Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread, the saga continues with Part 8 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
To Toronto: Seth Jones

To Columbus: Mitch Marner with extension

Columbus has already been rumored to have interest in Marner, and this could be a way around the offer sheet situation for Jarmo. Columbus has depth on defense to make up for some of the hit of losing Jones and Mitch would help replace the loss of their top-tier forwards to free agency. I could only see a trade like this happening if the Leafs and Marner are still extremely far off on contract negotiations before the start of the season.

IMO Jones = Marner in trade value, but the issue is the contract so if Columbus could negotiate a term and number they are happy with this could work out for both teams.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No way Columbus trades Jones. If these two teams come to a deal I think it will be more along the lines of Werenski+Bjork for Marner+Dermott. A double RW/LD swap.

Reactions: 780il

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
Why would any of these teams give anything for Marner? They would just offer sheet him if they wanted him at whatever ridiculous contract he wants. Columbus has $15M+ in cap space.

Marner has already declined an offer sheet from Columbus according to rumors, this would be a scenario where Mitch doesn't have much control. Also, does Columbus value 4 future first round picks over Jones?

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Columbus has already been rumored to have interest in Marner, and this could be a way around the offer sheet situation for Jarmo. Columbus has depth on defense to make up for some of the hit of losing Jones and Mitch would help replace the loss of their top-tier forwards to free agency. I could only see a trade like this happening if the Leafs and Marner are still extremely far off on contract negotiations before the start of the season.

IMO Jones = Marner in trade value, but the issue is the contract so if Columbus could negotiate a term and number they are happy with this could work out for both teams.

Once again why. Marner as a 90pt winger is not worth jones who is top 5-10 and RHD in the league. Also jones makes 5.4 for the next 3 years. Also TOR only has 3-4 mil in cap so it wont work out. DUBAS has done an amazing job.

Reactions: Lo97

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
Once again why. Marner as a 90pt winger is not worth jones who is top 5-10 and RHD in the league. Also jones makes 5.4 for the next 3 years. Also TOR only has 3-4 mil in cap so it wont work out. DUBAS has done an amazing job.

TOR has more cap space than that, remember Horton will be put on LTIR.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019

No way from Columbus! Columbus without Jones is a lot weaker then the Leafs are without Marner.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Yeah I don't see why Columbus does this. Unless they have another elite #1 d-man in the wings that'll take Jones role once he's gone.

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
No.

* * *​

We take Jones every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

He will not be traded.

I understand Jones has a very high value to Columbus, I just don't see anyone else on the roster who could return Marner in a trade.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
This is the fastest no from Columbus.

Jones is worth considerably more than Marner (especially when taking into account contract situations).

Werenski’s value is closer to Marner’s than Jones’ value is to Marner’s.

Reactions: Lo97 and Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Marner has already declined an offer sheet from Columbus according to rumors, this would be a scenario where Mitch doesn't have much control. Also, does Columbus value 4 future first round picks over Jones?

Of course they value Jones over 4 1st rounders.

Over the next few years Jones would also be paid less than half what Marner gets paid. That makes his trade value much much higher. Columbus would maybe consider trading Jones for Matthews, but even in that situation you'd have to wonder if it would be worth it given the 2x salary difference.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
TOR has more cap space than that, remember Horton will be put on LTIR.
Yeah but that means that marner cant signed till the season starts even then his 11-12 million is more than the 9 million you will have available. He isn't signing for that. Any way back to my original point. You don't trade top 10 #1rhd in the league for wingers who want 11-12 mil. Sorry this is a huge no. Besides you guys a have your dmen ceci and barrie. Good luck with that

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
This is the fastest no from Columbus.

Jones is worth considerably more than Marner (especially when taking into account contract situations).

Ehhh disagree. 94 point player at 22 years old yet to reach his full potential has an extremely high value. Also this trade would be based on an extension CBJ would be happy with as stated in OP.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

So let me see if I understand this right...

You are claiming that Columbus has already had contract talks with Mitch Marner and they've already made him an offer which he refused.

You are now suggesting that the player that *know* doesn't want to sign for the number they are comfortable with paying should be acquired, by them, at the expense of not only their best player, but a player that is clearly better than Mitch Marner and then, after the dust settles, they now have the rights to Mitch Marner and they know he doesn't want to sign for the number they think is right.

Bizarrely, you think that Marner "doesn't have much control" despite the fact that he would have all the control in the world because he would be an unsigned free agent that Columbus inexplicably just gave up their best asset to acquire even though they were able to negotiate with him and offer him a contract before making a lop-sided, franchise crashing trade.

Sounds like a brilliant idea.

Let me just take a wild stab in the dark here... you're not a Columbus fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad