

Marner extended should at least return same as Eichel (around the same or little less, plus he had that surgery issue) or more then Dubois return. Lets stop pretending he is a cap dump, no player this elite is given away for free.

Most likely he stays with toronto and signs the same as nylander.
Count blues out. Kyrou i would trade for brady. But parayko, binner, thomas, hofer are just not for sale. Non of our top propects will be traded either.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023

Damn, I thought the NMC started next year!

Only if he’s truly soured on Toronto, I guess. Also expecting a goodish amount of shuffling for Utah, as they’re going to be using the cap space that Arizona didn’t.

I feel like there’s room there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
Exactly. Dont want marner.

Count blues out. Kyrou i would trade for brady. But parayko, binner, thomas, hofer are just not for sale. Non of our top propects will be traded either.
Not even interested in any of the blues players, can get a better return somewhere else.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Damn, I thought the NMC started next year!

Only if he’s truly soured on Toronto, I guess. Also expecting a goodish amount of shuffling for Utah, as they’re going to be using the cap space that Arizona didn’t.

I feel like there’s room there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nylander, Matthews and Marner all had their NMCs kick in at once in same year. On top of that Dubas’s contract at MLSE also expired at the same time.

You can interpret that however you like. I would say it is no coincidence.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

The bigger question (that most Leaf fans choose to ignore) is why would either of Marner or Tavares willingly waive their NMC when they’re playing for the team they dreamed of playing for all their life, all while being paid a disgusting amount of money.

The answer is simple - they wouldn’t.

Reactions: TS Quint

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The bigger question (that most Leaf fans choose to ignore) is why would either of Marner or Tavares willingly waive their NMC when they’re playing for the team they dreamed of playing for all their life, all while being paid a disgusting amount of money.

They might say that if Toronto gets too unpleasant for them they might consider other teams, but even then, they are not going to go to Utah, CHI, CBJ, or Buffalo. They'll want to go to an appealing destination with a competitive team, and lots of cap space. Hard to come up with that team, for me.

I think you play out the string with JT and Marner, check in again with them at the TDL, and get what you can for them then.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Not even interested in any of the blues players, can get a better return somewhere else.
Lol from who. Marner just isnt a game breaker during playoffs. He isnt a blies need. He has 1 year and will want 12 mill thats insane

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019

Because toronto cabt make it out the first round. He wants a cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad