Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread, the saga continues with Part 8 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
lol, no. Jones isn't going anywhere

Top pairing young potential star defenseman + young potential 30+ scoring powerforward for young top line star forward? Nah.

Werenski + small something for Marner is fair. But Anderson is way too big of a +.

Teixier then?

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Ehhh disagree. 94 point player at 22 years old yet to reach his full potential has an extremely high value. Also this trade would be based on an extension CBJ would be happy with as stated in OP.

Do you think Marner is going to do something like an 8x8? Pretty sure he isn’t and that’s what it would take to even be in the ballpark of Jones at 5ish for 3 more years.

You JUST said that Marner apparently shot down an attempt by CBJ to offer sheet him. This would mean he is NOT willing to sign for a price CBJ are comfortable with.

I absolutely love Marner and I’m not a CBJ fan (for context).

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Ehhh disagree. 94 point player at 22 years old yet to reach his full potential has an extremely high value. Also this trade would be based on an extension CBJ would be happy with as stated in OP.

Dude seriously, take off the H glasses and use your critical thinking skills. Jones top 5 #1 RHD 24 years old gets 50 pts and is signed for 3 more years at 5.4 million. Or a 90 pt winger who wants 12 million. Seriously think about this. The #1RHD is a unicorn in this league and for him to tbe top 5-10 in the league while also using 45% less cap space then the 90pt winger you want to trade for him. Its a no brainer. I wouldn't trade parayko straight up for marner so why would Colmbus trade Jones for him.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
It really depends on how highly they value Marner, because I agree that an argument can be made for Jones > 4 first rounders

More than an argument can be made that Jones < 4 1sts. That's just bad.

I understand Jones has a very high value to Columbus, I just don't see anyone else on the roster who could return Marner in a trade.

Then don't ask. Jones goes no where.

Reactions: Viqsi and Dumais

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
So let me see if I understand this right...

You are claiming that Columbus has already had contract talks with Mitch Marner and they've already made him an offer which he refused.

You are now suggesting that the player that *know* doesn't want to sign for the number they are comfortable with paying should be acquired, by them, at the expense of not only their best player, but a player that is clearly better than Mitch Marner and then, after the dust settles, they now have the rights to Mitch Marner and they know he doesn't want to sign for the number they think is right.

Bizarrely, you think that Marner "doesn't have much control" despite the fact that he would have all the control in the world because he would be an unsigned free agent that Columbus inexplicably just gave up their best asset to acquire even though they were able to negotiate with him and offer him a contract before making a lop-sided, franchise crashing trade.

Sounds like a brilliant idea.

Let me just take a wild stab in the dark here... you're not a Columbus fan?

The trade would be contingent on a reasonable contract extension that is mutually agreed upon. Marner does have control but if it's looking like he will not be able to play next season it might bring him down to a number/term that Columbus is happy with. I also wouldn't say that Jones is clearly better than Marner, what is your argument based on? It all comes down to what Columbus needs more in their system right now, and that would definitely be top end forward talent due to losing all of their own to free agency. Acquiring Mitch Marner is far from a "franchise-crashing" trade. Columbus has depth on defense, which would make up for some of the loss. They simply don't have enough up front anymore in order to be a contender, and Jarmo is known to make big splashes in order to put his team back in contention.

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
Dude seriously, take off the H glasses and use your critical thinking skills. Jones top 5 #1 RHD 24 years old gets 50 pts and is signed for 3 more years at 5.4 million. Or a 90 pt winger who wants 12 million. Seriously think about this. The #1RHD is a unicorn in this league and for him to tbe top 5-10 in the league while also using 45% less cap space then the 90pt winger you want to trade for him. Its a no brainer. I wouldn't trade parayko straight up for marner so why would Colmbus trade Jones for him.

Marner is a top 5 winger and 22 years old, same difference. Value is situational when talent is more or less equal, some teams will value Marner higher than Jones based on organizational need and vice versa. CBJ needs high-talent forwards, which would make Marner more valuable to them than other teams. For example, Colorado needed to fill a hole at 2C and everyone on here would have balked at Kadri for Barrie/Kerfoot before the trade happened. COL made that deal to make their team better, where most people would have seen that value as not even.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
If Toronto gets Seth Jones....they winning the cup man.

frightening defense with Tavares, Matthews and Spezza up front.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Marner is a top 5 winger and 22 years old, same difference. Value is situational when talent is more or less equal, some teams will value Marner higher than Jones based on organizational need and vice versa. CBJ needs high-talent forwards, which would make Marner more valuable to them than other teams.

I get what you are trying to say. It has been Established that the pecking order in the nhl for positional value goes like this.
#1RHD
#1LHD
#1c
#1WINGER

So like is said Trading jones for Marner is a no go. You don't trade a unicorn for a stallion you just don't. Also If CLB was really wanting to grab a talent they could have offer sheeted one that was available. You failed to mention how one wants 12 million and the other more valued assest makes 45% less. Like I said teams don't trade their big RHD #1 dmen. Look at the blues their defence just won a cup. Jones is untouchable so you should probably stop asking for him.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I understand Jones has a very high value to Columbus, I just don't see anyone else on the roster who could return Marner in a trade.
Do Not Want Marner.
Werenski for Marner : yes

Jones for Marner : no
I wouldn't do either deal. CBJ needs another top6 center over a high priced winger IMO. PLD is the only top 6 center we have and is going to be facing the toughest competition every night. Nobody is going to care about a line center by Jenner, Wennberg or Foligno.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
I get what you are trying to say. It has been Established that the pecking order in the nhl for positional value goes like this.
#1RHD
#1LHD
#1c
#1WINGER

So like is said Trading jones for Marner is a no go. You don't trade a unicorn for a stallion you just don't. Also If CLB was really wanting to grab a talent they could have offer sheeted one that was available. You failed to mention how one wants 12 million and the other more valued assest makes 45% less. Like I said teams don't trade their big RHD #1 dmen. Look at the blues their defence just won a cup. Jones is untouchable so you should probably stop asking for him.
Not that I'm saying Columbus should do the trade, but you can't automatically say Jones is a RD so he can't be traded. Do you remember how Columbus got him in the first place? Everyone knew that Seth Jones would be better than Johansen, but Nashville was dealing from a position of strength to shore up a weakness they had. Obviously the situation isn't the same but Columbus has strength on the back end and is looking for top end forward talent, and it really doesn't get much better than Marner.

Reactions: NyIander

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
I'm really at a lost for words here.

I guess, people want a panarin replacement? But at twice the cost and without another top 6 center (MIA Duchene) and losing 1/2 of our top pair....I just fail to see the logic in any of this

wow

Reactions: Lo97

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
lol, no. Jones isn't going anywhere

Top pairing young potential star defenseman + young potential 30+ scoring powerforward for young top line star forward? Nah.

Werenski + small something for Marner is fair. But Anderson is way too big of a +.
Lol potential potential for sure thing. Nah. Keep the potential.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The other side of the coin is that Jones is a UFA 3 years from now and you gotta think he's likely to walk at that point just based on the fact that all their other UFA's just walked so why would he be any different? Marner on the other they'd have control over for longer which is a pretty big factor that bumps up his value relative to Jones.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Jones has the chance to be the best RHD in league for the foreseeable future and Marner has the chance to be the best RW in league as well. I'm taking the RHD over the RW every time.

In a broader context Columbus might feel incentived to make that trade because Marner is the type of player with the type of playing style that puts butts in seats. From a team building perspective I don't think shuffling Jones for Marner makes them noticeably better or worse on the aggregate though, and Jones has a much better contract.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
To Toronto: Seth Jones

To Columbus: Mitch Marner with extension

Columbus has already been rumored to have interest in Marner, and this could be a way around the offer sheet situation for Jarmo. Columbus has depth on defense to make up for some of the hit of losing Jones and Mitch would help replace the loss of their top-tier forwards to free agency. I could only see a trade like this happening if the Leafs and Marner are still extremely far off on contract negotiations before the start of the season.

IMO Jones = Marner in trade value, but the issue is the contract so if Columbus could negotiate a term and number they are happy with this could work out for both teams.

Absolutely not. Columbus isn't trading Jones unless it improves the team both short and long term. Here's what that would mean to me:

Young Franchise #1 C signed to long term contract. If Columbus is taking on dollars, then either the other team retains down to Jones cap cost OR adds multiple #1 picks and high end prospects.

Reactions: Lo97 and Dumais

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The trade would be contingent on a reasonable contract extension that is mutually agreed upon. Marner does have control but if it's looking like he will not be able to play next season it might bring him down to a number/term that Columbus is happy with. I also wouldn't say that Jones is clearly better than Marner, what is your argument based on? It all comes down to what Columbus needs more in their system right now, and that would definitely be top end forward talent due to losing all of their own to free agency. Acquiring Mitch Marner is far from a "franchise-crashing" trade. Columbus has depth on defense, which would make up for some of the loss. They simply don't have enough up front anymore in order to be a contender, and Jarmo is known to make big splashes in order to put his team back in contention.

Trading a young, stud, #1 defensemen for a one diminesional undersized high scoring winger is beyond idiotic.

You actually need to ask what my "argument" that Jones is worth more is based on? There's no argument here, anyone beyond Leaf fans with blue and white face paint and pom poms in their hands would be able to tell you that Seth Jones is worth more.

With his age, talent and contract he's one of the most valuable assets in the entire league. You trade proposal is laughable.

Also - how are the Jackets signing him to a contract that like if you claim that he has already turned down an offer sheet from them? That tells you that Marner doesn't like what they think is a fair financial offer.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Why would any of these teams give anything for Marner? They would just offer sheet him if they wanted him at whatever ridiculous contract he wants. Columbus has $15M+ in cap space.
When you offer sheet a player there is no gaurantee you'll get the player.
When you trade for a player they become your property.

Reactions: TML1990

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Do you think Marner is going to do something like an 8x8? Pretty sure he isn’t and that’s what it would take to even be in the ballpark of Jones at 5ish for 3 more years.

You JUST said that Marner apparently shot down an attempt by CBJ to offer sheet him. This would mean he is NOT willing to sign for a price CBJ are comfortable with.

I absolutely love Marner and I’m not a CBJ fan (for context).

Means he's not prepared to leave Toronto.
If he were traded he may be more than willing to sign for what he was previously offered.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Marner at 8 x 9 for that package would be fair for both sides.
Defenseman (especially a RHD) > Right Wing (Atkinson, Anderson, Bjorkstrand)
Whats the Average cap hit for a #1D? Seth Jones falls under that.
Offer Mathews (retained at 9m) and I'll take your phone call.

We Do Not Need A Winger. We Need A Center.

When is this going to be locked?

Reactions: majormajor

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Marner would need to sign a contract about as sweet as Jones for this to be fair-ish value. And if he's signing that type of deal, the Leafs arent trading him.

Reactions: cydawg

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Lol potential potential for sure thing. Nah. Keep the potential.

Werenski is already a top pairing defenseman. I figured I'd be called a homer if I called him a star, so I didn't. Call him what you want.

Reactions: Viqsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->