Proposal: Mitch Marner for Seth Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Talk about a block-buster. It immediately upgrades Columbus’ offence and Toronto’s defence. It would be a painful trade for both teams but one where they are ultimately trading from an area of strength to cover an area of weakness.

What are your guys thoughts? Is this fair value going each way?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No. At the rate he's playing, and with the contract he has, we're not trading Jones at all. Not "only if you offer X" - no trade, full stop.

There's also something to be said about trying to get an elite blueliner for an elite winger (that generally doesn't work), but that's overelaborating at this point.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Talk about a block-buster. It immediately upgrades Columbus’ offence and Toronto’s defence. It would be a painful trade for both teams but one where they are ultimately trading from an area of strength to cover an area of weakness.

What are your guys thoughts? Is this fair value going each way?

Huge no from Columbus. Jones is one of the best defensemen in the NHL and is on an excellent contract.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Easy no from Leafs

Disagree, trade is fine in terms of value.

Jones is already a number 1 d, maybe even top 10 already, he clearly has excellent potential.

CBJ obviously says no, but simultaneously depending on how high they saw Marner's ceiling, they might consider it....for a few minutes anways.

Reactions: 780il

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Disagree, trade is fine in terms of value.

Jones is already a number 1 d, maybe even top 10 already, he clearly has excellent potential.

CBJ obviously says no, but simultaneously depending on how high they saw Marner's ceiling, they might consider it....for a few minutes anways.
The only reason we'd have to go for Marner, given the price tag, would be if he can replace Panarin. He's got that potential upside, but he's not there yet. And we're still not trading Jones for, well, anything.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Seth just coming into his own, Marner has sky high offensive potential. A painful trade to be sure ! Leafs can survive without Mitch , Jones fills in that needy D spot. I bet PLD becomes a star with Marner on his wing, but can Columbus fill the D vacancy?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Hahahahahah. Easy easy no from CLB. Jones is closer to Matthews than Marner. You could put forth a valid argument that hes worth more than Mattews. Young RH #1d dont come cheap at all. We offered Drai from the Oilers and got shut down hard, if they said hard pass to Drai then theres no way in hell they accept a winger for him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I could see a day when the CBJ really want to upgrade their scoring (like if Panarin leaves) and I could see the Leafs talking to them to balance out their roster and core, and I would expect something in the realm of Jones, Werenski, Nylander, Marner and other things in some combination. But that's not for a little while yet.

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

northstar55

Jul 3, 2018
If this trade went through and the Leafs got Jones for Marner, I would be more pumped than I was at 1:04pm on July 1st when I realized we got Tavares.

Reactions: zar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad