Mitch Marner "Star" Poll: 2018 Edition

Is Marner Going To Be A Star

• Total voters

Hugh Jass

Dec 23, 2019
He's been absolutely unreal under Keefe's system
Can we all agree that 16 and 34 will more than likely tear it up the rest of the year?
Also, I liked tavarez with engvall and mikey.
Thanks for the welcome!

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Older players rather the time off. Younger guys want to be there especially if they haven't before. It's a status thing. Maybe Matthews wouldn't care, but I'd assume Marner would like to get that recognition since he hasn't made it yet.

Wow I completely forgot that he hasn't made it yet. Sucks to be on a good team since they absolutely have to send someone from every team.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He's been absolutely unreal under Keefe's system

I think the guy who will benefit most from Keefe is Nylander.

Matthews, Marner and Tavares were already great even when Babcock stifled the team with his decisions.

Nylander can benefit a lot, especially with a permanent spot with those guys on PP1.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Under Babcock: 53.9 cf% (12th) | 30.4 gf% (21st) | 48.1 xgf% (14th)
Under Keefe: 55.4 cf% (1st) | 66.7 gf% (6th) | 59 xgf% (1st)

really interesting to see his overall game turn around completely. He's been a real all around player lately.
Also, 12 5v5 points leads the team in Keefe's tenure

Since Keefe took over the Leafs and looking at the 400+ NHLers who have played at least 150 5v5 minutes, Marner leads the entire league in 5v5 points/60.........

In fact, just his 5v5 points/60 leads all other players all situations points/60.

Hes also been great defensively and on the PK.

Certainly one of the best players in the league the last month.

Reactions: Menzinger

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The hate on marner during the summer was unreal! Posters were losing their minds.

Without mitch we had 4 wins and 8 loses. With him back we have been on a roll!

Marner has a 1.3 ppg (9th in the league and highest on the team) which over an 82 game season would be 106 points. Since keefe took over, he has 17 points in 9 games. Over 82 games that would equal 155 points.

Such a skilled player. Reminds me of the magic man, pavel datsyuk.
Marner now has 2 of 3 5-point nights on the leafs...in the last decade.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Paging Andrew Berkshire. "One of the most over rated players in the league" is proving that the details in a game are not assessed by a handful of statistics with low correlations to winning games. Proxy possession statistics dont work well with players who actually possess a puck instead of shooting it every chance he gets. There is a scale of magnitude in ranking what a scoring chance is.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I LOVE what Keefe is doing with Marner, but he was a star last year as well, so give the kid a little more credit. A HF poster could coach Marner and he’d be a stud in this league, he’s drive and skill are that good.

Guy had a bad month and as I’ve been saying since I showed up here, slag Marner, you will always look the FOOL in the end. Rinse, repeat. Never bet against heart.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I drafted this guy in the 2nd round in my really competitive fantasy league. I'm pretty excited to see what he can do.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I will never forget Franzen's 4 goal, 6 point performance in the playoffs in 2009-2010. He scored 3 goals in the span of 3 minutes and 30 seconds. His 6 points on the 7 Detroit goals in that game kept the Wings alive for another game in the playoffs.

That being said, I don't know what the record is for the fastest 5 points by a player. Marner keeps on breaking records, so I wouldn't doubt it if the record holder is Marner now ;)

The ol Mule! That was quite the performance, especially in the playoffs. I gotta look up a video, it's been so long since I saw that game.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
3kdsh9 (1).jpg

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This was definitely the Marner we were all hoping/expecting to see at the start of the season.

He had a rockey start unfortunately when it came to driving primary point production, but he quickly turned it around. Proving Dubas was smart to bet on him being one of the best wingers in the league

Leafs fans are lucky to have him

Reactions: authentic

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
This was definitely the Marner we were all hoping/expecting to see at the start of the season.

He had a rockey start unfortunately when it came to driving primary point production, but he quickly turned it around. Proving Dubas was smart to bet on him being one of the best wingers in the league

posters keep saying this as though he had a terrible start
18 points in 18 games
Playing with Tavares and kappanen
So basically one third of line missing
With kappanen struggling to play left wing

Then tavares getting hurt so again another member of his line missing

Then he got hurt

all the while still killing penalties and learning how to play on the power play on his off wing

i think he overcame a lot of adversity at rge beginning of the yesr and still recorded a point per game clip

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
18 points in 18 games

Then he got hurt

all the while still killing penalties and learning how to play on the power play on his off wing

i think he overcame a lot of adversity at rge beginning of the yesr and still recorded a point per game clip

His point totals.were fine -but they were inflated due to a lot secondary assists (especially on the pp).

His primary points were very low - like Gauthier level low - for too long. (Though if thats a "slump" for Marner, ine cant get too upset as he was still getting points despite this.)

But hes shaken off that rust and is back where he should be - driving play.

Reactions: stickty111

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Why did people think Point and Aho were good comparables for Marner, again??

Because biased and flawed eye tests and raw point totals are the only true comparable here on HF dont you dare use any stats!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
18 points in 18 games

Then he got hurt

Yes his slumps are others career years. JT was off too, Kap didn’t work with them, then injuries. It was only a few weeks anyways.

I find it funny reading this primary assist stuff too, the guy was absolutely amazing last year on that front, yet we had to endure how JT was carrying him. Can never win.

Just listen to another team’s broadcast and you’ll understand how unique Marner is...

Reactions: diceman934

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Meh. I was never really worried. He was always clearly a great player. Even great players have less-than-great stretches of their careers.

All these guys, Matthews, Marner, and Tavares are going to have quiet months, starts, finishes, and whatever throughout their careers. Best not to get too worked up about it.

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad