Mitch Marner the next Yakupov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
In B4 someone posts reverse jinx thread. Marner fans should thank the poster. Do me a favour Bump this post if I am indeed prophetic.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
As bad as Marner as been this year, he would be the 5th highest scorer Oiler (points), only behind McDavid, Maroon and the two 6m players, RNH and Lucic.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Sorry that a line driving 20 year old sophomore is on a slump and shooting 2%. Clearly Yak.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Remember in the off-season when Leafs fans scoffed at the notion of Matthews, Marner or Nylander having a sophomore slump? They arrogantly belittled and ganged up on anybody who dared mention that matching or exceeding their rookie seasons wasn't a given.

The chickens have come home to roost.
Roosting at 2nd in the conference with Nylander and Marner having very low shooting percentage and both on pace for 50+ points. Ill take it

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Remember in the off-season when Leafs fans scoffed at the notion of Matthews, Marner or Nylander having a sophomore slump? They arrogantly belittled and ganged up on anybody who dared mention that matching or exceeding their rookie seasons wasn't a given.

The chicken have come home to roost as the Leafs struggle to...2nd in the East?

Meanwhile we spent all summer hearing how much better the Oilers were. So much more of a true contender. Oops.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
OP is pretty much the Joker trying to bring chaos to the social order of HFBoards.

And.. here... we... go

Everything burns!!!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I certainly wouldn't call him a bust or Yakupov as of yet, but 2 goals more than 1/3 of the way through the season has to be mildly concerning. For leafs fans,what do you attribute this to? Is it a change in role, linemates, nagging injury, fitness? I am anything but a leafs fan, but do watch them as they are very entertaining. Nylander hasn't produced to expectations either, but he still looks very strong on the ice. There have been a number of games that I didn't notice Marner on the ice at all.

Bad luck, bad start to the season, inconsistent play, and his shot is still pretty weak in the NHL.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

Its amazing how many times I see such generalizations like this on this board. There have been a bunch of threads on the Leafs board, one of them even a poll that asked which of the 3 would likely have a sophomore slump. Sure when you have a fan base as large as ours, theirs bound to be some crazies who are on the other extreme end, but the blind/illogical hate towards all leafs fans by some is actually fascinating.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Both players drafted highly and had decent-good rookie seasons and then fell off from there. What are your guys thoughts on Marner?
What part of his game reminds you of Nail Yakupov? I see them as very different players with very different skill sets.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
When a playmaker's line mates are in a slump, the playmaker wont get points. Although Marner deserved some of the fault earlier in the season, lately he has looked great while Bozak and JVR havent been themselves offensively.

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Even if there not showing up on the score sheet they are still very noticeable out there. I bet if Babcock just tried playing Nylander - Marner together they'd pick up big time.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
In B4 someone posts reverse jinx thread. Marner fans should thank the poster. Do me a favour Bump this post if I am indeed prophetic.
If you’ve been watching him play lately it’s fair to project a bit of a breakout. He’s been creating a lot and hasn’t really been rewarded. A lot more prime shooting chances, too.

He’s due for 7-8pts over a 4-5 game stretch anytime now.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
When a playmaker's line mates are in a slump, the playmaker wont get points. Although Marner deserved some of the fault earlier in the season, lately he has looked great while Bozak and JVR havent been themselves offensively.
JVR is on pace for 38 goals. His career high is 30.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Wait. Wasn't Sam Bennett the next Yakupov?

I think Marner and Bennett will both be fine.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
gKqNY.gif

I thought I had seen it all on HFB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad