Mitch Marner the next Yakupov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
The bulk of JVR’s goals have come with Marner on another line. They were together to start, separated for a while and now back together the past week or so.

I understand. I just didn't think it was fair to say JVR doesn't seem like himself.
I think he, Mathews and Kadri (along with Andersson) have held this team together while Marner and Nylander find their legs.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
both Marner & Nylander are still on pace for 50+ points (despite laughably low shooting percentages).

The lack of self awareness is hilarious and sad.

Marner is not on pace for 50 points.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Marner's second season is about even with Pastrnak's second year where he had 26 points in 51 games. Could just as easily be Pastrnak as Yakupov.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I understand. I just didn't think it was fair to say JVR doesn't seem like himself.
I think he, Mathews and Kadri (along with Andersson) have held this team together while Marner and Nylander find their legs.
Add Marleau, Rielly and Hainsey, and I’d agree.

Most encouraging is their place in the standings when they haven’t even played particularly well. I’m excited to see them if/when they start firing on all cylinders.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
and both had rookie seasons... I'm really starting to see the pieces fall into place here.
Wait?! Every player has a rookie season!!!

mind-blown.jpg

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Add Marleau, Rielly and Hainsey, and I’d agree.

Most encouraging is their place in the standings when they haven’t even played particularly well. I’m excited to see them if/when they start firing on all cylinders.

Yeah, that's what's really promising. If Kadri and JVR can stay hot while Matthews, Nylander and Marner do what they do, the Leafs are going to be really tough to beat. It all hinges on goaltending IMO. If Andersson can even play close to the way he did last night, they could go deep.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Hey, the Oilers can somewhat be OK with the Yakupov bust when you consider that 2012 will probably go down as the worst draft of the decade.

Outside of Forsberg, absolutely abysmal.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Since the OP joined 5 days ago, it's possible he/she is new to hockey and has never heard of a sophomore slump before.

Still doesn't excuse making a dumb thread like this.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Marner is not on pace for 50 points.

That's true, my bad.

I still think he easily crosses 50 pts but looking at a strictly from a pace perspective is wrong (and my fault for making that unclear) because his (and Nylander's) percentages are a joke right now.

Reactions: Raymoondo

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
While Marner has certainly struggled this year both offensively and defensively this thread is way too early.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Maybe if 80% of the teams are elminated. In the meanwhile work on a playoff series win this decade. I have little interest how wonderful your great grandparents felt in the 30.

Flags fly forever, my friend. What the Leafs did in the 30’s is our heritage. What we won during World War 1 is our heritage.

Like I said. 10 cups is the pinnacle of hockey, and just be patient. Just be happy for now!

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
In the sense that some people thought they were both destined to immediately build upon their success and dominate and both guys failed to do so, this is true.

But Marner wont flounder for nearly as long as Yakupov has, and Marner will almost certainly continue to be the better player unless Yakupov is truly at the start of an incredible breakout.

Marner might not be the next Patty Kane, but IMO he will be an everyday top 6er, maybe top liner, for the next decade or so.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
So yeah, back to Marner. I think he’ll turn it around soon. But as long as he is playing for a top team, I’m sure he doesn’t mind. Things are obviously different if Marner is playing on, say, a 29th placed team.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Looking like it's gonna be a 5 goal, 45 point kind of year for Marner, so doesn't this make him the next Sam Gagner if anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad